One Ultra or Two Plus’s

R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
I have been going back and forth on this forum about what subwoofer to buy for a while now. I finally decided on a PB13 Ultra, for multiple reasons. However, now my fiancée and I have decided to start looking at new houses. Thus, I do not know the room dimensions of the new home theater room, I will have one! I could wait to get the sub but we may not move for several months.

My question is: Should I still buy the Ultra now or should I buy a Plus and then buy another Plus down the road if needed. Wouldn’t two pluses blow on Ultra out of the water? If the room is smaller than what I have now could an ultra be too much, please be nice (I know you can’t have too much sub). I was thinking that one Plus now and a new Plus if needed would give me the most flexibility. Also the Ultra is 1700 shipped while the Plus is 1240 shipped. Money is a little tight with the wedding too. Don’t get me wrong I love the Ultra but terminating the free shipping really sucks.

Oh and did I say my fiancée is buying the sub

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thus, I do not know the room dimensions of the new home theater room, I will have one! I could wait to get the sub but we may not move for several months.
cant go wrong with one ultra for now, jmo

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
You have to remember that doubling the subwoofers does not double the output...you will however have more even room response if you locate each subwoofer dilligently. Given your situation, I would just go and buy the Ultra now and get another down the road, if you want and even need a second subwoofer. Seeing as you are talking about having a single subwoofer to begin with going with the Ultra is a no-brainer...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Two pluses would be able to get louder, but the ultra will sound better. However if you get the plus now, and you want another down the road, being a repeat customer will save you 5% on your next purchase from svs. Not to mention running dual subs will help with room modes, and also help smooth out frequency responce.

R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
I just spoke with the guys at SVS and they said go with the Plus. All things considered i agree. Money being tight i can always buy a 2nd dwon the road and a Plus is an ungrade, a huge upgrade, from a PSW10. Thanks for all the help. Now is i can pick up a used Ultra cheap I may go that way.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Two pluses would be able to get louder, but the ultra will sound better. However if you get the plus now, and you want another down the road, being a repeat customer will save you 5% on your next purchase from svs. Not to mention running dual subs will help with room modes, and also help smooth out frequency responce.
One could also get an SMS used of Audiogon for 300 bucks. And smooth out the response that way.:)

You could also use a BFD or a DCX.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
One could also get an SMS used of Audiogon for 300 bucks. And smooth out the response that way.:)

You could also use a BFD or a DCX.
You could always get two subs and an eq... along with a lot of other stuff.

R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
I thoght my denon reciever did that with the mic

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
I thought my denon receiver did that with the mic

i think the on board room tunning has problems compensating for low freq produced by subs and just picks a generic setting....

i say the OP should get 2 ultras lol wifie buys one and you buy the other... :) better screw the photos to the wall...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis