Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
I'm seeking suggestions on how to reduce the vibration noise I get from my TVs enclosure. It is rather irritating to hear that plastic rubbing when bass notes hit. My first thought is to wedge some felt between the seams but I'm not sure that would cure it all. Would Mass Loaded Vinyl under the TV's casters help at all?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Slats said:
I'm seeking suggestions on how to reduce the vibration noise I get from my TVs enclosure. It is rather irritating to hear that plastic rubbing when bass notes hit. My first thought is to wedge some felt between the seams but I'm not sure that would cure it all. Would Mass Loaded Vinyl under the TV's casters help at all?

I would try your first idea but not felt as it may be too thick. Anything thin that can be fit in the seams will do. Maybe like a sliver of milk carton.
You should experiment where it is vibrating by applying pressure with a finger, insert a sliver of that paper and see results.
Test discs with pure tones, not pink noise, should find the noises.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
The best way is to find the source of the noise and elminate the source.

If you know that it is the case, try small (VERY SMALL) wedges of cardboard, rubber washers etc. Make sure the mounting screws are firmly tighten when you refasten the case together.

I doubt the vinyl under the casters would serve much, except to relieve some $ from your wallet.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Most likely it is a sympathetic resonance, not a transmitted one (like mtrycrafts is saying with specific frequencies), so isolating the casters probably isn't going to help. You could try somthing like Dynamat (inside or outside) also, which will stiffen up the largest areas and help reduce vibration of the thinner areas.

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
I used a cut up milk carton and that seems to have fixed it. I also put some high density foam between the enclosure and the removable speakergrill. Thanks all for the input.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis