NHT SuperZero 2.0 Mini-Monitors First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Rather than try to be something they aren't, the new NHT SuperZero 2.0 mini-monitors are just trying to do what a small speaker can - midrange and high frequency response leaving the bass to the sub. NHT has made choices with the SuperZero 2.0 to make them easy place, easy to wall mount, and easy to afford all this without making promises (like chest thumping bass) that they can't possibly keep. The real story here, however, is the price. When the SuperZero speakers first came out in 1994, they were $250 a piece and were being hailed as a bargain. The NHT SuperZero 2.0s will run you less than $100 each. That's an impressive feat and one that should have a lot of people taking notice.

Discuss "NHT SuperZero 2.0 Mini-Monitors First Look" here. Read the article.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The NHT SuperZero speakers were my first "real" speakers (along with the NHT SW2P subwoofer, Acurus 200X3 amp, and Acurus RL11 preamp).

I dare say they had the midrange clarity, detail, and resolution that rival some $23,000/pr speakers I've auditioned along the way.

My little brother Tommy now owns them (5.1 Set along with the HK AVR-247, Sony PS3, Kimber Kable wires), and I still find them to sound just as good every time I listen to them.

I always had a lot of respect for NHT.

Then one day I read the review on Home Theater Magazine about the NHT Aboslute Zero. It had the best frequency response of any speaker I have never seen in my life regardless of price (5-point average on-axis, +/- 15 degrees horizontal/vertical off-axis from 200Hz - 10kHz).

I now have the utmost respect for NHT.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
In my room, on stands about 18" from rear wall... they did NOT play down to 85Hz...

Audyssey was selecting 200Hz xover... 150Hz if I moved them back to about 16"...

So it looked like they were rolling off around that 150Hz mark in my room... or perhaps there was a null around that frequency due to my room? - although I doubt this is the case, given results using others speakers in this room in the same placement on stands.

Audyssey was selecting 120-150Hz for my Energy RC-Mini's which are pretty bass deficient too; 110-120Hz for the Mirage OMD-5; usually 90Hz for my PSB Image B4, and 80Hz (sometimes 60Hz - in-room peak maybe?) for the NHT Absolute Zero...

So it would seem Audyssey is reasonably in line with the expected low end of these speakers...

Getting back to the point... my experiences with the Super Zero 2.0 agree with what zieglj01 is suggesting... They really need to have some rear wall reinforcement to have any bass at all...

That said... I did like the midrange alot on those little speakers, and the highs were pretty nice too. My grip was the need for a high xover... so I sent them back and moved to some more bass capable speakers.

I've love to see some quasi-anechoic as well as in-room measurements of the SZ 2.0 just to see how they do...

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
In my room, on stands about 18" from rear wall... they did NOT play down to 85Hz...
This is what I'm worried about with these speakers. Is 85Hz doable without a port? Maybe. But I'd want to hear them (or have someone measure them) first.

K

khoncrete

Audiophyte
These look almost identical to a old set of Velodyne CHT speakers that I still own. The CHT's didn't play down to 85hz, but the could play very loud without audible strain or damage. If I remember correctly Velodyne took all the neccessary precautions to make sure those little speakers couldn't be damaged by overpowering them. Lets just hope NHT did the same.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
The NHT SuperZero speakers were my first "real" speakers (along with the NHT SW2P subwoofer, Acurus 200X3 amp, and Acurus RL11 preamp).

I dare say they had the midrange clarity, detail, and resolution that rival some $23,000/pr speakers I've auditioned along the way.

My little brother Tommy now owns them (5.1 Set along with the HK AVR-247, Sony PS3, Kimber Kable wires), and I still find them to sound just as good every time I listen to them.

I always had a lot of respect for NHT.

Then one day I read the review on Home Theater Magazine about the NHT Aboslute Zero. It had the best frequency response of any speaker I have never seen in my life regardless of price (5-point average on-axis, +/- 15 degrees horizontal/vertical off-axis from 200Hz - 10kHz).

I now have the utmost respect for NHT.
You got to love their speakers at any price point.
Cannot agree with you more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis