Old or Newer Pioneer Stereo Receiver?

J

jakebot

Enthusiast
I have a choice of whether to pay $75 for an older Pioneer SX-550
or pay $75 for a newer Pioneer SX-205

the issue is that i like the look of older equipment, but with age come damage and this is more scratched up then the newer one.

But then again the newer one has more power....

it's quite a pickle and i cannot decide. does anyone have any experience with either of these receivers and/or any recomendations?

Thanks in advanced.

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
$75 is high for an SX-550 unless it's been serviced (incl. new caps) and relamped. It's just a 20wpc unit but they are very nice. But scratched up I wouldn't pay more than $20 for one. You can probably do much better than either unit for the same money if you look around. I love the vintage Pioneer gear and have several pieces, but if you're not electronically handy yet really want one it's best to buy one already restored. They definitely are wonderfully-built and far more handsome than most consumer electronics gear today, but there are caveats when dealing with vintage electronics.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a choice of whether to pay $75 for an older Pioneer SX-550
or pay $75 for a newer Pioneer SX-205

the issue is that i like the look of older equipment, but with age come damage and this is more scratched up then the newer one.

But then again the newer one has more power....

it's quite a pickle and i cannot decide. does anyone have any experience with either of these receivers and/or any recomendations?

Thanks in advanced.
How do you want to listen? If you want to play it loud and don't have exceptionally sensitive speakers, don't buy a low powered receiver, of any brand.

J

jakebot

Enthusiast
I knew it was a little high but i didn't realize that high. i wouldn't mind getting a "fixer upper" since i would like to learn. and a cheaper one would be good for that. i have a fairly basic knowledge of electronics that i have learned in college thus far. As far as listening my ears will mostly be about 1-2 feet away from the speakers they sit on a shelf above my desk. usually not too loud obviously because it's so close to my head but occasionally i do like to sit in my chair or on my bed and listen. I also probably won't have the money to buy very sensitive speakers. I'm looking at some Polk Monitor 40's but i don't have the money yet. What i really want to buy is an old Marantz receiver that has been fixed up. but I'm afraid i don't have the money.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have a Pioneer SX-205, it's a decent enough receiver. I'd say it's only worth paying $75 for if it's complete with remote and is very good condition. It may be rated at 100 watts per channel, but is more than likely closer to 50 watts per channel.

I can't recommend the SX-550 unless it's prestine and as B3Nut said, it ought to be serviced at that price.

What avenues have you found these two receivers? In my opinion you should wait, which allows you to save up some extra money as well as find a better deal.

J

jakebot

Enthusiast
thanks guys but i do think i'm going to wait for a better deal to come around. i keep thinkin i will just stumble across one sometime. i don't really need it as of right now anyway. thanks for the help guys. i appreciate it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis