Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize?!?!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_nobel_peace

I'm surprised Buckeye Nut or one of the other Obama-haters hasn't commented on this yet. Personally I think it's a little early to be giving the man awards, but this seems to prove that he's definitley making strides towards improving the U.S.'s standing in the rest of the world.

Come on, ya know it's killin' ya! :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Aren't you the one who complained about political threads? :confused:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Aren't you the one who complained about political threads? :confused:
I guess he's not opposed to them when their in his favor. :p;);):D

I agree it's way to early to be giving him any awards. I hope he lives up to his billing, but what has he done?

itschris

itschris

I think the verbiage was quite clear from the committee... "... awarded for ... his effort.."

He clearly did not win this award for anything he has actually done, only full on media blitz of what he wants to do. I mean really, who doesn't want world peace. Wishing for it and actually accomplishing somehing in regards to it are two very different things.

What is really upsetting is that none of the "mainstream" media has said much about the runner up. Read his story and then ask yourself if Obama should even be on the same voting card.

This is less about Obama then the politicising and cheapening of a most prestigious award. But then again, wasn't Yassar Arafat a winner?

EDIT - that last comment is not comparing him or suggesting anything other than how dubious the awards results can actually be.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I don't believe he deserved it, but it's nice it went to an American.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I hope he lives up to his billing, but what has he done?
Not been Bush?

I'm on the fence. I realize that this was a deliberate choice by the Nobel committee. They wanted to use the prizes in a way that would have more impact on the world: and so are trying to draw attention to people who are making changes rather than those who already have. I can see where they are coming from, but don't know if I agree with them or not.

"[The Committee] rejected the notion that Obama had been recognized prematurely for his efforts and said the committee wanted to promote the president just as it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 in his efforts to open up the Soviet Union.

'His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population,' it said."

In fairness, although little has been achieved thusfar in terms of true results, Obama has a far-reaching diplomatic policy that's engaged around the world.

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
Maybe someone can answer this... Why does the prize have to go to a person? Why can't the World Food Programme win the Nobel Peace Prize?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
It's been awarded to organizations before.

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
Ah yes, I see that now. A long time ago, mostly red cross related things, now UN related things. In keeping with that theme, WFP for NPP 2k10!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not been Bush?

I'm on the fence. I realize that this was a deliberate choice by the Nobel committee. They wanted to use the prizes in a way that would have more impact on the world: and so are trying to draw attention to people who are making changes rather than those who already have. I can see where they are coming from, but don't know if I agree with them or not.

"[The Committee] rejected the notion that Obama had been recognized prematurely for his efforts and said the committee wanted to promote the president just as it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 in his efforts to open up the Soviet Union.

'His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population,' it said."

In fairness, although little has been achieved thusfar in terms of true results, Obama has a far-reaching diplomatic policy that's engaged around the world.
In fairness Bush was fairly succesful except in Iraq which spilled over into everything else. He made a big mistake in how he handled Iraq, but what else did he do that was so bad? Obama has a few years to mess up like that too

Obama followed the same economic policies as Bush in trying to bring the economy back too. Don't get me wrong they are very different people with very different goals. Still not being someone else is not a goal or accomplishment. Bringing Iran to no longer pursue nuclear weapons would be an achievement.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I think the verbiage was quite clear from the committee... "... awarded for ... his effort.."

He clearly did not win this award for anything he has actually done, only full on media blitz of what he wants to do. I mean really, who doesn't want world peace. Wishing for it and actually accomplishing somehing in regards to it are two very different things.

What is really upsetting is that none of the "mainstream" media has said much about the runner up. Read his story and then ask yourself if Obama should even be on the same voting card.

This is less about Obama then the politicising and cheapening of a most prestigious award. But then again, wasn't Yassar Arafat a winner?

EDIT - that last comment is not comparing him or suggesting anything other than how dubious the awards results can actually be.
I agree and that just makes it sad that they would turn this award into something akin to another hollywood love fest..........

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
In fairness Bush was fairly succesful except in Iraq which spilled over into everything else. He made a big mistake in how he handled Iraq, but what else did he do that was so bad? Obama has a few years to mess up like that too

Obama followed the same economic policies as Bush in trying to bring the economy back too. Don't get me wrong they are very different people with very different goals. Still not being someone else is not a goal or accomplishment. Bringing Iran to no longer pursue nuclear weapons would be an achievement.
All I can say to this is "NO". Although I do agree that not being someone else is not an accomplishment. I also tend to agree, with other posters, that Obama should not have won the award. I think the award should have gone to the American people, for finally removing their collective heads from their collective butts long enough to elect someone who is not utterly and completely clueless and whose actions are not a threat to world peace. The monetary prize could go to the Red Cross or something. That is the message that needs to be sent.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe now that he has won the award, he will want to step up and do something extra to have earned it. Hopefully, this is something that will motivate him to do great things.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
utterly and completely clueless.
So I guess you believe Bush wasn't evil he was just ignorant?

I don't think he was clueless though. He was inexperienced in foreign affairs, but many Americans are clueless when it comes to the world. On the domestic front I think he was much stronger. The economy is a cyclical thing largely so blaming any one person for it is silly in my view. I don't think a person's popularity or lack of popularity is a true evaluation of their contributions to the world. The war was mismanaged, but Bush did liberate Iraq from Saddam. So he wasn't a total loss.

Sweeping generalizations can lead to illogical evaluation of situations. Iraq had it's good points too.

Obama is in many ways Bush's opposite I see him as strong in foreign affairs and weaker on the domestic front. Healthcare reform his main domestic aim has been a failure so far, but perhaps in time it will happen. Still the situation is dire in my view and something must be done.

I'm glad to see us get back on the right foot with other nations. I pray the relationships improve a lot. Mideast peace seems like a pipe dream though. I've met both sides and neither seems willing to budge even at the cost of death.

Matt34

Matt34

Many observers were shocked by the unexpected choice so early in the Obama presidency, which began less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline and has yet to yield concrete achievements in peacemaking.

It's a farce IMO, they based their decision on his first two weeks of presidency.

...but hey, if Al Gore can win one for lining his pockets by turning natural climate fluctuation into mass global warming hysteria, no one else will really surprises me.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_nobel_peace

I'm surprised Buckeye Nut or one of the other Obama-haters hasn't commented on this yet. Personally I think it's a little early to be giving the man awards, but this seems to prove that he's definitley making strides towards improving the U.S.'s standing in the rest of the world.

Come on, ya know it's killin' ya! :D
Of all the wonderful and deserving winners of this prestigious award, I believe Obama nearly tops the list of "Most Worthy" recipient to have ever been awarded this great prize in the history of the award.....as in is the 2nd most worthy.

Sincerely,
Yasser Arafat

B

Buckeye_Nut

It should go without saying, this award has been degraded to a 'cheap b!tch' award status many years ago.

Yes....Yassir....I mean YEs...that Arafat Terrorist leader did win this award too.

B

Buckeye_Nut

It's a farce IMO, they based their decision on his first two weeks of presidency.

...but hey, if Al Gore can win one for lining his pockets by turning natural climate fluctuation into mass global warming hysteria, no one else will really surprises me.
LOL...pretty soon the Al Gore types will be pushing for the very same "Big Government" taxing solutions to stop the current cooling trend.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis