K

keegster

Audiophyte
I am looking @ buying a new sound system, problem being i'm not sure what i'm looking for. I just bought a vizio 42" lcd, didn't want to spend a lot on tv. I have a 18ft. x 21ft. room no carpet cathedaral ceiling 13ft. high. I also have some amazing old equipment a optonica (sharp high end) amp/receiver and cerwin vega 12" speakers both items @ least 25 years old, but still pump the tunes. One problem being the speakers are bulky.
also i don't care to much about the sound for tv as long as it gives a little bit of something, I am really concerned about my sound for my music, big music listener. Not sure if these home theater systems are made for just tv, or do they really work well for music? If they do I would consider unloading my old system so i can incorporate tv sound w/ music, if not I would probley go cheap home theater in a box and keep my old stereo. I'm willing to spend about $500 on amp. and about $1000 on speakers. what would you recommend. I like the Denon Amps, speakers? need some advise???

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, a home theater system can be made as musicale as you want it to be.

Here is my advice; if you like Denon, try to buy online - it will be cheaper. Stay under your budget on the receiver, then you can spend more on speakers.
If you are going with the full 5.1 system, go cheep on the surround speakers, as they are important enough for movies, but add nothing for two channel music.
Larger, high quality, high sensitivity bookshelf speakers with a musical subwoofer (or two) should give you better results then tower speakers of the same price.
And lastly, get some room treatments; the way you described your room it sounds like it’s very “live”, you may not need much to fix it, perhaps just some thick curtains or some rugs.

As for speakers, you will have to audition some to find what you like, but here are some to look for:
JM Lab-Focal
KEF
PSB
NHT
Monitor Audio
Infinity
Mordaunt Short
....just to name a few. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers