New Vintage reciever question

S

snowhiteboiler

Audiophyte
I apologize if this should go someplace else, I looked for a vintage section but didn't see it.

I brought an Onkyo TX 4500 MKII home from my dad's house this weekend and had a few questions. (I already downloaded the manuals online, too).

It is in great condition and worked the last time he used it ~5 years ago and it was stored in a dry basement.

My questions:
1) Is there anything I should do before plugging it in? There is hardly any surface dust (and just a little inside that I can see through the exahust louvers)

2) This might be sacrilige but I was wondering if I could hook up my ipod to it through the tape 'play' connections - they look like rca connections, are they?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sean

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I apologize if this should go someplace else, I looked for a vintage section but didn't see it.

I brought an Onkyo TX 4500 MKII home from my dad's house this weekend and had a few questions. (I already downloaded the manuals online, too).

It is in great condition and worked the last time he used it ~5 years ago and it was stored in a dry basement.

My questions:
1) Is there anything I should do before plugging it in? There is hardly any surface dust (and just a little inside that I can see through the exahust louvers)

2) This might be sacrilige but I was wondering if I could hook up my ipod to it through the tape 'play' connections - they look like rca connections, are they?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sean
Sean,
Welcome to AH forum.
I don't claim to be an expert but what I'd check is open the top cover and inspect for dry/blown capacitors
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=bad+capacitors&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=7WhmTonJO8TI0AGQ_tGnCg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBsQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=923

All the knobs probably could use contact cleaner:
http://www.ehow.com/video_2369817_cleaning-knobs-vintage-audio-equipment.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis