M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Geeze. That's crazy. I would point out that Dodge is owned by Fiat and by all accounts they have not done some smart things. I have a 2015 Durango that I love. It has a Dodge designed engine (hopefully it doesn't catch fire...) and have heard really bad things about the Dodges that have Fiat parts.

IIRC Fiat ownes Alfa as well so that may speak to their reliability issues.
I worked for a company that is controlled by Fiat. Yeah, design/supplier decisions are often done by connections vs what is right or best for the customer. So there are quality issues. They have some really nice looking cars sold in Europe and have improved the Chrysler product family, especially the interiors. I think it's a toss up. Still not there for quality like some brands, but better than they used to be.

I have a 2014 Durango like you and it's been good for the most part (85k miles now). But the fuel door is cheap and stopped functioning properly at 42,000 miles. So I jam a McDonalds drink straw in there to apply pressure, then hit the release button.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I worked for a company that is controlled by Fiat. Yeah, design/supplier decisions are often done by connections vs what is right or best for the customer. So there are quality issues. They have some really nice looking cars sold in Europe and have improved the Chrysler product family, especially the interiors. I think it's a toss up. Still not there for quality like some brands, but better than they used to be.

I have a 2014 Durango like you and it's been good for the most part (85k miles now). But the fuel door is cheap and stopped functioning properly at 42,000 miles. So I jam a McDonalds drink straw in there to apply pressure, then hit the release button.
Totally agree on the interior upgrades. Huge improvement. Does your Durango have the capless filler?

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Totally agree on the interior upgrades. Huge improvement. Does your Durango have the capless filler?
Yes it does. Liked it at first. Now, it's a pain in the @ss. I really should go to the dealer and get an estimate on fixing it. It's a pretty cheap and flimsy design so if I spend the money, how long do I have before it fails again?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My buddy's shop just happens to be selling a very nice FXT right now. Too bad you're so far. It is super low miles like my STI: it is a 2014 Touring White w/black leather with just 6380 mi.

Factory Accessories: Cargo Tray, Cargo Cover, Remote Engine Start, EyeSight, Navi, Harmon Kardon Sound System, Dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and approach lights in the side mirrors.

Mods: SS Brake Lines, Our Lowering springs and Catback Exhaust, Samco Radiator Hoses, Full Front Clear Bra. Windows are Tinted except for the front windshield.

$26K

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes it does. Liked it at first. Now, it's a pain in the @ss. I really should go to the dealer and get an estimate on fixing it. It's a pretty cheap and flimsy design so if I spend the money, how long do I have before it fails again?
Wonder if you could just simply use this to fix it?

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Wonder if you could just simply use this to fix it?
Nope. No threads for a gas cap. Or none that I have noticed since I bought it almost 4 years ago. I'm sure the dealer has a fix since I'm sure I'm not the only one that has the issue. I found this quote on a Dodge forum from someone with the same issue (apparently quite common).

"Ok, final update. I pulled the wheel and fender well off to check out the inside of the gas door assembly. There is a plastic pin that pushed through the hinge and comes out the bottom. On the top of this pin there is a metal spring clamp thing. So, the pin came out of the bottom of the hinge making it flap around when the door was open. This caused the spring clamp to come off of a post it was supposed to be secured to. So, I pushed the pin down and secured the door. Then I hooked the spring clamp back up to where it was supposed to be, and its all fixed. I still have no clue how to take out the gas door housing though. Thank goodness I didnt need to."

So it looks like I probably just have to rip out the rear interior to get to the pin and push it back in place... Yeah, I'll get right on that after I get teh other 97 things on the honey-do list done.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nope. No threads for a gas cap. Or none that I have noticed since I bought it almost 4 years ago. I'm sure the dealer has a fix since I'm sure I'm not the only one that has the issue. I found this quote on a Dodge forum from someone with the same issue (apparently quite common).

"Ok, final update. I pulled the wheel and fender well off to check out the inside of the gas door assembly. There is a plastic pin that pushed through the hinge and comes out the bottom. On the top of this pin there is a metal spring clamp thing. So, the pin came out of the bottom of the hinge making it flap around when the door was open. This caused the spring clamp to come off of a post it was supposed to be secured to. So, I pushed the pin down and secured the door. Then I hooked the spring clamp back up to where it was supposed to be, and its all fixed. I still have no clue how to take out the gas door housing though. Thank goodness I didnt need to."

So it looks like I probably just have to rip out the rear interior to get to the pin and push it back in place... Yeah, I'll get right on that after I get teh other 97 things on the honey-do list done.
I hear ya. I didn't think it had threads since mine doesn't either, but I figured I'd suggest it just in case. Stupid problem to have.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My Outback 2015 3.6 is about to end lease in 5 months. The car has been so far 100% reliable and other than few quickly handled recalls and regular maintenance, nothing ever needed fixing.
It's roomy, handles well and 7.1s 0-60mph is not too terrible of performance. I don't even mind the CVT transmission.

What bugs me is that Suburu is being very lazy with engine choice. Flat inline 3.6
7.1s - I feel that it's long in the tooth and long overdue to be replaced with more modern turbo/supercharged engine. Bit more reading on this "marvel" of technology: http://www.speedville.com/egnine-feature-subarus-flat-six-engines/
It's neither very fast nor very good at fuel economy. Only thing goes for it - it's using cheaper regular gas.
The infotainment system in 2015 car feels quite lacking. I heard 2018 supposed to be much better, including (very much must for me now is) Android Auto. But I'd want to check it myself first.

I'm really looking for next crossover/wagon to as well or better at handling. Definitely a bit faster of the line. Comparable size would be nice.

My current top candidates (besides Outback 2018 3.6R) are Audi Q5 and Jag F-Pace. Infiniti QX50/60

For Infinity 2017 models Both QX30 and QX50 ratings are mixed, but still in running. Typically infinity have strong engine, but electronics lacking. Both 2017 QX50 and QX60 been nicked in reviews for below average handling. One other MAJOR issue with QX50, is if I'd like safety tech like Brake assist and Lane departure and Blind spot monitoring (etc), I basically have to raise the price by 8k!!!. Yes, it will give some nice features such as Nav and fancy seats, but it's real shame, I couldn't bolt these essential safety tech without adding ALL of luxury stuff. I'm driving for last 20 years, so technically I don't need these, but they keep you focused better if you drive distracted, but for my new driver wife they are lifesavers, literally.

Jag's 20d Diesel engine isn't great, but quickly gets very expensive (52-56k+) and some features aren't even fully matching my current 3y old outback

No doubt Audi Q5 is not cheap, but getting all the features I care about MSRP stops under 47k, so it not as terrible as F-pace.

Basically I just wish Subaru did something to their current engine selection, it's been showing their age 5 years ago and it's much worse now. 3.6 boxer is a decent engine, but as I've mentioned, it's lacking in both power, torque and efficiency. Basically if you quickly look at comparable european crossovers (and 2018 Infiniti qx30) - turbo 2.0L engines are in and getting 300hp out of them seems to be fairly easy. and v6 engines producing 400hp and up

p.s: Bonus find:
Alfa 2018 STELVIO AWD. 0-60mph at 5.4s and nicely priced under 45k msrp. Well, Given Alfa's famous "reliability" even Fiat owners I doubt could save it.
I seems you're in the SUV market and I'm more of a sports sedan guy these days with the kids gone.

I own a 2009 G37 Infiniti...110k mi on it (I bought it coming off a 3yr lease with 28k mi on it) I love it almost everything about it...Nissan/Infiniti is about the power at the top of the models... reliability has been very good for me thus far.

The new Q stuff...I took my car in to get the transmission programming updated so they gave me a Q50s loaner...the steer by wire lacks the feel of the G37...even in sport mode the steering is very light, which I didn't like at all, but for an SUV that's probably not a big deal. I assume the steer by wire is an upgrade.

We also have a BMW for the wife and the point of this...it has NAV...imo it's a nice feature to have, but my iphone GPS is better...so much so that we rarely ever use the one in the car...I wouldn't pay a lot for that feature. It also has the lane sensors...I'm not the daily driver, but it's never gone off with me driving....yet.

FWIW...my wife's dad sold Subarus back in the 80s/90s...they were built like tanks back then...they kind of fell off the radar for awhile but back now.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
A lot of accidents are caused by distractions while driving but cars are released with more and more gadgets that lead to distractions, without taking into account cell phones and texting while driving.

We also have to pay for things that we don't need to take us safely from Point "A" to Point "B".

Some people will pay for that misplaced technology. The death toll on roads had started to decrease, but I believe the situation will revert in the near future. What silliness!

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
love my 2014 Chevy Traverse, 46000 miles, zero issues. The redesigned 2018 model looks superb

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
You should at least check out the 2017 Mazda CX-9. It is one sexy machine and contains Mazda's most powerful engine. I don't know if it is fast enough for you but it is a damn nice vehicle inside and out. My 2016 Mazda 6 has been 100% trouble free over 36k miles so far and my old 2007 Mazda 3 went 180k trouble free miles. Mazda vehicles are fun to drive from the tiny MX-5 up to the large CX-9.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Ho, totally agree with you on the Mazdas, superb vehicles IMO as well.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Ho, thanks for suggestion. I am furm believer in Japanese car reliability. Mazda CX-9 seems like a real nice car. Good size, equipment, price, features and even quality of finish. Only gripe is 0-60 at 7.2 seconds is about same as outback 3.6. still it's larger so it's something to consider. I'll have to test drive one to have better option of it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@Mikado I think I was pretty clear by now that I'm not looking for anything designed and/or engineered in this side of the ocean.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@Mikado I think I was pretty clear by now that I'm not looking for anything designed and/or engineered in this side of the ocean.
@ BoredSysAdmin -Time will tell us who thinks right!
Governments in Canada are going to put stiff fines for people who are caught talking on the phone, texting or reading books while driving, and there is surely a reason for it!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Ho, thanks for suggestion. I am furm believer in Japanese car reliability. Mazda CX-9 seems like a real nice car. Good size, equipment, price, features and even quality of finish. Only gripe is 0-60 at 7.2 seconds is about same as outback 3.6. still it's larger so it's something to consider. I'll have to test drive one to have better option of it.
My take, BSA, is you're trying to have it both ways. You want your perception of Japanese reliability and still be fun to drive. I've never experienced it, especially in anything with a Lexus or Acura label on it, which are the only brands that will likely have the power you want.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My take, BSA, is you're trying to have it both ways. You want your perception of Japanese reliability and still be fun to drive. I've never experienced it, especially in anything with a Lexus or Acura label on it, which are the only brands that will likely have the power you want.
I think you hit the nail on the head Irv. I do want fun car and I also want to be reliable.
I think some Infiniti crossovers could be both, same goes for Subaru/Mazda only if they don't be so cautious and add larger/more umph engines as an option.
Obviously EU makers have some great options, like Audi, BMW, Merc, Jag and even Alfa, but except last one all of them are priced about 10k over than my approximate goal of staying under $500/m lease with low downpayment. Keep in mind I am interested in most base models. I want it to be loaded. Practically only system which usually for some reason costs a ton on car is Nav is also my least used. I prefer Google Maps/Waze instead. Android Auto is also very high on my list of want to have.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Base models and loaded don't lend themselves to EU cars. I'd rather drive a 250 horse BMW than a 330 horse Lexus. It's just more fun. My wife's old 530 v6 (e53 with 130k) was as fun to drive as the 540 v8. If your leasing and have no intention of post buy, don't worry excessively about spotty reliability reports, as every EU luxury dealer hands loaners out like candy at Halloween.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Whatever, but if you think for one moment that what you buy in this country has no design and or engineering influence here you are only kidding yourself !

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
There's been something itching my sense of decorum about this thread. I think y'all must have a different sense of "fun to drive" from me. Tight cornering, fast launch times, and other such performance metrics tend to signal unsafe driving and waste of gas to me. Maybe I'm just aging faster than you guys, but when I see people slaloming through traffic or straightening curves on country roads without allowing time for the unexpected, "He must be having fun" is the last thing I think. Instead, I usually think, "He must have to poop really bad." For me, prodigious ability to merge into Interstate traffic is fast enough, and if I can do that at over 20MPG fuel economy I'm happy. I really think BSA ought to test drive the Acura MDX. Maybe it's not as sporty as some of the other recommendations; but it is refined, reliable, living room recliner comfortable, has enough decadent luxury features to let you know you aren't settling, and is no slouch in its performance. Irv's disapproval notwithstanding, there's a reason it comes highly recommended by many of his colleagues.

I'm not sure what luxury SUV manufacturers offer Android Auto. Seems like I saw it on Mitsubishi's website, but I'm pretty sure those offerings have shortcomings in other areas. Edit: Ah, there's a list.

I'm struggling to understand the appeal of Android Auto as well. I'm sure it's lovely, but it doesn't seem to offer much that an OEM headunit doesn't at first glance -- at least not enough that it would be a deal breaker if all other goals were met. Is it just for the better nav to be displayed in-dash? Does it allow turn-by-turn directions over Bluetooth to break into the FM radio, CD, or USB audio sources? Because that's something I sorely wish my Tacoma headunit would do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis