Next sub project - TC-3000 15"

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Hey all, I thought I would see what you all think. I am using single TC Sounds TC-3000 15" driver in a front firing configuration and will be using two 15" TC PR's on the left and the right side. The whole thing will be a 21" cube with a net volume of 4.2 ft^3. I will be tuning the PR's to 14-15 Hz. The overall goal here is to create a super-LFE unit is a rather small package. The 4 VC driver will be wired to 6 ohms and powered by an EP2500 at about 1500ish watts. Talk amongst yourselves...:p

kramskoi

kramskoi

Enthusiast
bmccord said:
Hey all, I thought I would see what you all think. I am using single TC Sounds TC-3000 15" driver in a front firing configuration and will be using two 15" TC PR's on the left and the right side. The whole thing will be a 21" cube with a net volume of 4.2 ft^3. I will be tuning the PR's to 14-15 Hz. The overall goal here is to create a super-LFE unit is a rather small package. The 4 VC driver will be wired to 6 ohms and powered by an EP2500 at about 1500ish watts. Talk amongst yourselves...:p
excellent driver choice btw...i don't know how much to 15" PR's cost but you "might" be able to score another driver for the same price as the passives...

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
true, but at the size I am shooting for, the PR's will allow me to get extremely low freq's. However the multiple drivers would net SPL's but I think this unit could make some serious noise. I have always wanted to play around with PR's and with extremely high excursion subwoofers come silly large ports and and with sub sonic notes come port noise. I think I may enjoy this project and I highly doubt I will be disappointed with the outcome using a TC-3000:D

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
bmccord said:
true, but at the size I am shooting for, the PR's will allow me to get extremely low freq's. However the multiple drivers would net SPL's but I think this unit could make some serious noise. I have always wanted to play around with PR's and with extremely high excursion subwoofers come silly large ports and and with sub sonic notes come port noise. I think I may enjoy this project and I highly doubt I will be disappointed with the outcome using a TC-3000:D
Why not step up to the EP2500? The extra juice on tap really won't hurt.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
bmccord said:
the tc-3000 reqire 500-2000watts each.the ep2500 put,s out 450@8ohms,1200@2ohms per channel.thier lots of room here for more power.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I should have mentioned, I will be bridging the EP2500 to a mono 2400 watts at 4 ohm, however the driver will be wired for 6 ohm, thus getting 1.5ish Kw of juice. Should be plenty. As for the stepping up to the EP2500, in the original post it states I am using the EP2500. Not sure what you meant.

annunaki

annunaki

Nominal impedance on each coil is 2 ohms. Series The EP2500 would get you around 2000watts rms. Headroom is a great thing when it comes to subwoofers. This option (EP2500) would give you a 2.5db increase in headroom should you need it over the EP1500. The DCR is the resistance of the subwoofer at rest. Impedance will vary a bit depending upon frequency.

The inductance is quite high on that subwoofer. I would hope it will only be used for the lowest of frequencies. It may not be real accurate at higher frequencies (above 50hz) (that inductance measurment is dependent upon the wiring configuraton at the time the T/S parameters were taken as well) you may want to call them and ask them what it would be in a dual 4 ohm config.

That looks to be a very impressive project. An Eq would be and excellent touch to the system.

Last edited:
bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Hmm, a fella on the TC forums was saying that you can only wire a Quad VC TC-3000 in .35, 1.4, and 5.6 ohms, thus why I chose 5.6 ohms and would end up getting around 1.5 Kw out of the bridged EP2500. I was hoping the unit would be somewhat musical but it is more or less an 'all HT' sub. I have a half dozen or so HT DIY subs layin around I might pilfer and make a Music only sub and toggle between them per my listening needs. I was also planning on running the new BFD as an EQ but I am quite unfamiliar with them. Also, does the EP2500 have an RCA input or do I need a 1/4" to RCA adapter? Thanks everyone. I am pretty much a bass-aholic so there is never enough LFE....haha

annunaki

annunaki

I goofed on my original post sorry.

There are no RCA inputs on the EP2500.

Actually after some thinking. You would have to run all the coils in series for an 8 ohm (nominal) mono load giving you the 5.6 ohm DCR if you want to bridge the amplifier.

Personally, I would run Coils 1 & 2 in series and run them to channel A on the amplifier then the same with 3 & 4 to channel B. Just feed the amplifier a mono signal from your source and voltage match each channel with a quality DMM. This would let the amplifier run in a 4 ohm stereo mode. It will probably do quite well in that configuration. Probably better than bridged. With the sub wired this way, based upon the other DCR values being 70% of their nominal, The amp would "see" a 2.8 ohm "stereo" load. That should net you right around 1000 watts rms x 2.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis