Nostalgic Speaker Project Help

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
I am refurbishing and re-purposing a Hallicrafters R-46B ham radio speaker I
inherited from my father into a garage speaker. The unit is an open back metal
enclosure with a 10" paper speaker (deteriorated).

My question is what type of 10" speaker to install? My online research yielded these types: woofer,
mid-range/bass, or guitar speakers. Most of these have freq ranges of ~60 to 5k Hz. I rejected any subwoofer speakers for obvious reasons.

Not attempting any audiophile here, just a decent "working in the garage" reproduction of FM
radio music or Gamecock football. Cost target $80 or less.

Thanks in advance.
XEagleDriver

Also posted with pics at: Help with Nostalgic Speaker Project - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you want a semi-authentic restoration, you might want to get the old speaker reconed. Here is one place that does that sort of work, though there are others:

millersound

I have used Millersound in the past, and have been pleased with the results. However, I am not affiliated with them in any way, and therefore offer no personal guarantee. But that is who I would choose.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Further research uncovered two other possibilities:
1) Use a dual channel/voice coil 8" inceiling speaker
2) Use a "full range" speaker like this one from Parts Express

Anyone with experience with either idea, please pipe up :D

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Pyrrho,

Thanks for he pointer to use MillerSound.
Bill and his team did a great job and created a custom near full-range ~8ohm speaker to complete the project in the original basket preserving the look this period piece.

XEagleDriver

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Pyrrho,

Bill and his team did a great job and created a custom near full-range ~8ohm speaker to complete the project in the original basket preserving the look this period piece.

XEagleDriver
I am glad that you are happy with the results. Every time I have sent a speaker to MillerSound, I have had good results. Most of the time, I have only had speakers refoamed (i.e., the compliance replaced), but I had one woofer reconed (new cone, voice coil, spider & compliance), and it looks and sounds like the one I did not have rebuilt. It brought back to life a speaker my father owned, as good as new, as far as I can tell.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Pyrrho,

XEagleDriver
WE.....NEED.....PICTURES! :cool:

One way to repay for good advice is to post some pics of the final outcome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis