Onix x-sub question

J

jsanfilippo5

Junior Audioholic
IN the manual it say for best sound hooki up your x-ls directly to the high level inputs on the sub... Should I set it up this way or use the amps LFE out?

Little ocnfused....

Thanks in advance

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Don't know why it says that, because that makes absolutely no sense. I would use the LFE, especially if you have a decent receiver. I would set the receiver's x-over to "80hz" and set the fronts to "small", see how that sounds. Make sure that you bypass the x-over on the sub by using the LFE input and setting the sub's x-over to maximum.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jsanfilippo5 said:
IN the manual it say for best sound hooki up your x-ls directly to the high level inputs on the sub... Should I set it up this way or use the amps LFE out?

Little ocnfused....

Thanks in advance
For optimal results, you want to crossover the mains to the subwoofer(s) with a line-level active crossover with the final acoustic target slopes matching. The only practical way for this to occur is to use an external unit or the integrated unit in the receiver(assuming the receiver has appropriate settings for the circumstance). If you have 2 way speakers, you will also substantially reduce distortion[in the majority of cases] by filtering LF from the mains. I can only speculate that the manual section stating such as you posted is (1) a typo or some other communication error [or] (2) incompetence on part of the manufacturer.

-Chris

S

Sean Parque

Junior Audioholic
jsanfilippo5,

Could you let me know where in the manual it states that? I was unable to locate it but if it does say that, I would like to correct it ASAP.

On page 16, in situations where high level only connection is possible, we recommend running the main amplifer speaker cables to the speakers. Then either run another set of speakers cables from the main amp to the high level ins on the sub plate amp OR run a short piece of speaker cable from the main speaker binding posts to the sub plate amp high level inputs. Yes, this does run a full range signal to the mains however this is better than running the signal through the sub plate amp first and then onto the speakers as that can cause some smearing and possibly a hole in the frequency response.

Thanks,

Sean

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis