New to the audio scene....well kinda

C

Cryous

Audiophyte
Hey guys,
I have a pair of Boston HD9 speakers from about 15 years ago. I got them from my dad. I also currently have an onkyo TX-SV444 i bought off my friend for 60$
I have stands for the speakers stands are about 2 ft high, speakers are about 2 1/2 feet tall.

I want to know if this is a good setup, I'm also thinking about adding another 2 speakers to the system. Should i also add a standalone base? The HD9's have ok base in them. what do yall think? I also use the speakers for movies, gaming, music and other stuff

the dimensions for the room is 11x11 or 12x12.
Thanks,

Cryous

G

gpost3

Banned
First define your goals in an objective fashion.

Should i also add a standalone base?
We can't decide that for you. Can you be a little bit more objective? For example, do you want bass that extends down to 30 Hz for games and movies? Then yes you should get a subwoofer.

what do yall think?
You should never ask what "we" think because we all here have different musical tastes and most of us respect that diversity. You will get as many different answers to your question as the number of people posting. As I said earlier, define your objective, get some details (body), then decide (conclusion). Those types of questions usually end up having no conclusion which IMHO is fruitless:D.

As for your specific setup. Those Bostons are three way with a reasonable woofer - you should have plenty of bass (as you said already). And since the entire setup cost you $60 - why not try it out for yourself - hear it and tell us what you think of it instead of the other way around.

Last edited:
C

Cryous

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice.

I feel like i could use another base, i used to have a passive sub but the onkyo TX-SV444 i have requires a powered sub and powered subs sound better right?

Goals:
-Best quality sound i can get for about 200-300$ more invested into my system, its for my bedroom.
-Good quality base for around 70-100 dollars
-Good blend between Movie Sound and Music sound ( idk if i said that right lol)
-Be able to produce Rock, Punk, and Metal music well

Uses for room:
-Room is an 12x12 bedroom
-I listen to mainly Rock, Punk, Metal
-Also use the system for gaming, on my xbox 360
-Watch Movies sometimes

Thanks!

-Cryous

G

gpost3

Banned
That's better.

powered subs sound better right?
The only difference between active and passive subwoofer is that active sub has it's own AMP and Crossover built in whereas passive sub relies on your AMP and Crossover. Theoretically, it isn't the question about whether active subs are better than passive sub but instead the overall construction quality of the subwoofer itself, the AMP and the Crossover being used.

Your Boston should take care of Rock/Punk/Metal. You have a supertweeter which will help with the types of notes played on those songs. 12x12 isn't very big space so as for the bass - an 8 inch would suffice. I have heard good things about STF-1 by HSU Research which runs for about $299.99 and has 8 inch driver.

C

Cryous

Audiophyte
we have a store in town that has a few STF-1's in stock, think il pop in there on monday and see if i can get a demo

I'm really new to higher quality systems, so i don't know too much about them. Is there a specific site/place that you can learn all this without asking a bazillion questions?

Last edited:
G

gpost3

Banned
Not sure if there is a "specific" site where you can learn all about high end audio equipments. But if you want to learn how audio gear works, then there are plenty of resources (such as your local library, howstuffworks.com). But I am not sure what approach you want to/have time to take. If you want to go a bit deeper in understanding, then start by understanding basics of audio equipment like DAC, AMP and Crossovers. That should cover most of what you need to know about the sciences behind those things and it will also help you become more aware of the gimicks in "high end audio" market.

Last edited:
C

Cryous

Audiophyte
i have a ton of time to learn, in between school years right now

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis