Noise coming from speakers while connected to A21

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
I have my Parasound Halo A21 connected to pre-out of my Yamaha RXV-2500. Parasound's power plug is connected in my Monster power center in amp section.
I'm noticing a noise coming from speakers when AMP is on. If I remove the Amp and connect speakers directly in RXV-2500 there is no noise.

I'm connecting my Paradigm Studio 60.

This noise makes me really mad as A21 is such a great amp and this problem.

So I have two questions here:
1. Does his noise is harmful for speakers (tweeters, woofers etc.) in anyway?
2. How to get rid of this noise?

Any advise from your experience will be really appreciate.

Looking forward for help from all pro's out there.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Could you describe what the noise sounds like? When did it start happening? Did you add a component/move and connect your components when the noise started?

Sometimes people get ground loop noise, but without additional info it's hard to speculate.

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
Could you describe what the noise sounds like? When did it start happening? Did you add a component/move and connect your components when the noise started?

Sometimes people get ground loop noise, but without additional info it's hard to speculate.
Thanks.
It is as simple as just switching/power on my Receiver and Amplifier without even switching on any of the gears.

Just to give the idea what is connected to the system.

I have HD cable box whose Video is connected directly to my TV and Audio is connected to Receiver through optical cable.

I have PS3 Video is connected directly to my TV and Audio is connected to Receiver through optical cable.

Hope this will help.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
To repeat one of sharkman's questions - what does the noise sound like? Is it a hiss? A hum?

If it's a hiss, it might be caused by the amp, the Yamaha, or a combination. You could plug the speakers into the amp, disconnect everything else from the amp (especially the connections from the Yamaha) and see if the hiss is still there. If so, it's the amp. If the hiss only happens when the Yamaha is connected to it and turned on, then it's caused by the audio outputs of the Yamaha. If there is a hiss when the Yamaha isn't connected to the amp, but the hiss gets louder when the Yamaha is connected, then I'd say it's caused in part by both components.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You'll have to be more specific if you expect answers.

What kind of noise is it, where is the volume control (relavitive to max) when you hear it, or is it constant at all volume levels, and how loud is the noise?

And, with that many posts you should really know better about duplicate posting.

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
To repeat one of sharkman's questions - what does the noise sound like? Is it a hiss? A hum?

If it's a hiss, it might be caused by the amp, the Yamaha, or a combination. You could plug the speakers into the amp, disconnect everything else from the amp (especially the connections from the Yamaha) and see if the hiss is still there. If so, it's the amp. If the hiss only happens when the Yamaha is connected to it and turned on, then it's caused by the audio outputs of the Yamaha. If there is a hiss when the Yamaha isn't connected to the amp, but the hiss gets louder when the Yamaha is connected, then I'd say it's caused in part by both components.
Good point.
So here is what I tried.
I removed inputs from amplifier and noise (humm) goes completely from speakers.
Then I attached input and noise came back.
On Amplifier I have gain control which on one side it reads THX, so when I have this turned completely on THX noise is louder. When I move dial in opposite direction noise started to disappear. So I have my gain control right now almost (1/4) position and no noise.

So what does it say? Also what is the purpose of this Gain dialer?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That sures sounds like a ground loop to me. Let me make sure that I have this straight:
  • When amp is connected to speakers, but not to the Yamaha, there is no hum
  • When speakers are connected to the Yamaha (amp is not in the circuit), there is no hum
  • When the speakers are connected to the amp, and the amp is connected to the Yamaha, then there is a hum
Correct? If so, then I recommend reading this Audioholics' article on ground loops.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
One more experiment, please:

Thanks.
It is as simple as just switching/power on my Receiver and Amplifier without even switching on any of the gears.

Just to give the idea what is connected to the system.

I have HD cable box whose Video is connected directly to my TV and Audio is connected to Receiver through optical cable.

I have PS3 Video is connected directly to my TV and Audio is connected to Receiver through optical cable.

Hope this will help.
Disconnect the TV cable feed to the cable box. Does noise go away?

If yes, you need a TV ground isolator, that simple; the Monster didn't do a thing.

http://www.cencom94.com/gpage.html8.html

or, something similar from other source.

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
That sures sounds like a ground loop to me. Let me make sure that I have this straight:
  • When amp is connected to speakers, but not to the Yamaha, there is no hum
  • When speakers are connected to the Yamaha (amp is not in the circuit), there is no hum
  • When the speakers are connected to the amp, and the amp is connected to the Yamaha, then there is a hum
Correct? If so, then I recommend reading this Audioholics' article on ground loops.
You got it 100% right, I will read the article.

M

mike_wassell

Audioholic Intern
I have a Parasound HAC -1000 amp and my hum was coming from my TV cable. Unplug or disconnect one component at a time from the system and when the hum disappeared you will know where it is coming from. After you find out the source you can begin the fix. It might be replacing a three pronged plug with a two prong adapter to eliminate the ground hum. With me it was the cable box. After I ran my cable through a power conditioner the Hum disappeared.

R

raidersrule76

Audiophyte
I have a Halo A23 on the back of my amp It has a grnd loop switch, I'm not sure if yours has that if so I would try switching that and see what happens. As far as the THX dial on the back you want that all the way to THX to get the full performance that you are looking for. Try these suggestions and let me know if it works.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis