One Minute Review: Belkin Pure AV Banana Plugs

nav

nav

Audioholic
Since I'm beautifying my makeshift home theater room slowly as well as moving some of the components to my so-called "Budget Listening Room", one of the things I recently had an excuse to purchase was a couple sets of Belkin's Pure AV Banana Plugs. While the official MRSP ($19.99 per set of four) may be a little steep, a set can be obtained more reasonably for around ten to twelve dollars. The price is far from the cheapest around, but I was willing to pay a bit for looks, non-fully conductive plugs (I'm a touch paranoid, I suppose), and the lack of crimping (which would kill any chance of recycling the plugs).

The contents of the package (figure 2) are a small manual, a small wrench, and four relatively standard three piece banana plugs. Unscrewing the bottom of a plug leaves its center exposed and a small screw lock can be seen. Using the little wrench to loosen the screw allows the wire to be inserted at which point you can re-tighten the screw. It's a pretty standard procedure as far as banana plugs go.

Instead of a traditional leaf spring connector, there is a channel in the connector that allows it to collapse when inserted. In the couple of terminals I plugged the banana plugs into, this seemed to allow a good, tight connection.

If one is accustomed to smaller banana plugs, these ones are relatively large as far as height is concerned. I had to pull my receiver an additional inch forward to be able to use these new plugs due to my TV stand being poorly designed with a large flat metal "pole" behind the center of the shelves.

I do have a small note, however. The website claims the plugs will accept 8-gauge wire. On the packaging only the ability to accept 12-gauge is claimed. If you look at the openings on the plug center and bottom (figure 3), you'll see the bottom can easily accept 8-gauge wire and any reasonable covering but the center would make it a little more difficult. The 12-gauge wire I used fit just fine, but 8-gauge might be a stretch. At least the packaging is correct.

Attachments

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Very sexy plugs. The Allan key included is a nice touch. Thanks for the review.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Future Shop (Best Buy Canada)

I've noticed Future Shop and Dell Canada is beginning to carry this line of cable. IMO they are much nicer looking then a certain other name brand at a much lower price point. It was the rack mounted surge suppressor/power filters that caught my eye, around the $200 CDN mark and carry a UL rating (few of them do). Anyone have experience with these?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis