Newbie Help with new AVR

C

Crh97

Enthusiast
I currently have a HK AVR247. It's been pretty good to me but has started to cause the speakers to hiss when it heats up. I think it's time to replace.

I'm 64 years old and listened to too much loud music in my past. My needs for quality sound increases every day.

I would like to find a system that will drive multi room speakers that are already installed. I am happy with cloning zone 1 to the other zone.

I've read a pretty positive review on a sony AVR on this site. My worries on the sony is that I will have to hire an engineer to change the channels. (Old memories)

I'm driving HK speakers which may need changing too?

Air play is important. I am hard wiring Ethernet so wifi isn't necessary.

Can some of you guys give me a suggestion?

Also, other than a fan in my built in cabinet, I have no way to overcome heat issues. Should I cut some vent hooked?

C

Crh97

Enthusiast
I amazed at the features for the price. I don't think it will lee do2 zones? That may not be a deslbreaker

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think it does. But airplay/Pre-out(2.1) at that price is the cheapest I've seen.

C

Crh97

Enthusiast
The yamaha 673 looks good to me for $400. Do any of you guys have first hand on this one? As to budget, I don't want to go over $600 or so

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
It is but the Elite is better all around. For the same price I'd go for the Elite A720. Never heard it myself, but members who own them here love the Elites aND are highly praised.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Accessories4less is a very well respected place to deal with. Many of us here have. I myself have purchased at least three refurbs within the past ten years that I can remember. What I do remember is never having had a problem with anything I've ever purchased from them.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Accessories4less is a very well respected place to deal with. Many of us here have. I myself have purchased at least three refurbs within the past ten years that I can remember. What I do remember is never having had a problem with anything I've ever purchased from them.
Me too and never a problem. It's new and no scratches, dents or anything, so no worries. If you still have worries you can always get the extended warranty from them.

C

Crh97

Enthusiast
At $579 I probably will order a new one from Amazon.

Will this play my WII? I read somewhere that the hdmi wouldn't support the component in plugs?

C

Crh97

Enthusiast
Maybe I should rethink the refurb. Bad memories. I will also look into the extended warranty. However at $400 it looks like a steal

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If I were you I'd get the refurb with warranty (trust us) and get some nice speaker wires and accessories from monoprice store and give the rest to charity. :D

C

Crh97

Enthusiast
I probably should redo my 3 front speakers at least. Any suggestions?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
C

Crh97

Enthusiast

OK. As I research speakers I realize it am completely lost The HK bookshelf speakers and rear surround have never suited me. I am very willing to do what it takes to get L R and Center speakers that may help me with dialogue on the movies and tv I'm watching. The superhero seem ok. Are they big enough?

Will the HK sub I've pictured work for a while? I'd rather spend 700 to 1000 on 3 fronts now and upgrade the sub and rear later.

Thanks for your patience.

BTW, I see lots of used 10 year old or so nht speakers on eBay. Are they a bargain or a mistake.

And towers are OK TOO

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis