D

daxarms

Enthusiast
So I just nearly spent 1300 on a bose am 16. I hadn't read any reviews but had heard them thought they sounded pretty good and they were Bose right? Anyway I'm gathering that bose really isn't a great set of speakers for the price. And if I can get some thing that sounds as good or better for less I would like to. Any suggestions from people? I have a Yamaha HTR 5560 receiver, but am open to suggestions that include 5.1 or 6.1 speaker set ups and 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and 7.2 set ups in the Home theater in a box category. I haven't been real impressed with what I've heard from sony, but I have liked the sound of monster somewhat (they have a set up at the local best buy) and I have heard good things about denon and yamaha. And I have also heard that Onkyo is a little muddy in the midrange. I would like something with optical inputs and hdmi audio decoding if going the HTB category. I play a fair amount of video games and watch mostly action/sci-fi movies. I hope this gives enough information to spark some suggestions from people. The budget limit is 1300. Thanks in advance.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So I just nearly spent 1300 on a bose am 16. I hadn't read any reviews but had heard them thought they sounded pretty good and they were Bose right? Anyway I'm gathering that bose really isn't a great set of speakers for the price. And if I can get some thing that sounds as good or better for less I would like to. Any suggestions from people? I have a Yamaha HTR 5560 receiver, but am open to suggestions that include 5.1 or 6.1 speaker set ups and 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and 7.2 set ups in the Home theater in a box category. I haven't been real impressed with what I've heard from sony, but I have liked the sound of monster somewhat (they have a set up at the local best buy) and I have heard good things about denon and yamaha. And I have also heard that Onkyo is a little muddy in the midrange. I would like something with optical inputs and hdmi audio decoding if going the HTB category. I play a fair amount of video games and watch mostly action/sci-fi movies. I hope this gives enough information to spark some suggestions from people. The budget limit is 1300. Thanks in advance.

Well first Bose does have a guarantee I think so see if you can't claim that. Just tell them you are dissapointed in the speakers.

If that doesn't work. Ebay'em Bose marketing will get you some cash. That alone should pad your budget more.

At that budget if you want a quick hit check out the EMP's on audioholics store. Great bang for the buck. If you are looking for small speakers like Bose then go to accessories4less and look at the KEF series. They have an iQ series which is very nice and the eggs have great sound for the size and looks. Plus they have that cute factor. I would recommend those 2.

You can also consider putting together a Beta series off ebay and then spending the rest on a projector/ps3 combo. :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well first Bose does have a guarantee I think so see if you can't claim that. Just tell them you are dissapointed in the speakers.

If that doesn't work. Ebay'em Bose marketing will get you some cash. That alone should pad your budget more.

At that budget if you want a quick hit check out the EMP's on audioholics store. Great bang for the buck. If you are looking for small speakers like Bose then go to accessories4less and look at the KEF series. They have an iQ series which is very nice and the eggs have great sound for the size and looks. Plus they have that cute factor. I would recommend those 2.

You can also consider putting together a Beta series off ebay and then spending the rest on a projector/ps3 combo. :)
Just think these speakers are way cheaper than Bose and way better? It's amazing.

cym_city

cym_city

Junior Audioholic
So I just nearly spent 1300 on a bose am 16. I hadn't read any reviews but had heard them thought they sounded pretty good.....

And I have also heard that Onkyo is a little muddy in the midrange.
This isn't a slam on you by any means, but if you thought the bose sounded good, then you won't be able to tell if the Onkyo is muddy in the midrange. I have the 606, along with others, and have never had any issue at all with that. With that said, you are going to get a lot of suggestions. Mainly for SVS, Energy, and hopefully one or two for EMP. Be prepared to do some research and have fun while doing it. Anything that you get from the suggestions will be better than the bose.

D

daxarms

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice, I'll see if theres anywhere around me that I can listen to these. Right now I'm running Fisher STV-724 s in the front a Pioneer Csc 150-Q in the center channel, Pioneer Csm -751 s in as my rear surrounds and a cs-x 300 q as my rear center. I'm running my bass through the mains.

J

jamie2112

Banned
You can't listen to the svs as they are an ID...They SVS will blow away the bozo sound. The audioholics store has EMP sets at a very good price as well...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Take the silver lining. You can't possibly do worse. So whatever you get will be amazing to you.

D

daxarms

Enthusiast
Thanks again all, and at the risk of thread drift, any advice on developing a more discerning ear?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I would advise you not too. I find having a discerning ear makes it difficult to function in certain circumstances. It also makes spotting poor singers and musicians much easier.

But If you want to try learning to focus your ears on different aspects of the sound. Hear notes as they scale. match them in your head. Do they lose volume as they go up or down.

As far as speakers go? Does it sound natural. Like there isn't a speaker there. Close your eyes and ask yourself does it sound like the real person is there.

We all have preferences. My biggest beef with Bose from a sound standpoint is that they just don't have a wide frequency range. I wouldn't mind this if they charged you 300 for your system but they act like it's better that way and charge you 1000s.

Monster is my other company I have a beef with, but I think if I got further I would have to move to the steam vent.

D

daxarms

Enthusiast
Oh and in all seriousness, when you refer to the beta series. I assume you're talking about the infinities? Once again I've heard good things about them, but really don't know anything about them.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
They really are the best bang for buck you will find on the internet right now.

Infinity decided to make a really awesome speaker system for home theater, but the problem is they made the speakers too big and heavy for most people to want them. They failed to factor in size/weight constraints. Since they couldn't sell based on those two factors they have been forced to slash prices. As a result a 200 dollar speaker now goes for around 50 on ebay.

I love these speakers because they have great woofers, metal grills, full range sound, and excellent build quality for the price. I am recommending what I personally use and love. Could you get better speakers? Yes. At that price point? No.

Think about this. You could buy a full set of beta 20s and a center for around 350 including shipping. I can't think of any 350 dollar system that rivals that. For 490 you could make it 7 channels.

Now I wouldn't use them for rears or sides(too big and bulky, but they are perfect for a front sound stage.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis