On-Wall vs. Floor Standing Speakers

M

MattyLight21

Audiophyte
My current front channel speakers are some old, no-name, clunky, floor standing speakers that are pretty crappy, but get the job done for now. Anyway, I'm in the process of upgrading my system and I'm tackling the front channels first. Well, I already upgraded my receiver to the Yamaha RX-V667, but now I need some good speakers to pair with that good receiver.

I am considering the EMP Tek 5Ti's ($500) for my floor standing option and the Axiom Audio M22's ($488) for my on-wall option. The reason I am considering on-wall speakers is that I have a 50" TV mounted on the wall and I figure it'll look sweet with the speakers up there as well. I'm thinking of going with the Emotiva Ultra 12 for my sub.

I'd say I used the system for music about 60% of the time and for movies 40% of the time. Whether it's music or movies though, I tend to really crank up the volume.

My biggest concern is that the on-wall speakers won't be able to handle the higher volumes as compared to the floor standing speakers. Any thoughts, comments or advice you can offer is much appreciated.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My biggest concern is that the on-wall speakers won't be able to handle the higher volumes as compared to the floor standing speakers.
I agree with your assessment.

The pretty little wall speakers won't be able to produce as much volume before distorting, and they are not exactly known for the best sound quality.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'll be looking to switch from floor speakers to on wall....purely for aesthetic reasons. I can understand some peoples apprehension based on their limitations because of size or constrants but this should only effect the low end...the mids & highs should be very similar in SQ in both type of instances? I'll likely need to employ a higher xover going this route and by having a capable sub it will handle everything below that point so it's a mute point anyways....besides this new set up will be strictly for home theater use....:D.

Last edited:
F

forkbeard

Audioholic Intern
The specs say...

...that the Axiom on-wall 22's will get as loud as you want. They give up a little bass compared to the standmount 22's, but a Xover point of 80 or 90 (standard stuff) will probably work.

I couldn't find a freq response curve, so how flat are they? Probably pretty flat. Call up and ask.

I use the standmount 22's in a smallish space and love them. If I was doing it over, now that I have a 50" plasma, I'd get the wallmounts. I guess I trust Axiom.

M

MattyLight21

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I've got some more "soul searching" to do before I make a final decision.

Of course if I had more money, this wouldn't be such a dilemma because I'd go with the Definitive Technology Mythos Ten's and be done with it :D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
IMO on wall speakers will always be a compromise. Speaker manufacturers design their cabinets to maximize the sound quality of the components that they put into them. An open wall is not the best environment for a speaker. On wall speakers are for people that absolutely cannot have speakers on the floor due to WAF or aesthetic reasons.

If looks or floor space are more important to you than sound quality, then by all means look at on-walls.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You can get plenty excellent performance with onwall or inwalls, AFAIK, it's just that to get there, you usually* have to spend a lot more. You can look into both Triad and James loudspeakers as reputed brands of these kinds of speakers.

Otherwise, if you're willing to go nuts (which I highly doubt), there are other solutions, if at the sacrifice of looks. OTOH, you may well spend less. For example, I remember what mjg100 told me what he does, and he knows his stuff.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=659219&postcount=18

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I sometimes use my rear surrounds (which are on walls) with 1 sub for 2 channel listening and they sound fantastic. They should $1800.-- for 2 speakers and $ 2450.-- for sub. Now that's $ 4250.-- and for that you can buy some major towers. I do enjoy that combination in SQ better than my 5k towers.

J

jcmccorm

Audioholic Intern
I went with Axioms. I've never heard them before but thought I'd give them a try.

I started out comparing their on-wall in-wall offerings for the M22's and ended up just getting the standard M22's with their "full metal bracket" to mount them to the wall. Now I get the best of both worlds. :)

Cary

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I went with Axioms. I've never heard them before but thought I'd give them a try.

I started out comparing their on-wall in-wall offerings for the M22's and ended up just getting the standard M22's with their "full metal bracket" to mount them to the wall. Now I get the best of both worlds. :)

Cary
Yeah...I'm leaning towards the on wall m22's and m2 myself. Axiom offers you so many finish options its hard to look elsewhere because most others are so limited in that capacity...jmo. :)

M

MattyLight21

Audiophyte
IMO on wall speakers will always be a compromise. Speaker manufacturers design their cabinets to maximize the sound quality of the components that they put into them. An open wall is not the best environment for a speaker. On wall speakers are for people that absolutely cannot have speakers on the floor due to WAF or aesthetic reasons.

If looks or floor space are more important to you than sound quality, then by all means look at on-walls.
I think this pretty much summed up my concerns. Plus, I don't have the kind of money to spend on some on-wall speakers that are going to be able to play as loud as I want. So, I think I'm going to go with the floor standing speakers and just "cope" with the fact that I don't have pretty on-walls.

Now, that brings up a whole new conversation because there are several floor standing options. I already mentioned the EMP Tek's, but now I'm thinking a little more money might be in store. The Paradigm Monitor 7's, Aperion Audio Intimus 5T's and the Klipsch RF-52 II's are all on the top of my list. Thoughts?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think this pretty much summed up my concerns. Plus, I don't have the kind of money to spend on some on-wall speakers that are going to be able to play as loud as I want. So, I think I'm going to go with the floor standing speakers and just "cope" with the fact that I don't have pretty on-walls.

Now, that brings up a whole new conversation because there are several floor standing options. I already mentioned the EMP Tek's, but now I'm thinking a little more money might be in store. The Paradigm Monitor 7's, Aperion Audio Intimus 5T's and the Klipsch RF-52 II's are all on the top of my list. Thoughts?
All of them will sound different - you need to audition some speakers
and find out the type of sound you like.

The Yamaha 667 is a good receiver.

Last edited:
D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
This may bring on the flames but I really feel that unless you are doing a DIY install, you WILL be making a HUGE compromise by not using an in room cabinet.

You can just flat out do more with something mobile. It's pretty amazing how much 1-2 inches in your room or 5 degrees of toe can make.

Tons of people love in wall speakers, they just aren't for me and I can only audition them in my house if I'm willing to cut holes in my wall. Since I have plaster and brick in places, and electricity and plumbing... well I have quite a bit of work to make it work

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
This may bring on the flames but I really feel that unless you are doing a DIY install, you WILL be making a HUGE compromise by not using an in room cabinet.
I disagree, again.

I bet these here are better than the majority of speakers owned by AHers.

As are probably these, full range, BE-copper tweeters.

Again, the main issue is the cost to get there, unless there is a different creative avenue whether by combining with bass modules or DIY or whatever.

But to say that using inwalls WILL be making a HUGE compromise, as a pure unadulterated fact outside of DIY, hm.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Josten, always making me work for it. I love it.

:D

I don't know what in wall speakers those are, but don't you agree that with the same budget cabinet speakers will give you more options?

Again if you're room correction on a pro level, or if you are making a DIY system or active system then sky's the limit. But for the same $$ I think the premade cabinet speaker offers a heck of a lot more versatility than in walls.

I think for 99.99% of the audio enthusiast it's less work, more options, and in the end if you have to move or sell them cabinets will make life a billion times easier.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Josten, always making me work for it. I love it.

:D

I don't know what in wall speakers those are, but don't you agree that with the same budget cabinet speakers will give you more options?
Yes, what do you think I've been saying?

What I'm trying to get across is that there is a difference between "difficulty" and "impossibility". In your last two posts here, I would infer that you went from saying "impossible" to "difficult". There is an extremely important difference.

By stating "impossible" as a fact, you run the risk of miseducating people. By stating "quite possible, but either extremely difficult or expensive", well that's a different matter entirely.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Sometimes my points don't get across so well on the net.

I still stand by the fact that in wall are in fact a large compromise. You will be comromising budget, flexability, resale, etc.

My point was illustrating that given any defined budget you cannot expect the same result from in walls and you can towers with the exception of a custom install.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis