OK i get it, everybody hates bose

B

bosebro

Audiophyte
At least, that's what the consensus seems to be. I've been a bose fan for a long time, and I'm willing to do a real blind sound-test. But how/where can I do this if their displays in stores are as unfairly presented as you say they are?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It isn't the performance specifically that is the issue, it is the price they charge for it. I doubt many would complain if they were priced far lower than they are.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There are some of the more frequently recommended links for reading on bose:
Pay no attention to that gear behind the curtain! (Bose Demo story.)
I find that first story far-fetched. You don't need any special equipment to make Bose speakers sound great. The problem is they have a very limited range of frequencies.

I could make some nice little cubes out of a midrange driver that would sound a lot like Bose, but there would be no highs and no lows. I've heard the cubes are stuffed and they are small enough to not have much resonance.

Zaph|Audio would be a nice substitute for Bose.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I always thought it would be nice to see something from a reputable manufacturer which used a receiver that was closer to 1/3 the size of their current receivers, but were still a 'traditional' receiver which could use different speakers.

Then pack it with a few options for inexpensive speakers to take on Bose more directly.

A combo BD player with a few HDMI inputs with a 5.1/7.1 option would really be great to see. Especially with some quality speaker options at a reasonable price.

I don't hate Bose, but I think you can get a lot more for the same money, or comparible for a lot less money.

300exoh

Audioholic Intern
There was a time when bose made decent products (early 80's) but this new plastic filled stuff they are making is purely about profit...period. I have listened to the acoustimass setups and while they don't sound awful they are still very over-priced. I can hear the lack of lower-mid sounds that the cubes can't produce which makes the vocals sound very hollow. I currently own a pair of 601 series II's and their newer products don't even compare to the sound I get from the 601's. IMO the only way to do a blind test is to buy a set of bose and compare them in your own living room to other brands...I guarantee you'll find better sound for your dollar. Bose made a name for themselves in the late 70's/early 80's with some innovative products (ie 901, 601, 501 and 301's) and have ridden their own coat tails ever since. Ever since they came out with the .2 series speakers everything they make has been downhill. If you really must own bose look into some vintage ones from the early 80's otherwise your money would be best spent elsewhere.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am still looking for that live concert sound, that they claim.

It is interesting looking inside their cabinets - it really comes
down to being over priced.

W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
There was a time when bose made decent products (early 80's) but this new plastic filled stuff they are making is purely about profit...period. I have listened to the acoustimass setups and while they don't sound awful they are still very over-priced. I can hear the lack of lower-mid sounds that the cubes can't produce which makes the vocals sound very hollow. I currently own a pair of 601 series II's and their newer products don't even compare to the sound I get from the 601's. IMO the only way to do a blind test is to buy a set of bose and compare them in your own living room to other brands...I guarantee you'll find better sound for your dollar. Bose made a name for themselves in the late 70's/early 80's with some innovative products (ie 901, 601, 501 and 301's) and have ridden their own coat tails ever since. Ever since they came out with the .2 series speakers everything they make has been downhill. If you really must own bose look into some vintage ones from the early 80's otherwise your money would be best spent elsewhere.
300exoh, I agree with you, there was a time. I purchased two pairs of 901 series II back in 1975. A divorce cost me one pair, but I still have the other and they still sound decent. No, there's no plastic in the series II. Back then, I picked Bose over the ESS electrostats because of all the speakers I auditioned, none could match the 901 ability to create a stage presence with such width and depth. Just close your eyes, it was simply amazing. Oh yeah, the clarity of ESS was phenominal, but their placement was too critical and the imaging too narrow. The dynamics of the 901s and stage imaging won me over. Unfortunately for the 901s series I and II to perform at their best, you needed 200 - 250 amps. Properly powered, in Quad, SQ, QS or CD4 they were magical. I added a sub and terrorized my neighbors.

T

toddious

Audioholic Intern
There are many better options at the same pricepoint. That isn't to say BOSE doesn't have a customer base, because things like design, simplicity, etc make a big difference to some people.

Bose has also created some technologies (sound cancelling headphones, 3-2-1 system, acoustimass) that are breakthrough.

For "Audioholics" , though, Bose is generally not the answer.

H

herragge

Audiophyte
There are many better options at the same pricepoint. That isn't to say BOSE doesn't have a customer base, because things like design, simplicity, etc make a big difference to some people.

Bose has also created some technologies (sound cancelling headphones, 3-2-1 system, acoustimass) that are breakthrough.

I do love their sound cancelling headphones. They are pretty incredible. I am unfamiliar with equivalent "audiophile" headphones that may be equivalent in quality.

However I have to agree with most of the posts here, the true audiophile understands that VALUE is not what you are getting with Bose.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
The problem for me isn't the rather poor sound quality of Bose - there are plenty of audio products that perform just as poorly. And it isn't even the high price tag that is utterly ridiculous for the quality of components you are buying - business is all about making a profit and if people are stupid enough to overpay, that's their problem, not yours!

No, my problem with Bose is that a fairly high percentage of the public seems to be largely under the impression that Bose's little "cube" speaker packages deliver good sound. That's the real problem. Make what ever you want. Charge what ever you want. And ultimately, if you can fool a lot of people into thinking your crappy, overpriced products are good through massive amounts of marketing - well, I suppose, good on ya. Bose is certainly a business success story, so I can't even be all that mad at them.

It's very much the same with Monster Cable. They are a horrible, evil company that makes crappy, overpriced products. But they plaster their brand all over the place, and now stupid people walk around with Beats headphones on.

So it's the public that bothers me. They complain and complain about how expensive everything is, but then they go and drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on really poor sounding products because the marketing has managed to make them "cool" and a "status symbol", which obviously matters FAR more than actual performance to a lot of dummies out there.

I do see the silver lining though: when I see a person out in public wearing Monster Beats headphones, or I visit a person's home or business and see Bose "cube" speakers hanging on the wall, I instantly know that they are not a person I want to associate with and I can easily spot and avoid them! Saves a lot of time and headaches :)

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I do love their sound cancelling headphones. They are pretty incredible. I am unfamiliar with equivalent "audiophile" headphones that may be equivalent in quality.

However I have to agree with most of the posts here, the true audiophile understands that VALUE is not what you are getting with Bose.
You can pick up the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B noise cancelling headphones for around a 1/3 of the price of the equivalent Bose: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC7B-Noise-Cancelling-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B002HWJT1A/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325427812&sr=1-3

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...when I see a person out in public wearing Monster Beats headphones, or I visit a person's home or business and see Bose "cube" speakers hanging on the wall, I instantly know that they are not a person I want to associate with...
Talk about missed business opportunities. :eek: :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I don't hate the people who buy Bose or Monster. Sales numbers suggest that those companies understand the market for audio far too well.

I think the real reason audio fans, like ourselves, get so angry with Bose and its success, is that it reminds us that most people really do want a giant TV and tiny or invisible speakers. Just read the BB ads in any Sunday paper. If you knew nothing at all about audio or HT, you'd come away with the idea that TV screens must be as big as possible, but speakers and associated electronic audio gear are an after thought that hardly matter.

All this only reinforces the WAF problem. They will accept the big-a$$ TV, but put their foot down when it comes to speaker cabinets. Bose knows this and takes it to the bank.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

I'm not so sure their technology was that groundbreaking noise cancelling already existed and the 3-2-1 stuff is hype.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Originally Posted by FirstReflection View Post
...when I see a person out in public wearing Monster Beats headphones, or I visit a person's home or business and see Bose "cube" speakers hanging on the wall, I instantly know that they are not a person I want to associate with...
Interesting one can make a general opinion about someone without even knowing the person all based on if the person is using a Bose product. :eek: I sure hope your never ill and as your are lying down in pre-op your surgeon greats you and says, "hey I sure like my Bose speakers and wave radio" that could be a real bummer, in your book, if he knew your stance on Bose users.:D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Someone brought up the Veblen Effect (that up to a point, more cost increases demand) in a different thread. It definitely applies here. The wiki page for Veblen Effect lists the Snob Effect and Bandwagon Effect (apparently they're not colloquialisms) that also seem to have considerable intensity here.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Interesting one can make a general opinion about someone without even knowing the person all based on if the person is using a Bose product. :eek: I sure hope your never ill and as your are lying down in pre-op your surgeon greats you and says, "hey I sure like my Bose speakers and wave radio" that could be a real bummer, in your book, if he knew your stance on Bose users.:D
Yeah, that is a judgemental comment. Many people on this message board know enough about audio to stay away from Bose and Monster, but what about dumb non-audio hype that we all fall for but don't even know it? I don't know much about automobiles, or shoes, or jewelry, or what have you, I could very well be getting the equivalent of Bose with that stuff and not know it. I have heard plenty of people at work and elsewhere comment on how good Bose is supposed to be, and while I know better, I don't know about the stuff their expertise lies in, tools, fishing gear, wines, motorcycles, watches, guitars, etc. Ownership of dumb audio gear doesn't mean someone isn't worth knowing altogether.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Yeah, that is a judgemental comment. Many people on this message board know enough about audio to stay away from Bose and Monster, but what about dumb non-audio hype that we all fall for but don't even know it? I don't know much about automobiles, or shoes, or jewelry, or what have you, I could very well be getting the equivalent of Bose with that stuff and not know it. I have heard plenty of people at work and elsewhere comment on how good Bose is supposed to be, and while I know better, I don't know about the stuff their expertise lies in, tools, fishing gear, wines, motorcycles, watches, guitars, etc. Ownership of dumb audio gear doesn't mean someone isn't worth knowing altogether.
Something tells me some portion of my hyperbolic sarcasm was lost along the way :p

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Heck I have a close friend who thinks everything non German is crap, lucky for him he lives in France :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis