Nvidia Launches New "Affordable" Graphics Card

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Nvidia Launches New "Affordable" Graphics Card
Jul 12, 2010
By Luke Plunkett

And by "affordable", they don't mean "cheap piece of crap". They mean (or at least claim) "bang for your buck" for the serious gamer on a budget.

Nvidia today took the wraps off the GeForce GTX 460, designed to be the the company's first real mass-market card built to support DirectX 11. Priced at $199, Nvidia reckon that the GTX 460 is in some areas (like tesselation, a new DX11 feature) up to four times faster than equivalent ATI cards.
Early benchmarks suggest it comes close in performance to a range of more expensive cards, though whether it comes close enough to make it a more worthwhile purchase for the thrifty consumer than, say, the cheaper ATI Radeon HD 5770 (at $150) is up in the air.

Still, it's always nice when previously unaffordable (for the masses) tech becomes...slightly less unaffordable, so if you're in the market for something to run DirectX 11 and couldn't quite justify spending $300+ on a card, this might be something to look into.
Not sure what DirectX11 even is, let alone what it brings to the table for PC gamers? You might want to consult this handy guide!

Source: Kotaku

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
... and there's the rub for PC Gamers. A PART of a gaming rig for the cost of a console. A "budget" part at that.

I'd LOVE to build a killer rig and hook it up to my gear, but there's no way the wife would let me start down ANOTHER path of piecemeal upgrading.

Besides, all my friends are on Xbox Live!

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
My current graphics card (Nvidia 8800GT) got fried recently, it works when I am doing basic stuff, but if I start doing more graphics intensive stuff the drives keep crashing, and it I try to play a game it pretty much just tanks and I need to restart my computer. So I am looking into these cards, but at the moment I am still thinking that ATI is the winner (even though I prefer Nvidia) in this price range atm. Although I am very happy that they are adding an HDMI to their graphics cards finally, something ATI has been doing for a while. Wonder if it carries audio like ATI's (I would very much like to use Dolby Live which isn't possible right now with my optical out).

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
These can be overclocked up to 30% over reference settings.

Quite astonishing really.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis