J

jnboone

Junior Audioholic
You can see my system below. Question is what thing(s) do I buy for Christmas? My thoughts are (in approx low to high expense):

1. Oppo 103D
2. Sonos Rack
3. Emotiva XPA5 or 7
4. Second SVS SB 13 Ultra
5. Vizio 70" M class
6. Projector/Screen probably Epson 5030 UBE and fixed screen (not high end)
7. Upgrade fronts to RBH 8300R

I'm renting a house, so future flexibility is important. The thing that bugs me the most right now is the 55" screen. I don't want to buy something that I'll want to replace in 2-4 years. Don't mind it too much if I could repurpose in second living area or master bedroom. Right now I'm 60% tv, 30% movies, and 10% music.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Out of these options I'd go with new Proj/Screen if you have space for it (ie sufficiently dark)
This will give you biggest impact for your dollar
Second option would be to do something about bass:
I think that SVS SB13 Ultra is an exceptional performer with tiny size, but also WAY to Expensive if size is less critical for you
For less than price of a SINGLE SB13U you could get these two subs:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2Dual.html
Each of them is 3-6db stronger than SB13U (according to CEA2010 Max passing, 1m->2m -6db adjusted)
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sb13-ultra-subwoofer/GSB13UCEA2010.png

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You can see my system below. Question is what thing(s) do I buy for Christmas? My thoughts are (in approx low to high expense):

1. Oppo 103D
2. Sonos Rack
3. Emotiva XPA5 or 7
4. Second SVS SB 13 Ultra
5. Vizio 70" M class
6. Projector/Screen probably Epson 5030 UBE and fixed screen (not high end)
7. Upgrade fronts to RBH 8300R

I'm renting a house, so future flexibility is important. The thing that bugs me the most right now is the 55" screen. I don't want to buy something that I'll want to replace in 2-4 years. Don't mind it too much if I could repurpose in second living area or master bedroom. Right now I'm 60% tv, 30% movies, and 10% music.
To me, your question hinges on what is the proper size TV/screen for your room?
If it is 70", get the 70. If it is 80-90" wait a year (prices dropped quite a bit this year, but at 70" you are still in the $$bleeding edge of technology). If it is 120", get a projector (but I don't know lord helmet about projectors, so take that with a grain of salt).

We can't really gauge the comparative worth of the Sonus rack.

The Denon 4520 has a strong amp section, so I might suggest getting a two channel amp for the mains and letting the Denon handle surrounds and center. A pair of XPA-100's would get you more power for your mains than the XPA-5 for less.

Unless you are noticing issues with your current sound to indicate you need more power, I believe the second sub is most likely to make a readily audible improvement.

So my answer is
1) TV/projector as appropriate to get your final size, if it makes sense to wait (because the price of a 70" is liable to go down $500 or more in the next year - I would not buy it as a stop gap measure), get a
2) Subwoofer

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You already have excellent speakers - RBH SX-Reference monitors.

SVS sub is very good.

Excellent Denon AVR. Are you using Audyssey Dynamic EQ?

I say just wait until you buy the new house first. Then get both the Epson PJ & RBH SX-8300/R. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Out of these options I'd go with new Proj/Screen if you have space for it (ie sufficiently dark)
This will give you biggest impact for your dollar
Second option would be to do something about bass:
I think that SVS SB13 Ultra is an exceptional performer with tiny size, but also WAY to Expensive if size is less critical for you
For less than price of a SINGLE SB13U you could get these two subs:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2Dual.html
Each of them is 3-6db stronger than SB13U (according to CEA2010 Max passing, 1m->2m -6db adjusted)
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sb13-ultra-subwoofer/GSB13UCEA2010.png
You are factoring for distance, but you forgot to factor in peak to RMS conversion, which would subtract another 3 dB from the Hsu's measurements to make them technically comparable to the SB13 Ultra. However, even then, the ULS-15 has a healthy output advantage, and two would have a major output advantage over the SB13 in addition to being able to create a smoother frequency response. What's also nice is the ULS-15 is over 25 lbs lighter and only 1 - 2 inches larger in size, which makes it more manageable.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Depending on your current disc player is, I can tell you that the Oppo will make an immediately noticeable improvement in picture quality.

So if a display/ pj is in the works, try and budget for the Oppo, because it will make you merry!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Depending on your current disc player is, I can tell you that the Oppo will make an immediately noticeable improvement in picture quality.

So if a display/ pj is in the works, try and budget for the Oppo, because it will make you merry!
I can see some improvements with possibly upscaling, but both playing BDs I doubt the impact will be noticeable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As for the external amp. I think the only reason you would need one is if you got the RBH SX-8300/R and you wanted to ACTIVELY bi-amp the Woofers. In which case, I think a $300-$600 subwoofer amp would be better.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I can see some improvements with possibly upscaling, but both playing BDs I doubt the impact will be noticeable.
The video processing is stellar! Hooked up to a plasma, this has the best video quality I've seen. I've seen larger screens with lesser players and the difference is obvious. They are a worthy upgrade to any display!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It should also be noted that I solely watch on a BDP-93, haven't had cable in over a decade! So if your viewing is not so disc based, then yes it is definitely a premium!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis