New to the forum, beginning search for new sub.

S

snogger_T11

Audiophyte
Hello all. I've begun my search for a new sub for my home theater setup, and this seems to be one of the better forums for getting advice. I recently moved into a new house and my old sub (DCM SW10) won't cut it at all anymore. My living room that I'm setup in is 16X20X8' with 4 openings (kitchen, dining room, hallway, foyer) and the corner next to where the TV is setup has a fireplace that is 6' across. I would say my uses are 60/40 movies and games to music, so I'm looking for a sub that can handle movies and music well. My budget is pretty flexible since I could spend up to $1200 if I really needed to, but I would rather keep it in the $500-800 range. I know that you can never have too much head room, but I'll be in this house at least for 3-5 years, so I just need something that will work well in that room. Oh, I'm single, so I don't have to worry about a spouse complaining about what I get.

I've done a decent amount of research already, so I'm familiar with Hsu, SVS, Epik, Rythmik, etc., but I really have no clue what would be fitting for my particular setup. I was initially leaning heavily towards the Epik Legend, but after emailing them to ask some questions about it and never getting a response (on top of reading several people having their subs fail and not being able to contact Epik), I would say they are not an option for me. So, where do I start?

Just to note, if needed, I can make a floor plan of my living room with exact measurements.

edit - I should note that I borrowed a friends Paradigm DSP-3200 for a few weeks and it worked pretty well in my room, but seemed to struggle with the lower end (though we didn't spend a lot of time setting it up).

Matt34

Matt34

There are a lot of options in the price range and you will get a lot of different opinions but I would suggest sticking with a ported sub for your application.

Here's my recommendations after going through more than a handful of subs over the years. These recommendations figure in QC, customer service and performance. I also highly recommended multiply subs if and when possible.

SVS PB-12nsd $769 shipped.

HSU VTF 3 MK4 $659 (on sale) plus $99 shipping

Outlaw LFM-1 EX $649 plus shipping.
R
I would generally reccomend the Rythmik Audio FV12 but it is currently out of stock.

Last sub is a DIY kit from Creative Sound Solutions. You just build the enclosure. $409 plus $45 shipping

The below is what I would consider a tier down in performance but still better than most available at your local Best Buy.

PA-150 $425

Cadence Sound CSX15 MK II $499

S

snogger_T11

Audiophyte
All of the subs you listed will perform well with movies and music? Just curious since a friend of mine has the SVS PB-12nsd and when we played music on it, it sounded like it wasn't even on (but was huge during movies). Maybe he just doesn't have it set up correctly?

So do you not think it would be worth spending the extra money for something like the F12G, or would it not be as flexible for movies/music?

Matt34

Matt34

All of the subs you listed will perform well with movies and music? Just curious since a friend of mine has the SVS PB-12nsd and when we played music on it, it sounded like it wasn't even on (but was huge during movies). Maybe he just doesn't have it set up correctly?

So do you not think it would be worth spending the extra money for something like the F12G, or would it not be as flexible for movies/music?
The sealed F12G probably isn't going to have the output necessary in a open room like yours.

The SVS uses a quality driver and amp (as does all the top five subs I recommended) and measures very good. I would suspect it was a setup/placement issue.

S

snogger_T11

Audiophyte
Is there any word on when the FV12 will be back in stock? Performance wise, is there much difference between the SVS and the Hsu you recommended? Would there be enough benefit to spend the extra money to go up to something like the FV15 Direct Servo subwoofer or the VTF-15H?

edit: I should also throw out there that my friend has the PC12-NSD and not the PB, not sure how much difference that makes.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I believe that Matt34 still has 2 VTF-15H subs that he's selling...

I own a VTF-15H & I absolutely love it! I too have owned a few subs in the last few years...sealed, ported & passive radiator from B&W, Martin Logan, EarthQuake & more. The day after I hooked up my VTF-15H, I came home from work & my wife was cleaning the house while listening to Rhapsody. First thing she said when I got home was, "Your new sub sounds really good with music!".....I almost cried :)... Hahaha!!!!

HSU has a good rep for having musical subs. Both the VTF-3 MK4 or the VTF-15H will have the b@lls for movies & accuracy for music. But again, placement & setup are paramount in how good they sound from where you sit. The difference between the VTF-3 & 15h is just a few dBs in every frequency & more headroom-with the 15H on top.

I'm sure the PC-12 NSD your friend has just isnt placed or setup correctly because those are no slouches by any means!

Stick with either HSU, SVS, Rythmik or Outlaw! Good thing you don't have to worry about the WAF because these subs are not compact :)

S

snogger_T11

Audiophyte
It's looking like the VTF-3 MK4 or the VTF-15H seems to be the way to go, but if there is only a small difference between the VTF-15H and the VTF-3...can't really see any reason to go with the 15H. My room isn't that huge or anything (only 2560 ft^3), so I suppose I'm leaning toward the 3 MK4 right now. If I get the time at work tomorrow, I'm going to draw out my floor plan with furniture placement so you all can see exactly what I'm working with and maybe give a few pointers on the best placement for a sub.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There isn't a small difference between the VTF3 and VTF15h, I think Hsu has said something like the VTF15h has twice the output of a VTF3. I would call up Hsu and ask them about it. The VTF3 is a great sub though, I think it is tuned lower than the VTF15h, but I think either should make you happy.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
Hello all. I've begun my search for a new sub for my home theater setup, and this seems to be one of the better forums for getting advice. I recently moved into a new house and my old sub (DCM SW10) won't cut it at all anymore. My living room that I'm setup in is 16X20X8' with 4 openings (kitchen, dining room, hallway, foyer) and the corner next to where the TV is setup has a fireplace that is 6' across. I would say my uses are 60/40 movies and games to music, so I'm looking for a sub that can handle movies and music well. My budget is pretty flexible since I could spend up to $1200 if I really needed to, but I would rather keep it in the $500-800 range. I know that you can never have too much head room, but I'll be in this house at least for 3-5 years, so I just need something that will work well in that room. Oh, I'm single, so I don't have to worry about a spouse complaining about what I get.

I've done a decent amount of research already, so I'm familiar with Hsu, SVS, Epik, Rythmik, etc., but I really have no clue what would be fitting for my particular setup. I was initially leaning heavily towards the Epik Legend, but after emailing them to ask some questions about it and never getting a response (on top of reading several people having their subs fail and not being able to contact Epik), I would say they are not an option for me. So, where do I start?

Just to note, if needed, I can make a floor plan of my living room with exact measurements.

edit - I should note that I borrowed a friends Paradigm DSP-3200 for a few weeks and it worked pretty well in my room, but seemed to struggle with the lower end (though we didn't spend a lot of time setting it up).

I would look at the Emotiva 12" right now,they are 15% off two withy free shipping,and these are excellent subs IMO,
X-Ref 12 DSP Powered Subwoofer | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monob
Speakers | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifiers, as we
I have two of their ultra 12's and totally love them,IMO 2 or 4 of the same sub is the only way to go.

two of the X-Ref 12" subs would cost you $1190.00 incl shipping/tax

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Is there any word on when the FV12 will be back in stock?
The FV12 is being redesigned, and from what I understand it will be a while until the new model is available. Given your circumstances and budget there are other options available, some of which have already been mentioned.

One other sub you might want to consider is the CHT SS18.1. It should be able to provide just about anything you need.

Matt34

Matt34

It's looking like the VTF-3 MK4 or the VTF-15H seems to be the way to go, but if there is only a small difference between the VTF-15H and the VTF-3...can't really see any reason to go with the 15H. My room isn't that huge or anything (only 2560 ft^3), so I suppose I'm leaning toward the 3 MK4 right now. If I get the time at work tomorrow, I'm going to draw out my floor plan with furniture placement so you all can see exactly what I'm working with and maybe give a few pointers on the best placement for a sub.
There is a significant difference in output between the two but the 15H is also a much larger sub which will be harder to place in most rooms.

D

dgkirkman

Enthusiast
just buy a velodyne...u wont b disappointed for all around clearity..n durability..u get what u pay 4

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
just buy a velodyne...u wont b disappointed for all around clearity..n durability..u get what u pay 4
i've had two DLS-5000R's and one DD18

i'm guessing you haven't heard the subs in the OP. you owe it to yourself to hear them.

lightyears. ahead.

D

dgkirkman

Enthusiast
i've had two DLS-5000R's and one DD18

i'm guessing you haven't heard the subs in the OP. you owe it to yourself to hear them.

lightyears. ahead.
yur probly rite i should give them a listen , i dont want 2 b narrow minded here,im always in search for "the bass" like all of us but we all know its all about placement n setup to get any sub to perform. im completely happy with the wow factor in my setup now(3215cf) room.but i must say if u had 2 5000R's & a dd18 runnin at the same time u musta had alot of broken windows goin on thats 4sur. as it is i have my 2 fsr's set at 2 n my 5000 set at 35 n my living room window osolates rite around 1" kinda scary when the couch is near it..dont need another broken window

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yur probly rite i should give them a listen , i dont want 2 b narrow minded here,im always in search for "the bass" like all of us but we all know its all about placement n setup to get any sub to perform. im completely happy with the wow factor in my setup now(3215cf) room.but i must say if u had 2 5000R's & a dd18 runnin at the same time u musta had alot of broken windows goin on thats 4sur. as it is i have my 2 fsr's set at 2 n my 5000 set at 35 n my living room window osolates rite around 1" kinda scary when the couch is near it..dont need another broken window
not really. i would take a PB10NSD over a DLS-5000R.
:D

i've had these as well:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/44397-subwoofer-opinions-mike-c.html

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I believe that Mike's response to the comment to buy Velodyne was not to back it up but instead he was saying to look towards HSU, SVS, Rythmik etc because THOSE subs are light years ahead of the Velodyne's he's owned...correct me if I'm wrong Mike but that is how I read your post but some read it opposite!!

Price per performance is not on Velodynes side. The ID brands seem to have that in spades!! If I were in the market for a new sub I would first be considering DIY & if that didn't pan out then the typical ID brands would be next on my list!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis