Newbie with product selection question

A

Accipiter

Audiophyte
Sean at AV123 suggested I look around some forums for ideas and opinions. I've been reading this one most of the day (not much going on at work this week.) So here's my situation:

I'm interested in upgrading my current stereo system to a 5.1.

I'm using an Onkyo SR700 receiver, 100wpc RMS through 8 Ohms. Speakers are inherited old, like mid-sixties, paper-cone 12" woofer with a mid and a tweeter.

I've listened to some Swan Diva 6.1's (I think they were 6.1's) at a friends house and understand they used to be sold by AV123, but AV123 now sells Onix speakers. What's the difference? Anyone have experience listening to both of these?

I'll probably use the sytem for 60% HT and 40% music, mostly classic rock and 80's rock.

The Onix Rocket RS760 is my current pick, accompanyied by the RSC-200 center, which is a huge center speaker, 12"tall.

Room is large, probably 20' by 20' or slightly larger and includes the kitchen; entertainment area is approximately half of this room, but there are no walls. It is all hardwood floors.

I like the direct supplier idea of AV123, and they have a great deal on dipole surrounds, which is how I originally found their site. Any other suggestions I should look at? Trying to keep the main 5 speakers around $2k. I will add a powered sub within the year, probably an SVS cylinder.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

Accipiter

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis