No PS3 price cut plans - Sony

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6193650.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

Very interesting. I found this quote interesting in the article" "Our strategy is not to sell more quantity for PS3 but to concentrate on profitability." What does this mean? Have they given up the fight on the console war against Nintendo and Microsoft? Are they looking for Blu-Ray to help save the ship? Where are they looking into to increase profitibility? A price drop would definetly hurt in the short run but the software and blu-ray sales would give them some potential long term profitibality as well as staying competetive in the conosle market. Take a loss in the short run, increase hardware sales and look for long term profitablility and trickle down profits from blu-ray. What other options are they thinking of? As it stands right now there consoles sales are not good enough for either.
What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
If Sony plans to cut prices, they'll deny it minutes before announcing it. This is how it's always been.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I wouldn't believe anything until after the E3 conference. If microsoft cuts their price on Monday, Sony's not going to have much of a choice.

M

Mw`

Junior Audioholic
With the losses they've taken I couldn't see anything drastic in the near future. I think they're definitely riding the blu-ray wave and will probably put some good bundles together for the holidays. I just got the metal gear bundle myself.

C

Cthulhu

Audioholic Intern
I think they know that now they've won the High def war they can sit back and wait - the PS3 will ship units because its a blue ray player with all the mod cons and is also a gaming console.

is there much cheaper in the way of blue ray?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think they know that now they've won the High def war they can sit back and wait - the PS3 will ship units because its a blue ray player with all the mod cons and is also a gaming console.

is there much cheaper in the way of blue ray?
Who knows how long till the cheap chinese made blu ray players hit the market. You can already get Funai blu ray players for less than the price of a 40 gig PS3. But who knows what kind of quality they are.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Sony won the war and now has to try to make up for all the money the lost with the Blue Ray hardware. Now they don't have any competition they will just do what they like.

engtaz

M

Mw`

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't say they don't have any competition...they're just the best bang for the buck right now. I believe the PS3 got creamed in May's NPD numbers, so once BR players get more mainstream they might be forced to make some changes.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree. It has been one of the best players, but as players come out with similar features (aside from gaming, music storage, etc...) I do think we will start to see lower cost players cut into PS3 sales.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
I treat my PS3 as a Blue Ray player on that note not as a game system. I have both and for the games the teen age kids play games mainly on the Xbox 360. There is competition on gaming front but not really on HD dvd's.

engtaz

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis