Newbie looking for speaker help

P

Pologuy9906

Audiophyte
I came back from best buy and listened to the sonance 62. They are roughly $400 for the pair. They also tried selling me audioquest wire. I read another post on this site where people have GREAT success using less expensive brands. I came across monoprice and saw in ceiling rectangular speakers. I plan on adding ceiling speakers to 8 rooms. 2 of those rooms are bathrooms. I'm adding a home theater systemt o the basement. So here is my questions:
1. Recommendations for speaker wire.
2. Recommendations for speakers.
3. Home automationi s mandatory and control4 is something I need to hire out. Looking for a system I can install myself.

Thanks for all your assistance in advance!

N

nfafan

Audioholic Intern
A number of sources on Amazon sell the UL-listed in-wall speaker wire in 2 - 4 wire configs in bulk roll packs.
I used 2-wire 16G for my exposed "around the room" runs as the white insulation over the pair caused it to "disappeared" better along the baseboard.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Why would you want speakers in the ceilings of virtually your whole house? That seems to be more of a public address/Muzak system than anything else.

Just curious. Seems a lot of work and money for a confusing result.

J

Jarew

Audiophyte
a good mini speaker which can be carried around? Any idea?/

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You should start by clearly laying out what your situation is and what your goal might be.

From the sound of it (no pun intended), you could get what you need with a Bluetooth speaker such as KEF Muo, Bose Soundlink, etc.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I plan on adding ceiling speakers to 8 rooms. 2 of those rooms are bathrooms. I'm adding a home theater systemt o the basement.
Tell us, how high a priority is sound quality? I mean, are you an audiophile? Do you want to sit back, with your eyes closed, and enjoy subtle nuances of the music in every room? Or do you simply want background music available?

How about your home theater? If somebody you don't like comes over to watch San Andreas, do you want to be able to rupture their spleen w/ giant booms and crashes? Or will you mainly use it to watch The View and Jerry Springer?

What is your total budget? If you had to prioritize, which rooms/systems would top your list?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I plan on adding ceiling speakers to 8 rooms. 2 of those rooms are bathrooms.
This would be great for background music in a medical suite but not for home use.
3. Home automationi s mandatory and control4 is something I need to hire out. Looking for a system I can install myself.
That sounds great in theory but in reality, not so much. There's a reason pros get the money they do. Theoretically, one could do root canals with a Black and Decker 3/8" drive and some small drill bits, but I'd rather leave that to a pro.

Jay aLBERS

Jay aLBERS

Junior Audioholic
My solution for whole house sound is an Apple Airport Express in the rooms without a TV monitor, and Apple tv in the rooms with a monitor. I use Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s in the rooms that don't have a dedicated system. Then I control the whole mess with a smart phone app , Remote for I tunes, that lets me set volumes in individual rooms. Then if I want to get fancy I can open I tunes more than once and play different songs in different rooms. The thing was painless to set up. Sounds better than most in ceiling set ups, and my wife likes the fact that if she rearranges the furniture she can just move the speakers, and plug it back in. Just make sure you have a robust router so you don't have any holes in the wi fi. Why spent the time effort and money tearing your home apart to run wires? Just say'n...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis