One of my handiest DIY tools

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I found this on ebay cheap.

Turned it into this.

It's variable speed and I use a wedge to hold the trigger on. There is a speed adjustment on the trigger itself. It's one of the most used tools around my shop, especially for cutting little (or large, for that matter) metal bits, shortening screws and bolts, wood, plastic, you name it. It will cut moderate curves, or, you can use a series of flat cuts and sand to the line to fair it out he rest of the way, or a nibble approach for tighter inside radiuses by cutting a series of finger cuts to the line and then using the blade like one might a power file of sorts.

I also have an older Craftsman 12" saw that I have tuned to work really well with higher quality Lenox blades, that are 100x better than the ones the box stores carry, which are absolute junk comparatively. It's not uncommon to find these old Craftsman saws for 75 bucks. I set one up at my job as well and it stands 3 feet away from a Delta professional band saw and yet everyone prefers the cheap one because it is set up right. No, you can't really do something like resaw work with it but for common tasks, they are hard to beat.

Still, for a do-all, table top band saw, this one is the bee's knees and elbows. I have the exhaust vent positioned to blow the waste away from the blade as you cut so you can always see your line. I used it to trim the rods for my speaker grilles. It cuts steel or stainless like butter, using only bar soap for lube so there's no oil mess. The frame on this one is welded aluminum, but I imagine someone could create a bolt together stand.

One bolt is all it takes to turn it back into it's original configuration.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
that's a cool idea. now you have a dual purpose saw to keep in the trailer instead of going back to the shop for the vertical band saw.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis