Newbie Here Need Input on my Selection of Amp and Speakers

msebar

msebar

Enthusiast
I have a room 25 long and 16 wide. Here is what I put together in the last week of research. Please give me your input good or bad. I only have room for bookshelfs and about a $2500 budget which Iam over by a bit now
Thanks Mike

Yamaha RX-A1020
Klipsch SW-112 Subwoofer
Definitive Technology Mythos Seven 7 Center
4 Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would change the sub. If you only have room for one sub, go for the Hsu VTF2 mk4, its the same price as the SW-112, even after shipping, and it will be a lot better. If you have room for two subs, go for dual Klipsch RW-12d subs, they are $270 each when you enter the promo code at newegg. As for Deftech, they wouldn't be my first choice at that price, but if they sound good to you, go for them. I think you would get more bang for your buck with Ascend CBM170s, Hsu HB-1s, or HTD Level Threes. AT $600 a pair I would be looking into NHT Classic Twos or KEF Q300s.

msebar

msebar

Enthusiast
I only have room for one sub. The kefs really look nice. Thanks for your input. If someone else has suggestions please dont hesitate. Iam looking for all your input

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
Since you have def tech already, center and surrounds. (good choice IMO) I would go with DefTech. BP8060ST or BP8040ST for your fronts. I know you mentioned your looking for bookshelf but if these tower will fit almost any application. As for an Amp. I like the Emotiva XPA-3, or to save space the Outlaw 2200 Momoblocks amps.

msebar

msebar

Enthusiast
With all the suggestion how do I select without hearing them. I live in South Florida and the store out here are lame. Best-buy, Brands-mart all have issues with their audio rooms. I thought I was lucky to have a Sound Advice near me but wrong again. They only had 3 types that are bookshelf. Does anyone have any suggestions I don't want to buy blind as the ear is the final decision.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
OK, by saying you will only buy what you hear first, that limits your options greatly.

What speakers have you heard, or can arrange to hear. We'll offer our "opinion" on what we like best.

While listening first is a great idea in theory, you limit yourself from some great internet only speakers, particularly subwoofers, and some very fine speakers that might not have a dealer local to you. That's a pity since Saturday Audio currently has some great deals on PSB speakers and Audio Advisor always has good deals on fine speakers available.

...just sayin'

[edit] I see you're getting good advice at Audioreview too.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Order some internet direct speakers that will give you full refunds for returns within 30 days. You will lose money on shipping, but you will get to hear them in your home which is the best audition anyway.

msebar

msebar

Enthusiast
Update
I decided to go with the Yamaha 1020 for the main unit
I still haven't settled on the rest but I have a few more question I hope everyone will help with.

For the sub I need know if the Outlaw LFM-1 PLUS would handle a large room, or do Ineed to upgrade to the LFM-1 EX. ( 26x 16 that also leads into the livingroom.

For the speakers should the front backs and center be from the same manufacturer?

When selecting the backs should I select the same as the front or should I select something less expensive

Everyones info has been great Thank You all very much

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Update
I decided to go with the Yamaha 1020 for the main unit
I still haven't settled on the rest but I have a few more question I hope everyone will help with.

For the sub I need know if the Outlaw LFM-1 PLUS would handle a large room, or do Ineed to upgrade to the LFM-1 EX. ( 26x 16 that also leads into the livingroom.

For the speakers should the front backs and center be from the same manufacturer?

When selecting the backs should I select the same as the front or should I select something less expensive

Everyones info has been great Thank You all very much
If I were you and just starting out I would try to get the best bank for your buck and having no buyer's remorse. You almost have to buy ID to get good quality on the least outlay of cash.
Mains and center

CMT-340 SE Mini-Tower Loudspeaker

CMT-340 SEC High Performance Center Channel Speaker
If you can afford these sides get them, if not these will do just fine.

CBM-170 SE High Performance Bookshelf Loudspeaker
HTM-200 SE Home Theater Monitor

All of these speakers are on sale right now plus you would get a package deal on top of the discounted prices.
The sub in my opinion to beat is this one.
POWER SOUND AUDIO — XV15
This with your Yamaha AVR which can drive the Ascend speakers with ease, you should be in the price range you suggested.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Jeff

msebar

msebar

Enthusiast
I was going to go with the klipish 12d a pair but the reviews I read they have a poor music side. I really wanted to stay at the 500. Range on the sub.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Right now the Hsu VTF2 is less than $600 shipped, it will be about as powerful as the LFM-1 Plus.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis