Nieghbor complains about base

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Redbone....You make very strong points and I share them.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
RLA,

My Yamaha RX-V540 directs LFE to my front Towers because I elected not to have a sub (compromise with my wife). Should I get a ButtKicher2, I assume it, or the special amplifier that should go with it, would use the receiver's subwoofer output. That being the case, I assume I would lose audible LFE from the Towers...and that would be hardly acceptable.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi Mfabien
Your Yamaha Receiver has the ability to select Large Front mains and
direct LFE to "BOTH" this is in the set up menu of the receiver
you would then use the subwoofer pre-out to a Butt Kicker AMP
that can drive 2 Butt Kicker LFE's
You can get the whole Kit that includes (1) Butt Kicker LFE (1) 2100 watt amp wiring and mounting kit for $529

Ray

R

Redbone

Audioholic
I share your pain vancouver as I was very weary of getting a sub as I live in a duplex. Then I thought to myself, I have a right to enjoy myself and live my life to. I have a nice Hsu STF2 that can really pound, although I usually keep it at nice audible levels 85dB or so to be courteous. If I wanted to get silly though I am sure I could hit 105dB without equipment problems and I guess that would be being a ****.

If you keep it civil he cannot complain and if he does about that screw him for being unreasonable. As was stated earlier in this post, a member heard a car outside his window that vibrated his desk and chair and their is nothing we can do about that. Your neighbor has to accept the fact that he lives next to an audioholic.

Beegowl

Beegowl

Junior Audioholic
Considerate Behavior

Well, guys, I'm no Miss Manners, but I'm going to throw in my two cents worth as a dedicated audiophile and owner of a system that can definitely shake the neighbor's walls. Apartment living does require some compromises, but as one who has experienced both sides of the issue, I have to come down on the side of those whose rights we encroach upon with audio systems that intrude into their right to enjoy the silence and peace of their own little haven. Just put yourself into the shoes of someone who is deep into a meditative trance (or reading, or napping, or...) when it is broken by an inconsiderate audiophile listening to L. L. Cool J at foundation shaking bass levels. Or watching the battle scenes from Master and Commander. It's just not fair to others. When I lived in an apartment I just did not turn the volume up on my system. I bought a pair of good headphones and used them, and went to someone else's place to share a movie if I really wanted to turn it up. Or made sure my neighbors were away for the weekend. I found a house to rent and moved out so I could enjoy my system as loud as I wanted to enjoy it. If apartment living is your only option, then an audio system that brings the cops to your front door for disturbing the peace just doesn't make sense.

I love music and I like to listen to it loud, but I don't have the right to disturb my neighbor, just as he doesn't have the right to disturb me.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I live in a Phila. row home so I am well aware of the problems loud music can cause with neighbors. I try to be considerate. I don't play music loudly before 9AM or after 10PM except om weekends when 11PM or midnight is the limit. Of course, when I have a party I may go longer than that but then I invite my neighbors. :cool:

R

Redbone

Audioholic
I agree with you gentlemen, there is a limit and we all know that limit, shaking the walls with bass is beyond that limit and we know this. I used to live next door to a bunch of college kids and every night at 11pm sharp the surround sound system went on. It was no doubt one of those crappy panasonice all in one systems so it didn't really shake the walls, but they had no consideration for me or my girlfriend and her 9 year old child.

I know what it is like to be on both sides and the bottom line for me is that your neighbors shouldn't prevent you from listening to music at a nice respectable (75dB- 85) level, in those situations everybody has to learn to live with everybody. I keep a sound meter handy and if my neighbor wants to complain I can always say my system was 75-80dB well within the rights of the law.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Well I am under the impression that if you don't want to hear your niegbors then buy a house and dont share a wall with them. Since I chose to live in the city and share walls with people I accept their noise and they must respect mine. I disagree that I shouldnt play my music in case my neigbor is reading or napping....in that case they are infringing on my little hevan which includes music. I think the only reasonable comprimise is to not play music past 10 pm.

My nieghbor is 70 plus years old and I am 26...it may be time for him to buy a house or go into an old age home. I am not being unreasonable with my music he just comlains any time he can hear me.

Think about this analogy....what if I was in a band and made my living that way. Would that mean I can not practice my instrument at my home?

P

Punkuk

Enthusiast
Another Tactile Transducer Option

There is another way to go check these guys out.
http://www.clarksynthesis.com/home-products.php
I got two and they rocked
I blew one after about a year sent it back and no problems they replaced it.

You can drive them off of your front outputs if your amp can handle the low Impedance that way you will get the full spectrum of sound.
The only problem I found going this route was because they are not as fast as my fronts I got voices in my arse.
I then used a second LFE output from a DTR 9.1 to an Adcom 555 (Plenty of oomph)

I don’t think 1500 watts is necessary unless you have them mounted under a custom riser 150 watts is plenty if you mount them to a sofa or chair.

Remember they are there to enhance your listening experience and not be the center of it.

Last edited:
J

johnu

Enthusiast
Vancouver said:
Well I am under the impression that if you don't want to hear your niegbors then buy a house and dont share a wall with them. Since I chose to live in the city and share walls with people I accept their noise and they must respect mine. I disagree that I shouldnt play my music in case my neigbor is reading or napping....in that case they are infringing on my little hevan which includes music. I think the only reasonable comprimise is to not play music past 10 pm.
What an anarchist point of view :-( If you are disturbing neighbors with your music, how are they possibly infringing on your rights?

Vancouver said:
My nieghbor is 70 plus years old and I am 26...it may be time for him to buy a house or go into an old age home. I am not being unreasonable with my music he just comlains any time he can hear me.
Maybe it is time for you to go buy a house.

Vancouver said:
Think about this analogy....what if I was in a band and made my living that way. Would that mean I can not practice my instrument at my home?
Well, finally you get it. If you are making a living in a band, you should rent a studio where you can play as loud as you want.

J

johnu

Enthusiast
Redbone said:
On the weekends anything should go- your neighbor needs to learn that he does not live in a single family home and comprimise is what is needed.
I couldn't disagree more. You are the one who needs to learn that you are not living in a single family home. Having been on the other side of the situation, an *ssh*l* neighbor blasting on their stereo or letting their dogs bark all the time can make your apartment a living hell. I would be constantly complaining to the landlord and the police if "anything should go". It doesn't make any difference if it is the weekend or daytime hours, although in most apartments, the higher background noise during daytime hours lets you make a little more noise.

I own my own house now so I don't have to deal with *ssh*l* neighbors.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
johnu said:
I couldn't disagree more. You are the one who needs to learn that you are not living in a single family home. Having been on the other side of the situation, an *ssh*l* neighbor blasting on their stereo or letting their dogs bark all the time can make your apartment a living hell. I would be constantly complaining to the landlord and the police if "anything should go". It doesn't make any difference if it is the weekend or daytime hours, although in most apartments, the higher background noise during daytime hours lets you make a little more noise.

I own my own house now so I don't have to deal with *ssh*l* neighbors.
Thats right...you own your own home now so you don't have to deal with it. Bu when you share walls you should expect to hear your nieghbors. If I want to play the piano or even drums in my own house then I should be able to.

I used to be a landlord for a buildering with 30 appartments and when ever someone complained about a noisy heighbor I told them that if the noise isnt before 9am or after 11 pm then there is nothing I can say. I also suggested they do what you did...buy a house with no walls shared by nieghbors. If they can't afford a house...well life is tough..work harder.

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
Unfortunately, everyone's threshold is different; sound level can be fairly subjective. Consequently, you may very well be accommodating your neighbor and doing your best to be sensitive to him, but he may be totally unaware.

Not an easy situation. At least if you can let him know that you have been comprimising as much as you can, then what else can you really do? If it prevents him from sleeping at night- say he goes to bed earlier than 10:00, then maybe you can turn it down at that time- unless he goes to bed ridiculously early.

:confused: -Yama

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Yamaman said:
Unfortunately, everyone's threshold is different; sound level can be fairly subjective.

Not an easy situation. At least if you can let him know that you have been comprimising as much as you can, then what else can you really do? If it prevents him from sleeping at night- say he goes to bed earlier than 10:00, then maybe you can turn it down at that time- unless he goes to bed
I have to agree. I have lived next to neighbors who were extremely critical of every sound I made and others that wouldn't call the police if there was a shooting in my apartment. I think that you need to talk with your neighbor and discuss the noise problem, let them know that you are interested in working out a compromise, but also be prepared by knowing your rights (laws, apartment rules, etc.) if you neighbor is not willing to work with you. That way, when the police show up you can say, "Hey, look, this is the law, these are the complex rules, I've tried to meet them half way but they won't budge." Believe me, the cops will side with you, they sided with me!

R

Redbone

Audioholic
right oh, why try to accomadate a neighbor that is an a-hole and will not meet you half way. I know far to many people in this world mostly older folks who will not compromise no matter what the offerings. Therefore we must go on with our lives. I believe the law states that over 90dB is disturbing the peace and music cannot be played loudly before 8am or after 10pm in my area at least.

Live your life as you see fit, 'Cause others rarely give a damn about you.

J

johnu

Enthusiast
Redbone said:
right oh, why try to accomadate a neighbor that is an a-hole and will not meet you half way. I know far to many people in this world mostly older folks who will not compromise no matter what the offerings.
You are disturbing them, they aren't disturbing you. Why should they compromise? Maybe it is you who should move.

I believe the law states that over 90dB is disturbing the peace and music cannot be played loudly before 8am or after 10pm in my area at least.
Just for drill, I checked the Seattle noise ordinance. In a residential area, it looks like the limit is 55 decibels during the day, reducing to 45 for evening, early morning hours. This is measured at the destination location.

If you live in a cheaply built building with walls thinner than a Motel 6 towel, you aren't going to be able play much louder than 60 or 70 decibels and still be legal. If you live in a well insulated building with great soundproofing, you may be able to play at 90 DB and not have a problem.

J

johnu

Enthusiast
Vancouver said:
Bu when you share walls you should expect to hear your nieghbors. If I want to play the piano or even drums in my own house then I should be able to.
Occasionally, you should expect to hear your neighbors. Hours on end at levels you can't ignore is not acceptable. As for playing the piano or drums, remember, you aren't in your own house, you are in an apartment or condo.

Vancouver said:
I used to be a landlord for a buildering with 30 appartments and when ever someone complained about a noisy heighbor I told them that if the noise isnt before 9am or after 11 pm then there is nothing I can say.
Most upscale apartment complexes will side with the quiet tenants if it is at all close for economic reasons. Loud tenants can cause any number of other tenants, who will have no problem finding another place, to leave as soon as they can, which costs the owners money.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Redbone said:
Live your life as you see fit, 'Cause others rarely give a damn about you.
There's some irony in your post, but I just can't put my finger on it...

Oh yeah, do unto others...

I may be one of those "older" people you don't think much of, but I can attest to the fact that if you treat everyone like crap you will get treated like crap. I lived that way for many years and that philosophy simply doesn't stand up.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Try living in the Boston area Az then give my your take on that one. Be polite in an upscale Boston suberb and they will run you over, people are like that in this highly aggressive area. ME FIRST.

Noise Ordinance? I dont know what they do in seattle but in MA I hear 100dB stereo systems in cars that shake the walls and no one does anything. Also those super loud chopper bikes way over 95dB and nothing gets done about that either. We suffer from hearing those obnouxiously loud things but have to live with it.

I say live your life with respect for your neighbor i.e don't put your stereo at reference levels when they are home, but still live your life, watch your movies and music at a decent audible level. My point is everybody has the right to live. This thread is begining to bore me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis