Newbie trying to find optimal placement for TT, amp, speakers (w/ pics)

L

Lumumba

Audiophyte
Hello AVS,

I'm looking for advice on how to place my new setup (currently in the mail) at my place. Here are some pictures of the room for reference. with a few sketches I put in:

Audio Setup - Imgur

my setup:

-project debut carbon
-NAD C 316BEE w/ Pro-Ject Phono Box MM
-Warfendale 10.1

my concerns are:

-- my dogs: they fight and prevent me from having nice things. I want to minimize their collateral damage on my audio gear
-- sound image: I want it to be as good as it can be for the room, which I believe is a tricky setup
---- the nook seems an odd place to put the speakers due to possible reverberations of the side and back walls, but it seems like the best position for the direction I want the sound to travel through the house.

-- the vibrations on the wall that might effect the turn table or receiver (which might sit on a table mounted to the wall).
-- I want to have as much of this DIY as I can, I already blew my budget on gear.

Any feedback is helpful, thank you.

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
That speaker placement is going to cause some problems. The 10.1s are rear-ported and need some breathing room away from hard, reflective surfaces. Additionally, at that height, I just don't see how you're going to create a pleasant soundfield. I assume this placement plan is due to the threat of the doggies knocking over stand-mounted? Any way to get the speakers further out into the room?

L

Lumumba

Audiophyte
That speaker placement is going to cause some problems. The 10.1s are rear-ported and need some breathing room away from hard, reflective surfaces. Additionally, at that height, I just don't see how you're going to create a pleasant soundfield. I assume this placement plan is due to the threat of the doggies knocking over stand-mounted? Any way to get the speakers further out into the room?
Thank you for the reply, I am definitely open to suggestions, maybe move the speakers to a different location in the room? What do you think of mounting them on the wall opposite the couch? Is there some other pay maybe to pet-friendly the setup without making them so high?

Thank you for the feedback

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Right speaker where you keep your mail next to the front door, and left under that weird art next to the archway where you have a roll of paper towels. I think your amp and turntable location is a little aesthetically unusual maybe, but nothing to complain about technically as far as I can tell.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
I'd suggest that wall across from the couch to consolidate all the gear. Build or find some shelves that will get those speakers at least a foot away from the surface and position them only as high as you seem safe from the pups and try for close to six feet apart. Amp and turntable your call.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Chair in the nook, sofa along the banister. Hang the 10.1s in corners of the wall where the sofa is now. Use plant hangers, nets, chain, small cables or whatever to hang them from the ceiling. Gear could be placed in a cabinet/tower to keep the pooches from getting to it or hung on the wall either side of window much like you were planning before. Wires and cables could be run along top of wall under crown moulding and brought down in corners behind trim boards or in plastic wire channels.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Since you're not going to get rid of the pooch, I would place the speakers on either side of the bay window, as far apart as possible. I would look into front baffle ported speakers too, since they're mounted on the wall. How are you planning on getting the speaker wires to the amp/receiver? Are you able to fish the speaker wires & the other inter-connects?

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
Troll? How sad.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Wow... 2 Spambots in one thread...

Is that a record...?
reporting the spam posts are sufficient, quoting or commenting about the spam just adds one more post that the mods have to delete. (and other people thinking there's new content in this thread)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis