P

Pianoman84d

Audioholic
Wow.

These big babies speakers do everything right.

I now have the speakers set up properly with a bit of toe in pointing them about one foot behind my head at the sweet spot and they produce a solid center image.

All listening unless denoted otherwise is done in Stereo with the Onix X-Sub

On a very tough imaging test (Neil Young's "Look Out for My Love" from the unplugged album), they did an admirable job placing all of the guitars across the stage. When they trade solos about 4 minutes into the song, they went in a steady progression from left to right as they should.

On Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight (Live) from Just One Night, the applause of the crowd seems to extend beyond the edges of the left and right speakers which is a laudable feat in my room as there is not much room on either side of them.

On Jason Mraz's Bella Luna from MR. A-Z, everything is balanced. If I was asked to sum these speakers up in one word it would be balanced.

I listened without the X-sub engaged to the opening of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue to test the X-LS' ability to deal with bass. I really did not feel I was missing anything without the X-Sub for jazz.
Another thing to the X-LS credit. They made me feel that Miles Davis and the band were hanging out in the room with me!! That Trumpet was so smooth!! I could not believe it. It never had the bite that it had with other speakers I have heard it on. I love Kind of Blue (isn't that a cliche) and could listen to it all day on these speakers.

I think the review on this site pretty much sums MLS's little beauties up. They get out of the way and let you just enjoy the music.

I hope you enjoyed my little review!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nice man, congrats. Good to hear from someone who actually owns them. What other speakers have you listened to that you could compare some traits to? I'm now waiting to see if they do release a larger MTM bookshelf (not the center), as it was alluded to on the AV123 forum. I'm looking for something a little more substantial than my 902s (which I am happy with).

P

Pianoman84d

Audioholic
Hey J_Garcia.

I am new at this hobby and really did not listen to much else that is worthy of comparison as I owned the Fluance AV-HTB package prior to the Onixes and that is it. I can tell you that the Onixes are detailed without being bright. and I would affirm what the audioholics review said about getting out of the way and letting the music through.

I did have a bit of a hard time positioning them, but I think that is because of my room (very small) and inexperience. I think that these are big bookshelves and if they went with a bigger design it would overpower my room (at least).

I'm still enjoying them!!

While I'm at it, I should add that I measured the X-sub down approximately 4db at 26hz. Thats pretty good for a $200 sub. Also it is very musical.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I am wondering about the other speakers following this one. MTM style floorstanding model is one, that I read about somewhere, that I would be very interested in. that's going to be awhile though.:(

I guess i'll should just fork out the extra money on the asends 340se's and see if that makes me happy.

SBF1

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis