Newbie! Want to build system.. long-ish post!!

H

hellbent

Audiophyte
Hey everyone!

I am new here, and just starting to get interested in building a decent home audio system. I am a war movie nut, and no better way to watch Saving Private Ryan or Band Of Brothers in full surround..... :cool:

I am only a student, so I am definitely going to be on a budget that some may find low.

I have a Technics SA-DX940 reciever.... I hear real good and real bad things about this receiver, mostly bad due to the heat problems, but I think it sounds really good and I have not used mine much at all over the past 2 years, so it is still in super shape, just used rarely and on very low volume, so I am going to do the fan mod to it so it's on all the time and stays nice and cool.

I also have 2 Cerwin Vega E-708 front speakers.... and that's it right now.

So... right now I am looking for some rear "satellite" speakers if that's what they are called.... going to build my system piece by piece when I can afford to...... I would like some rear speakers whose quality and price range are on par with my front speakers, something that's not too expensive, but with performance that I will be very happy with.

Can anyone offer some help?

Sorry about the length!!

Thanks!!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think you might wanna check out the BIC DV62 bookshelves. They have dome tweeters, poly midbass, and great bass response like your speakers. And plus, they're $120.94 shipped from Amazon. A GREAT deal. You might wanna make them the mains...

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
hellbent said:

So... right now I am looking for some rear "satellite" speakers if that's what they are called.... going to build my system piece by piece when I can afford to...... I would like some rear speakers whose quality and price range are on par with my front speakers, something that's not too expensive, but with performance that I will be very happy with.Thanks!!
.....Mr. Bent, welcome to Audioholics.com, tell your friends, for real, you have a pair of Cerwin-Vega's that you like a lot, and would like to keep, right?, and want rears that will timbre/presence well with the Cerwins....ok, were I you, the one who is going to be spending the money, I would go listen to EVERY retail speaker I could, whether in a store or friend's home, and try to find speakers that remind you most of your older Cerwins, and take your favorite CD with you....then you'll have surround Cerwin-Vega, and I feel about Cerwin-Vega much the same as JVC....good stuff.....

S

snjadhav

Audiophyte
What does one watch for when building a system over a time

Hi Folks

I am posting my query here as I found hellbent's approach to build a system in a phased manner interesting as I was also thinking of building a system in this manner.

What does one need to watch for when you take this route to build a system?

Thanks
SJ

El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
First off Might I suggest that neither one of you go out and purchase something before hearing what you want to purchase if at all possible. Second, make sure the items you want to purchase fit well with the possiblity of your future upgrades and purchases so that you are not buying multiples of the same item at every upgrade. It is hard to build a system this way because you tend to make purchases of equipment that you may not actually want and with out the features you need, because you don't have enough cash to purchase your dream model. I am giving you this information from personal experiance, and many dissapointing this will do for now until I have money to upgrade purchases. It always seems that you are just a few dollars shy of what you really want, but believe me it will be well worth your wait for the stuff you want. With all of that said, you might want to check out a company called Reel Acoustics for your rears. They are very good imageing speakers with an exellent price point. Their top model the RB-6's are under $300.00 a pair I believe. Also, KEF makes a model called the Q compact which is about the same price and is an exellent speaker, you may also want to check out their KHT series speaker for a complete set up at a reasonable price point, and get the whole surround set up at one time.

MY Stuff:

Denon AVR-1082
NAD T 773
Denon 910 DVD
Klipsch KLF-10 (fronts)
Klipsch KSC-C1 (center)
Klipsch SS-3 (surrounds)
Klipsch KSW-12 (sub)

Monster power HTS1000

Ethereal, monster and Knukoncepts cableing

L-Jay

L-Jay

Junior Audioholic
hellbent said:
Hey everyone!

I am new here, and just starting to get interested in building a decent home audio system. I am a war movie nut, and no better way to watch Saving Private Ryan or Band Of Brothers in full surround..... :cool:

I am only a student, so I am definitely going to be on a budget that some may find low.

I have a Technics SA-DX940 reciever.... I hear real good and real bad things about this receiver, mostly bad due to the heat problems, but I think it sounds really good and I have not used mine much at all over the past 2 years, so it is still in super shape, just used rarely and on very low volume, so I am going to do the fan mod to it so it's on all the time and stays nice and cool.

So... right now I am looking for some rear "satellite" speakers if that's what they are called.... going to build my system piece by piece when I can afford to...... I would like some rear speakers whose quality and price range are on par with my front speakers, something that's not too expensive, but with performance that I will be very happy with.

Can anyone offer some help?

Sorry about the length!!

Thanks!!

How much are willing to spend exactly? Another thing is I have'nt heard any mention of a center channel speaker. You could probably go without a sub until you get enough cash but a center speaker is a must if your trying to get 5 channel surround. It may not be an option for you right now but keep in mind that it is important to voice match your speakers.

9f9c7z

Banned
If I had a little spare time and the need, I would definitely build my own spkrs. There are just too many spkr DIY websites, too many kits available, and too much money to be saved by doing it yourself. Might be better/easier to do if you are single because once the ‘woman’ factor enters the picture, spkr appearance seems to escalate as a criterion. Not to say you can’t do a fantastic finish on your own spkrs, it’s just that once ‘woman’ knows what you are capable of, well, you might as well be on a leash. Best to make ‘em ugly on purpose if there is a woman around.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
9f9c7z said:
If I had a little spare time and the need, I would definitely build my own spkrs. There are just too many spkr DIY websites, too many kits available, and too much money to be saved by doing it yourself. Might be better/easier to do if you are single because once the ‘woman’ factor enters the picture, spkr appearance seems to escalate as a criterion. Not to say you can’t do a fantastic finish on your own spkrs, it’s just that once ‘woman’ knows what you are capable of, well, you might as well be on a leash. Best to make ‘em ugly on purpose if there is a woman around.

LOL, spoken like a single guy...ex-mated!! :D

N

nak45z

Junior Audioholic
I do a like remodeling, and anytime i build some cabinets. My wife give me grief about not building cabinets for her stuff. Not to mention the mother in law.

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
hey for the mother-in-law nothing like a nice big pine box

tell her it is the billy the kid special pine box, hehehe. the women may hate ya , but the men will love ya for it. hehehhee.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
9f9c7z said:
9 - Good post. What's with the green chiclet error? I tried to give you one, and you're an "unknown quantity" when clicking on the legal scale. WTFIUWT? Anyhow, here's your green chiclet. :D

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
9f9c7z said:
Best to make ‘em ugly on purpose if there is a woman around.
.....hahaha....haha....etc....shiny black latex and a four inch brush....you laugh?, it worked on my Pinto....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis