one pic, one sub, two R's

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
muhahahahha!

So I have my 1000R up in the classifieds, but I'm thinking of keeping it and running them both. thoughts?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So I have my 1000R up in the classifieds, but I'm thinking of keeping it and running them both. thoughts?
Thoughts? Jealousy, really. That's just about all that I can think right now. :D

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
my dilemma though is this

I'll put the 15 where the 10 now resides(on bottom there), but the only place I have to put the 10 is in the upper portion of the cabinet on a shelf. I don't know how good of an idea it is to put it on the shelf. Maybe there is a way to firm things up with the shelf to make it work?

Acoustically though I assume there is no issue with having them share the same area? I really don't have an option of putting them anywhere else.

So if I can't make it work, I'll just part with the 1000R.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
You really have NO other option? There's gotta be some place to put it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If you have to put it in the shelf area, could you put it on the very bottom (not on a shelf) and move the other equipment up?

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
The cabinet resides in a sort of island in the middle of the home. The ceiling is vaulted. All tile floors, no where to hide wires. So there really is no where else to put it. I need to somehow modify that space to make it work.

I really can't move the Denon from the bottom, not 100% sure if all wires would make the trip up a couple feet. I suppose I could, but it would require removing the cabinet from the wall.

Any other ideas?

What if I framed out an area in the upper portion of the box and sort of made a cabinet within the cabinet and housed it there? The cabinet is all 3/4 ply, I could screw in some 1x's and frame it out fairly easily. The tough part is finishing the borders...

Last edited:
K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
See that? You're almost done.
So jewelery box jobs like this are a PITA. Quite a bit of work to get the screen to proper size yet. It is unreal how much more presence the 15 has than the 10''. Couch is vibrating, mission accomplished.

B

brulaha

Audioholic
Ummm...I don't think my HGS will fit in there....I love velodyne....contgrats on the purchase.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nice sub!! Whatever you do.....don't put your subwoofer into a hole in the wall:eek:

Just remember 2 things.....

1. Hole in the wall bad
2. Open space good

:)

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
1. Hole in the wall bad
2. Open space good

I am so totally with you. The problem is I really can't put crap anywhere else. It's truly a shame when you're walking down the stairs of your crib and realize you've hit the bass sweet spot of your set up, but that is what I've done. I've got major WAF, but yet a little mission impossible or 007 shakes the couch so I've nothing to really complain. Deck was stacked against me, but that given it's pretty darn good...

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
I bet you if I was there I could find at least 8 positions:p! But seeing we have a limited view of the room’s surroundings there’s no way of telling.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nice sub!! Whatever you do.....don't put your subwoofer into a hole in the wall:eek:

Just remember 2 things.....

1. Hole in the wall bad
2. Open space good

I don't think that is an issue here. All the bass fires forward, do I don't think a backwall is necessary.

Have you ever placed a sub in a hole? What did you find between the hole and just a normal cubby hole?

SheepStar

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
In the cinema it's called a THX baffle wall but that was clearly no THX baffle wall.:D

Still experiments are welcomed it’s all about trail and error.:)

Last edited:
Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
It's truly a shame when you're walking down the stairs of your crib and realize you've hit the bass sweet spot of your set up, but that is what I've done.
I have that too, I don't think it's because of your sub placement. When I get about halfway down my stairs to the home theater the bass is ridiculous, like it all collects there. Not sure what the explanation is.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
I have that too, I don't think it's because of your sub placement. When I get about halfway down my stairs to the home theater the bass is ridiculous, like it all collects there. Not sure what the explanation is.
Wavelength of the lower frequencies mate and the high sound pressure levels as well you need a few feet of concrete to contain it to the room if that worries you.

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic

You're probably right. Mine fires right at the stairwell which is essentially a large box so it is not surprising that it resonates.

Here is the room setup, it's an enormous open space with vaulted 24' ceilings common to 3 rooms and open to the second floor. Talk about a difficult space to fill....

You can see just on the right where the stereo and sub are... just right is the stairs to the 2nd floor you can't see. Here is a shot from the listening position.

The real problem is that I cannot run wires to the rear for extra speakers. I spent several hundred $ to run rear speaker wires and I didn't have the foresight to run an extra RCA. With tile floors and vaulted ceilings there is nothing you can do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis