Newbie with a rookie question

Z

Zachary

Audiophyte
Recently I purchased a Sony STR-DH770 as well as a pair of Polk Tsi-200 bookshelf speakers and a Polk PSW108 sub. I had a budget of 550$ and with deals and whatnot, I was able to get everything under that. The bluetooth connectivity has not been working and after a lot of phone conversations, the company I ordered it from is exchanging it for a new one. A customer service rep has suggested that I take advantage of current sales and upgrade to a Onkyo TX-NR656 or Denon AVR X1300W for the wireless capabilities. Currently I only have cable and an xbone through the receiver(smart TV apps for most other stuff), so more HDMI ports is not a priority as of now.
My question is, would it be better to upgrade from this receiver to a different model, or finish my system by purchasing surround bookshelfs and a center channel?
I know the answer seems obvious(more speakers), but the service rep is adamant that the other receivers are "so much better than the one you have, and you do not have to wait for us to get more in stock to utilize your internet music subscriptions."
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You were able to buy a new 2.1 stereo with multi channel capability for under $500. Nice!

Upgraditis is a serious condition that does not improve with age. I would stick with what you've got and try to sample as many speakers as you possibly can before spending another dime.

The enormous number of possible configurations means that one day, you may hear something you like, and realize that you need a major equipment change to accommodate that. So don't spend the money till you're sure you know what you want!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would maybe do the Denon for various reasons, Onkyo I wouldn't consider at this time, Sony avrs don't do much for me these days; bluetooth I don't use generally except in the car (I did recently get a little adapter for non-bluetooth head unit in my car that will also work with my older gear as well, but prefer wi-fi around the house over bluetooth). The bluetooth in the Sony looks limited, what is the specific issue?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the Denon X1200W, the model before yours, but basically the same. It's a solid AVR and I really like what Audyssey does for my room. I'm with HD on the other brands.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
The bluetooth connectivity has not been working and after a lot of phone conversations, the company I ordered it from is exchanging it for a new one. A customer service rep has suggested that I take advantage of current sales and upgrade .
My question is, would it be better to upgrade from this receiver to a different model,
Upgradeitis is a serious condition and we members here at AH provide the only cure known to man: lots of ways to upgrade. Eventually, you will achieve nirvana or go completely broke.:p Having a serious case of SAD myself (Stereo Acquisition Disease), I know how much of a problem it can be.

I just recently upgraded to a Denon x4200w from an older model Denon. I have had several generations of Denon and they've all been trouble free and have performed without issue. My current x4200w is a Bluetooth capable AVR and to my surprise I can see it as a device to play tunes on from every Bluetooth capable device in my house. I hadn't considered that feature as one on my list: but since you mentioned it I can say the Bluetooth feature works and I have a pretty big house !

As far as improving your sound quality, speakers are a much better source of audible improvement over AVRs. Since you have an issue to fix: that gives you an excuse to upgrade more than one item.

Z

Zachary

Audiophyte
First I'd like to thank everyone for their input.

No one seems to know what the bluetooth issue is, except for faulty equipment, but I am sure that it is one of the attributes that I will use often.

I really also like the advice to save money and not upgrade the receiver I got to another one just because the other models are on sale. The Sony was 200$ while the other ones are currently 400$. I could justify the extra purchase is the change was going to be drastic, but it sounds like it will not make a huge difference in the short term. I suppose I just get worried jumping into a new hobby without much advice or experience from people I know. Which is why I am glad this forum exists and people don't troll you for asking newbie questions.

I really appreciate it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I also think that's a good start. What kind of phone or tablet are you using? I'm not a believer in BT audio yet, and like HD, I prefer wifi connections. As such, I might recommend getting an airport express from eBay to stay cheap. Then you can buy more speakers faster too!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I also think that's a good start. What kind of phone or tablet are you using? I'm not a believer in BT audio yet, and like HD, I prefer wifi connections. As such, I might recommend getting an airport express from eBay to stay cheap. Then you can buy more speakers faster too!
I run all my music on a local HDMI connection and stay pretty simple and as high quality as possible. The Bluetooth feature is one I never paid much attention to because its not how I play my music. Having seen it work when I was having HDMI issues for a few hours, it caught my attention. I went to play some tunes for background music in my office and low and behold my music room x4200w came up as an output option in my office. I hadn't planned that, but the bluetooth once its there seems to work all over my house without any thought at all.

I don't know that I will use it, but its something I will have to look at in the future as I look to cover more of my house with good music. The OP expressed an interest in Bluetooth so I brought it up. I'm with you however, I like my music HD.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

No one seems to know what the bluetooth issue is, except for faulty equipment, but I am sure that it is one of the attributes that I will use often.

I really also like the advice to save money and not upgrade the receiver I got to another one just because the other models are on sale. The Sony was 200$ while the other ones are currently 400$. I could justify the extra purchase is the change was going to be drastic, but it sounds like it will not make a huge difference in the short term. I suppose I just get worried jumping into a new hobby without much advice or experience from people I know. Which is why I am glad this forum exists and people don't troll you for asking newbie questions.

I really appreciate it.
I was more curious how this NFC Bluetooth feature worked, or didn't in your case....

W

wiz

Audiophyte
Upgradeitis is a serious condition and we members here at AH provide the only cure known to man: lots of ways to upgrade. Eventually, you will achieve nirvana or go completely broke.:p Having a serious case of SAD myself (Stereo Acquisition Disease), I know how much of a problem it can be.
Hi, i'm Wiz and I'm an Audioholic!

Oh I thought by being in here would be one of my 10 steps to a cure!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

I really appreciate it.
I have a Marantz Prepro with Bluetooth...I can play youtube music via my phone thru the system and I use it for discovery mostly, but it's not as stable as wifi so it just depends on what you're using it for. I'd never use it for whole house music during a gathering or something.

On your dilemma, idk much about the AVRs that you bought or potentially could upgrade to, but my thoughts. This hobby can become a black hole for cash. Given that you're working with a fairly tight budget and doing pretty well with it so far, I'd just to complete the system with the additional speakers. At some point you'll find a reason to upgrade the AVR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis