non functioning convenience outlets

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
While listening to a bass heavy lp the convenience outlets in my Yamaha rxv-3300 stopped functioning. Equipment plugged into those outlets were a turntable and a carver power cube. The maximum power that can be connected to the ac outlets is 100W. All other functions of the receiver seem to be operating properly. I have used a continuity tester at the two outlets and it show no power. Can any member tell what happened and if the receiver may be damaged in any other way.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
The power cube should have been plugged into a separate outlet. The heaviest usage a convenience plug should be used for is a CD player or phonograph. It may have tripped some kind of internal breaker or blown a fuse somewhere. Those outlets may now be dead. Your choice would be to have it repaired or just keep using it without using those plugs.

Mort

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Mort is pretty much on the money.

No offense, but if you knew they only had a max capacity of 100 watts, why did you think the power cube would do well there?

Last edited:
F

footman

Junior Audioholic
hubris

Hubris, excitement, ignorance. The thought that I put such a dent in a thousand dollar piece of equipment makes me nauseous. I can only say that I am thankful that I did not fry the whole thing. I had just returned from an auction where I picked up quite a few lp's and was quite elated. Caution to the wind I just pumped it. Suddenly there was a big bass roll and I was to slow to control it. Time stood still as the lp grumbled to an end. Convincing my wife its time to upgrade may prove to be a problem. I can only hope that the damage is limited. By the way the piece I was listening to was Darius Milhaud's LA CREATION DU MONDE, BSO/ Charles Munch. Once things were up and running again it proved to be an outstanding performance.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
The only damage was probably to a fuse. Manufacturers give people fair warning. I wouldn't plug anything into them that drew over about 20 watts. It's doubtful you hurt anything else but you may want to contact the manufacturer and describe what happened. It may just be a fuse.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis