onk v/s yammy v/s pioneer

M

msconfig

Audiophyte
ONKYO TX-NR801 vs PIONEER VSX-1015TXK vs yamaha RX-V2500
I've tried my best to narrow down to my 3 fav. mid range receivers... (some reason I can't go for the Denon) I really need some help with making a choice -- I almost bought the onk 702 last week from j&r it was a refirb for $399 -- feeling sorry I didn't -- but something held me back.....

OK Questions
1.for the Pioneer owners/lovers -- how much of a difference does teh thx select2 make on the VSX1015 -- how does it hold its own -- noticed that teh THD was a 0.08 -- double that of the yamy.... (price wise it is almost half the cost)

2. onk -- does it hold its own against the 2500??? it has some great features (rj45 connector and all) and I do love onkyo's and I've read some awesome reviews about the onk800

3. I'm really leaning towards the yammy as you can see but does the YPAO really work that great?? and is it really the best choice head on with the others?

can some one just pick one of the above and don't try to push a Denon on me! thank you!!!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Out of those, the Yamaha wins by a large margin. The Pioneer is half the price of the Yamaha at new retail. Don't get me wrong, the Pioneer is a great unit. If you can afford it, go for the 2500 and don't look back (IMNSHO).

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I wouldn't say the Yammy wins by a large margin, but it is the best unit out of the three, especially if you have any plan at all to add a seperate amp later. If not, I say go with the Pioneer and spend the extra $500 you save on better speakers or a new universal player

M

msconfig

Audiophyte
thanks --

any suggestions on lowest price to buy the 2500 w/ man. warr.?? also how would a bose AM16 mach up with the receiver?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
msconfig said:
any suggestions on lowest price to buy the 2500 w/ man. warr.?? also how would a bose AM16 mach up with the receiver?
I don't think that the bose speakers are worthy of the Yamaha.
Take your time and read some of the speaker reviews on this site. Audition some speakers yourself, if possible, and you will hear what I mean. There are a lot of quality speakers available for the $1K+ you would pay for the bose.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
msconfig said:
no not bose, if you recently bought it and can take it back thats what I'd suggest...., but on the yammy, I want to say that Yamaha requires all the authorized retailers to sell the 2500 at the msrp of $999.99, now, maybe if you went into a shop you could negotiate the price, but thats the only price I've seen it for at an authorized retailer.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
msconfig said:
OK Questions
1.for the Pioneer owners/lovers -- how much of a difference does teh thx select2 make on the VSX1015 -- how does it hold its own -- noticed that teh THD was a 0.08 -- double that of the yamy.... (price wise it is almost half the cost)
The THX Select 2 can only be used for 7.1, with a 6.1 it can not be used. At this point I have a 6.1 so I can not say on this matter. But as far as the THD, I truly feel it may have been a misprint in the manual. Even if not a misprint, by chance I finally decided to open up mine and see slightly what it can do. Mainly for testing my E250P. The gain volume on the E250 was just under 3/4. The trim volume for the sub on the 1015 was set at -10. The loudest I have ever used the 1015 was at about -18 of reference. I decided to go up to -9 for Terminator 3. And I will say, all that say the JBL "sucks, sucks, and really sucks" You are misinformed. (the E150 does suck, it distorts at low volume and bottoms out very easy) There was absolutely no distortion that my brother or myself could hear. Other than the distortion from the rattle of the walls and the hanging mirrors and the floor and the chairs. I had went around to each speaker to listen for distortion, "none".

Now back to the JBL, I am not talking about the chair shaking. I can easily feel the soundwaves coming off of the JBL pounding my chest and whole body. And remember it is still no where near its peak. Also it is set as low (-10) as the receiver will allow. With receiver well below reference level volumes (set at -9, reference level set for 0).

If you can swing the 2500 Yamaha for a good deal, then by all means get it.
If you are looking to save a few bucks, or add the savings somewhere else in your system, then I would highly recommend the 1015.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
Why not take a look at the Yamaha RX-V1500? Same build quality and same sleek look. It has only a couple less bells and whistles than the RX-V2500 and is $200 cheaper.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
If you are looking for a Pioneer unit to compare to the Yammie 2500, you should look at the Elite VSX-54tx. You can get the 54 from elegantaudiovideo.com less than $675 shipped, with the 2 year warranty. The 1015 has more digital inputs, so if that is a big priority, stick with that one; however, the 54 does zone 2, uses larger capacitors, and other things that go with the elite line.

For me, it would be a bit of a toss up between the 2500 and the 54, when I made my choice I went with the 54 and I am very happy with that choice! If I were choosing between the 2500 and the 1015, I would choose the 2500.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Xsound said:
If you are looking for a Pioneer unit to compare to the Yammie 2500, you should look at the Elite VSX-54tx. You can get the 54 from elegantaudiovideo.com less than $675 shipped, with the 2 year warranty
I dont think that is listed as an authorized internet dealer on pioneer's website

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
For a more comparable Pioneer, check out the VSX-9300TX. It is basically a clone of the Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi. The only features missing are the 56's i.link and the heavyweight solid aluminum door in front(it's a lighter aluminum skin with a metal frame).

Check out this link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4155_123728213,00.html

It's the same receiver with the exception of the features I named above. Just picture it without the Elite logo on the front and that's it. It is available at www.vanns.com an authorized Pioneer e-retailer) for $799 with free shipping and no tax(unless you live in Montana). The 9300TX is on sale, but it's regular price is $1,099. Plus you have the option of buying the JBL E150P for only an extra $50 with the Pioneer. That sub sells for $400 at Best Buy. If you don't need it, you could always e-bay it for a couple hundred and make some of your money back.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
Spiff, you are right they are not listed on Pioneers web-site as an authorized web dealer, but then neither is my local authorized dealer. I ended up calling Pioneer to double check that my local business was indeed an authorized dealer, and the phone rep said that even though he didn't see it on his list he was pretty sure that they were an authorized dealer because he thought he had heard of them! He told me I would have no problem with the warranty.

I called elegantaudiovideo and their service arrangement is basically they, through an authorized service center, will repair for the 2 year warranty. There is no authorized service center here, so any repair would require a mailing of my unit. I would just as soon have the place I bought it do it for me. All of my research indicates that they follow through.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Xsound said:
Spiff, you are right they are not listed on Pioneers web-site as an authorized web dealer, but then neither is my local authorized dealer. I ended up calling Pioneer to double check that my local business was indeed an authorized dealer, and the phone rep said that even though he didn't see it on his list he was pretty sure that they were an authorized dealer because he thought he had heard of them! He told me I would have no problem with the warranty.

I called elegantaudiovideo and their service arrangement is basically they, through an authorized service center, will repair for the 2 year warranty. There is no authorized service center here, so any repair would require a mailing of my unit. I would just as soon have the place I bought it do it for me. All of my research indicates that they follow through.
awesome go for it then

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis