Newbie Help with new AVR

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I would go with what Z suggested. You can always get the sub later, I did. Those Super Zero are a bargain.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
OK. As I research speakers I realize it am completely lost The HK bookshelf speakers and rear surround have never suited me. I am very willing to do what it takes to get L R and Center speakers that may help me with dialogue on the movies and tv I'm watching. The superhero seem ok. Are they big enough?

Will the HK sub I've pictured work for a while? I'd rather spend 700 to 1000 on 3 fronts now and upgrade the sub and rear later.

Thanks for your patience.

BTW, I see lots of used 10 year old or so nht speakers on eBay. Are they a bargain or a mistake.
And towers are OK TOO

Bill gates changed super zero to super hero. LOL
NHT is a good brand - however, you can get by without towers in that room - your call. If you like
your sub, it can hold you for awhile.

Think about the SuperZero's for surrounds - and something like the AbsoluteZero series, for the front 3 -
if you can fit their center under your TV, the Absolute Center is 6.25" high - how much space do you have?

A sub to think about - SVS PB1000
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000#.Ukd1JoYskYM

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Crh97

Enthusiast
I tried and think I posted this on the Yamaha 720 owner's page. However, it has gone up into forum heaven? Newbies get into these forums and steal ideas from you experts and by the time they figure out how to navigate the forum, their problems are solved. As a guy who lives in a small midwest town 2 1/2 hours from any city, these forums make my life so much easier. Thanks to all you guys who monitor and post.

Anyway, I've got a Panasonic 55" plasma with hdmi arc. It's a year old.

I'm going to set up :
Direct TV
Blue Ray
CD player
Wii

I use the smart TV to watch a lot of Netflix

So, I have 2 questions (LOL right now) How does hdmi arc work? Will I no longer have any need for the optical out cable from the TV to the new receiver?

And, somewhere I read that setting up my WII was an issue with this receiver because it didn't support 480 dpi (but I can't find this post again so I may have dreamed that.)
Thanks again for the help. As a retired furniture and Maytag dealer, if I can help you guys with a question about your LaZBoy or why your whites are gray, send me a PM

C

Crh97

Enthusiast
And, as to the speakers, the vast majority of my family listening will be to movies and TV. My wife is a gamer but would be happy with the audio coming out of a Philco radio. My hearing is seriously challenged and I can't stress enough how important it is to me to drag out the dialogue from the background noise. I've pretty well decided I will keep my rear speakers and sub for the now and hope to really improve on my front 3..

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So, I have 2 questions (LOL right now) How does hdmi arc work? Will I no longer have any need for the optical out cable from the TV to the new receiver?

And, somewhere I read that setting up my WII was an issue with this receiver because it didn't support 480 dpi (but I can't find this post again so I may have dreamed that.)
Thanks again for the help. As a retired furniture and Maytag dealer, if I can help you guys with a question about your LaZBoy or why your whites are gray, send me a PM
No need for optical cable
http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterglossary/g/Audio-Return-Channel-Arc.htm

You can download the manual from Crutchfield > Click on download manual from the pop-up box
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VqBFVbXyhzN/p_022RXA720/Yamaha-RX-A720.html#details-tab

Last edited:
C

Crh97

Enthusiast
I've had the new AVR for 5 days now. I love it. In fact, I don't think I'm going to buy new speakers. I guess my old HK was in worse shape than I realized.

Set up was not that difficult. It took a couple of tries to get the ARC to work but I was probably pushing the wrong buttons. I don't completely understand the "straight" programming. I am still struggling with the right preset to use for most TV.

My source is a HD Direct TV system. Right now, I'm listening in Movie Theatre Drama and it sounds good. Some of you guys who have this setup, what are you using for your nowmal programming?

C

Crh97

Enthusiast
BTW, did I dream that there is a Yamaha 720 owner's page? Can somebody send me a link or wake me up?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis