New to a Denon AVR-3310CI - cant figure out inouts

J

Jerryshenk

Audiophyte
I recently moved to a house that has a Denon AVR-3310CI surround receiver. I can't figure out how to get any of the inputs working except for the input on the front that is connected to a Senos.

I have a few devices that I've tried to connect using RCA connectors and/or HDMI. For example, I have a newer laptop with and HDMI port so, I thought I could connect that to HDMI 1 on the back and then select DVD which seems to be mapped to that port...no luck. I also tried using the headphones jack on the laptop, and RCA adapter and both the audio ports for the DVD and the audio ports for the CD (port 3). No luck and I've tried studying the manual and I'm just not getting anywhere.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A good first step would be to run a factory/microprocessor reset. There could be a reason it was left behind....

J

Jerryshenk

Audiophyte
I thought about a factory reset. There are a couple speakers in the main setup and 6 different areas in zone B. I'm afraid I'm gonna lose something and make it worse than it is. Is there any way to back the configuration up to USB or something first? I couldn't find an option for that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought about a factory reset. There are a couple speakers in the main setup and 6 different areas in zone B. I'm afraid I'm gonna lose something and make it worse than it is. Is there any way to back the configuration up to USB or something first? I couldn't find an option for that.
Factory reset more would change things like an Audyssey setup or other particular setup tweaks rather than basic speaker setup, altho you might note amp assignment before doing anything. Don't believe any of the Denons of that time could save configurations, that came later.

Curious about that 6 different areas/zone b setup, tho.

J

Jerryshenk

Audiophyte
Zone b goes into 6 different rooms and some kind of a switch that has 4 additional zones. There are also 4 speakers in a courtyard that has another amplifier. There are a ton of cables and some of them aren't connected to anything so I'm just trying to figure things are hooked up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Inheriting whole home systems can be a big guessing game. Zone b goes into some sort of separate amp/distribution system or just with local controllers or ? Not really my forte but some on here can advise more if there are more details about particular gear/connections involved. Whether the avr is working correctly or not I'd just ignore the zone issues for now and get it to work as expected in the main zone first....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You'll want to download the owner's manual:
http://assets.denon.com/DocumentMaster/us/AVR3310CIEC_IM_006A.pdf

I have the 2310ci which should be similar. These AVRs have assignable inputs so you need to go into the input settings (page 45 + 46) and check the assignments. For example, next to DVD you can choose which HDMI port to assign to the DVD (column 1) or use COAX for digital audio (column 2) and COMP for component video (column 3). You may want to note how the HDMI ports are labelled on the back of the AVR and try and use the matching device on that port. That way the Quick options on the remote match better.

J

Jerryshenk

Audiophyte
Thanks all...I have the manual and
20231211_154305.jpg
it seems like the inputs make sense. For example, DVD shows H=HDMI1/D=Coax=1 but if I connect my laptops HDMI port or the headphone port, I don't get anything.

Another oddity/feature - when playing panoramic through the Senos, the advertisements don't play through the main speakers but, they do play through zone B

J

Jerryshenk

Audiophyte
this article is quite old, but it could be helpful:
I read that Dennon-English paper...quite helpful but, still no luck. I took the DVD setting and left the HDMI input alone (HDMI1) and set the coax to none. I also checked the input levels - set to 0db - I suppose that means that it won't do any adjustment.

One thing to point out, when I connect my laptop, it switches the output to the HDMI port and recognizes the DENON AVR and cuts out the internal speaker. But still, nothing comes through. I've tried both the HDMI and the coax (2 RCA jacks, right?) ports and don't get anything.

Somebody suggested doing a factory reset - it really seems like there isn't much "custom" work done on this thing so, I think I'll try that in a bit.

One question - it looks like I could assign separate inputs to "main" and "zone 2" - is that correct? In most of my testing, I've only been changing the source for "main" but, this last time and a few other times, I've changed them both so I don't think that's related to my problem.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I read that Dennon-English paper...quite helpful but, still no luck. I took the DVD setting and left the HDMI input alone (HDMI1) and set the coax to none. I also checked the input levels - set to 0db - I suppose that means that it won't do any adjustment.

One thing to point out, when I connect my laptop, it switches the output to the HDMI port and recognizes the DENON AVR and cuts out the internal speaker. But still, nothing comes through. I've tried both the HDMI and the coax (2 RCA jacks, right?) ports and don't get anything.

Somebody suggested doing a factory reset - it really seems like there isn't much "custom" work done on this thing so, I think I'll try that in a bit.

One question - it looks like I could assign separate inputs to "main" and "zone 2" - is that correct? In most of my testing, I've only been changing the source for "main" but, this last time and a few other times, I've changed them both so I don't think that's related to my problem.
The details are on page 92 of the manual as to how you can set the zone's source. The purpose of zones to an extent is to have main play one source, zones other sources....there is an option for having a zone play the same source as main.

The input level adjustment is to match different input sources with very different input levels (I use it to help even out a phono input to my others).

You may still need another setting for audio to make in the computer for routing audio.

J

Jerryshenk

Audiophyte
Is it possible that all the inputs on the back go through a different amp or processor that is different from the front input? Could something there be fried? The sonos connection is working great and, I believe the radio works...just static, never tuned anything it but, it does make noise.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The front input is just the v.aux input, just a different location. Have you tested all the inputs? Probably need an antenna to test the tuner.

J

Jerryshenk

Audiophyte
I haven't tested all the outputs. I guess it's possible that a few inputs are bad...is.that what you are suggesting? I think I've figured out how to assign them so that wouldn't be too hard at this point.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's possible something is broken but until you test with known working stuff, hard to know....you were the one wondering.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yikes, what a mess. Just start over. Unhook everything from the receiver and reset it. Connect only the speakers you want in the Main Zone. I noticed Zone 2 and Zone 3 are both ON in the provided pic. Who knows what is going on around back?!

Nobody can possibly help with the current settings and connected devices in other rooms without being there but many can help with a basic set up of the Main Zone when starting from scratch.

J

Jerryshenk

Audiophyte
It's possible something is broken but until you test with known working stuff, hard to know....you were the one wondering.
Well, I tested a few more HDMI inputs. Number 3 (CD) didn't work but, number 2 (HDR) did. We're hosting a party for a group of young adults. They hoped to be able to connect with a laptop to an HDMI port and use Christmas their playlist. Now, they can.

I've learned a lot about what I have here...thanks everybody for all the ideas.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently moved to a house that has a Denon AVR-3310CI surround receiver. I can't figure out how to get any of the inputs working except for the input on the front that is connected to a Senos.

I have a few devices that I've tried to connect using RCA connectors and/or HDMI. For example, I have a newer laptop with and HDMI port so, I thought I could connect that to HDMI 1 on the back and then select DVD which seems to be mapped to that port...no luck. I also tried using the headphones jack on the laptop, and RCA adapter and both the audio ports for the DVD and the audio ports for the CD (port 3). No luck and I've tried studying the manual and I'm just not getting anywhere.
It's ALL in the manual. Try YouTube- you should be able to find something for a Denon AVR- the speaker setup is the same for most models.

Connect an FM antenna and find out if the radio works. If it does, move on.

Connect something to the input that shows on the front display when you press the button that corresponds to the button- let's use the BD player as an example. It will also show the type of input used, which should be HDMI. If it doesn't work, go to the network settings and click on Information, then look for the IP address- it will need to be hard wired but don't look at that as a bad thing- wired is better.

Once you find the IP address, open the browser on a computer and type it in the search bar in the browser. You'll see a web page that allows you to make all of the settings and at the lower left corner, you'll see a button with 'Save'- do that and save it to your desktop but don't change the name of the file. You won't be able to see any info if you try to open it.

Do the hard reset ONLY if you can't get it to work in any way.
Once the AVR has been reset, go into the menu using the remote control or the buttons on the front and set up the network connection, making note of the IP address. Enter the address in the search bar and once you reach the AVR's GUI, check the speaker settings. You can make all of the input and output settings in the IP-based setup. Once you set it up the way you want it, save the setting and put it in a folder that makes finding it easy if you need to restore it later. Add a date, 'initial setup' or something like that.

If you were able to see the settings before the hard reset and most are the same as the ones you used for the settings, you can use it for an alternate setup but since it may be different form the way you want to set it up, just save it to serve as a

If you save the configuration and want to keep it that way after the hard reset, find the IP address and look at the lower left- you'll see a button labeled 'Load'- click on that and it will show the window for finding a file, so you'll need to know where the saved configuration is located on your computer. It might be called config/dat or something similar.

At the lower left corner on the back panel, you'll see an RS-232 port- this is for controlling it with Crestron, Control4,, AMX or some other system that's geared toward the custom integration industry- it won't do anything else for you.

highfigh

highfigh

Yikes, what a mess. Just start over. Unhook everything from the receiver and reset it. Connect only the speakers you want in the Main Zone. I noticed Zone 2 and Zone 3 are both ON in the provided pic. Who knows what is going on around back?!

Nobody can possibly help with the current settings and connected devices in other rooms without being there but many can help with a basic set up of the Main Zone when starting from scratch.
As I posted, it IS possible to see what's "going on around back".

highfigh

highfigh

Well, I tested a few more HDMI inputs. Number 3 (CD) didn't work but, number 2 (HDR) did. We're hosting a party for a group of young adults. They hoped to be able to connect with a laptop to an HDMI port and use Christmas their playlist. Now, they can.

I've learned a lot about what I have here...thanks everybody for all the ideas.
Once the speaker and network settings have been made and, you should be able to stream to the AVR using a computer, iPhone or iPad. You can also connect a smart phone to the USB port on the front- you opened the access panel, right? Some Android devices don't work with AirPlay, but this AVR does. Read the manual about streaming. You can also save music to a thumb drive and play it using the same port on the front- if you can't keep people from messing with it, use a USB extension cable and hide the thumb drive. It will need to be formatted in Fat32- save the music/tracks as .wav files.

BTW- the App Store and Google Play store have apps for controlling Denon receivers.

If you want to avoid problems with someone accidentally trying to make the volume level too high, you can determine the maximum setting in the menu- you can also make the display show 0-100 or -99dB to +15dB and +15dB should never be available, IMO. In fact, -0dB is higher than you should go, unless one of the sources is much quieter than the rest- I set anything with the ability to be limited to -10dB because it leaves headroom and prevents blown speakers (assuming the speakers can handle the AVR's power). Also, the volume at turn on can be set- I use -30dB because it eliminates bad surprises when it turns on, rather than leaving it at the Last setting, which will be as loud as it was when it was turned off.

Did the previous homeowner leave any remote controls for you?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis