Newbe to home audio...Any suggestions on Integra 8.9 setup?

K

kiwanoron

Audiophyte
Newbe to home audio...Any suggestions on Integra 8.9 setup?

I have an Integra 8.9 receiver. Paradigm Studio 60's v.5(thank you all for your suggestions) and a cc-590 v.4(planing on buying a cc-690 v.5 in the next two months). I have two Monster THX SL200-SW Subs, I paid $600 for both of them with a 5 year warranty, I know they are not the best but could not pass on the deal. I have to wait two weeks for the rear ADP speakers. I am planing on running a 5.1 system.

Here is where I could use some help:

-The integra has an option for bridging the front channel - is this a good idea?
-I also read about bi-amping the front speakers? - Not sure what is the best way to go since this is my first home system what is not a HT in a box!

- For the Subs I ran the Sub preout to one sub then out of that sub into the other(as it said in the directions)

In the Integra setup for the speaker configuration what should I set the settings at for the
-Front Speakers(paradigm Studio 60's V.5)
-Center(Paradigm cc-590 v.4)
-Sub -LPF of LFE (2 Monster THX SL200-SW Subs)
-Rears (Paradigm ADP not sure what one, most likly studio)

If you have any other suggestions Please let me know.

THANKS ~ RON

J

jamie2112

Banned
No need to bi-amp it makes no difference . Set all your speakers to small don't bridge anything and enjoy your 5.1 setup.....:D

K

kiwanoron

Audiophyte
Jamie, it does not give me the option for small? For example,

Front - full, 60hz, 70hz, 80hz, 90hz etc. The same for sub, center and rears...Not sure what to set them at?

I was thinking 70 for the fronts, 80 for the sub, 80 or 90 for the center and 100 for the rears??? Any help would be GREAT!

K

kiwanoron

Audiophyte
For Integra setup for the speaker configuration what should I set the crossover settings at for the speakers, all 80 Hz? Do I set this first or run the Audyssey first, will it set the crossover points for me? I have never done this so not sure where to begin?

-Front Speakers(paradigm Studio 60's V.5) Crossover?
-Center(Paradigm cc-590 v.4) Crossover?
-Sub -LPF of LFE (2 Monster THX SL200-SW Subs) Crossover?
-Rears (Paradigm ADP not sure what one, most likely studio) Crossover?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

Front - full, 60hz, 70hz, 80hz, 90hz etc. The same for sub, center and rears...Not sure what to set them at?
Anything outside of full, such as 60, 90, already implies "small".

I was thinking 70 for the fronts, 80 for the sub, 80 or 90 for the center and 100 for the rears??? Any help would be GREAT!
Sounds reasonable. I probably would set everything at 80hz, and perhaps 60hz for the mains, after trying both.

For Integra setup for the speaker configuration what should I set the crossover settings at for the speakers, all 80 Hz? Do I set this first or run the Audyssey first, will it set the crossover points for me? I have never done this so not sure where to begin?
This is a tad complicated, because different manufacturers will implement the Audyssey tech a little differently. Onkyo/Integra will essentially tell you that your speaker is Large if they find the roll-off to be below 80hz. So, you will most likely see that your center and mains to be set to large after calibration; simply apply xover points after calibration, such as 80hz, 60hz, etc.

-Front Speakers(paradigm Studio 60's V.5) Crossover?
-Center(Paradigm cc-590 v.4) Crossover?
-Sub -LPF of LFE (2 Monster THX SL200-SW Subs) Crossover?
-Rears (Paradigm ADP not sure what one, most likely studio) Crossover?
The one thing about Audyssey calibration for tiny speakers (and I'm not saying your rears are) is that it will only calibrate down to the point where it finds the roll-off. For example, if you had a Bose cube, it might find the cutoff as high as 250hz! And in such case, it will do ZERO calibration under 250hz. That's really just FYI stuff, because I'm sure your Paradigms should handle 80hz xover just fine.

Hope that clarifies some things.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Put in a CD that you love. Make sure it has good quality. Put it at the volume you like to listen at.
Then manually adjust the crossover until you get the best sound to your ears.

Walla. You just set your crossover properly.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The sub should match whatever is the highest that you have set for any given speaker. I'd personally try them all at the lowest you can set them to and adjust up until you get them dialed in. The 60s should have no problem handling a 60Hz x-over. The 590 might be OK with it, but dialog may or may not be better with it set higher. Any of the ADP surrounds should have no problem with 80Hz.

Walla = not a word :D Voila.

Last edited:
B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
IF you keep the amp set at 80 of below you will keep the lower voices out if your sub. If like most your sub is set off center when a vocal comes into the program you don't want your attention drawn to the sub. Even 80 is a bit high but it is what THX wants. I prefer 50 or 60 if your front speakers can handle the rest of the lows. JMO

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis