new system set up????

S

swetzel

Audiophyte
:confused: Morning all,

I recently purchased the ONKYO HT-S780 7.1 home theater system and the SONY KDF-E50A10 TV. The tv is on its way, and last night I hooked the rec. and (5.1) speakers up I didnt hook up the surround back L/R. My real ? is the listening modes of the system. This is very confusing and I am not sure which is best to use and when to use each of them.

HT-S780 System (receiver in the system is HT-R530)
http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own_manuals.cfm?cat=Systems

I basicly need help with the configuration of the speaker system. I have digital cable with DVR, DVD(cyberhome w/ component, s-video, and composite video, digital coaxial audio cable, and analog audio cables), CD (pioneer analog audio cable), VCR (magnavox composite video and analog audio cable), and Onkyo Receiver!

Also need description on adjusting the distances for the speakers and if it is worth the effort for the 2 rear surrounds to be ran through the walls.

Speaker set B cuts off set A to 5.1 what cuts off and why, should I run only A or A&B??

Any help is appreciated greatly!
Swetzel

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you haven't yet done so, I would recommend reading the manual for setup questions as Onkyo does a pretty good of explaining things in their manuals. I have an Onkyo receiver and can answer any further questions.

For the listening modes, it depends on the format of the source you are playing. If the components are connected correctly and the digital inputs assigned properly, the receiver will automatically recognize the format and use that listening mode. So, if you are playing a DVD with a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, it will automatically use the DD decoder. Depending on the format, you can also choose to use other listening modes; eg. if the source is DD 2.0 (many music/concert DVDs, digital cable channels), you could use ProLogic II Movie/Music mode to get 5.1. If you have all 7.1 speakers connected, you could use PLIIx to get 7.1 from a 2 channel source.

All setup, except digital input assignment, is done from the setup menu and is very simple. For speaker distance, you just enter the actual distance from the speaker to your listening position. You also tell it which speakers you have and set the xover frequency for bass management. You will want to calibrate the system using the internal test tones and an SPL meter and the manual describes that process.

Speakers A and B can be used separately or together. If you had an additional two speakers, say in the patio, you could connect them to the B terminals. Your main front speakers go to the A terminals.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I installed one of these for a customer about a month ago.

If you aren't using another set of speakers in another room, then you will not use the "B" speaker terminals at all. In which case, you should have the receiver set to A only.

Use the digital coax for the DVR. You may need to also have the analog connections hooked up also though, as some cable boxes won't output all stations via digital.

If you have a larger room, I'd recommend using the rear center speakers also.

This receiver didn't have an "auto detect" function that I could see, it seemed to just keep whatever was the last used mode, but this customer also only had analog connections at the time. The mode to use for viewing various things may vary depending on what you are watching and how the signal is broadcast. For stereo and Dolby Surround broadcasts, I'd probably use Dolby PLII. For digital cable broadcasts in Dolby Digital 5.1, the receiver should switch to Dolby Digital automatically if it is connected correctly. Pretty much, you can just try out the various modes and see which you prefer, is what it comes down to.

S

swetzel

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick response, Just found out that my tv should be in and will get it tonight (hopefully).

Just asking is the set up I bought a good one or should I have bought something different?

Another ? on cables, I will need to get a s-video for one of my components, should i spend the money for monster cable or get a cheaper set, does this matter for s-video.

Does the Monster powerstrip With filters really make a difference also?

Also I heard that dig. coaxial and dig optical are equal in performance is this true??

I read throught the manual, but havent really had time or the new tv to set up permanently and correctly!! Maybe tonight

Again thanks
Swetzel

K

Kurt C.

Audioholic Intern
swetzel said:
Another ? on cables, I will need to get a s-video for one of my components, should i spend the money for monster cable or get a cheaper set, does this matter for s-video.

Does the Monster powerstrip With filters really make a difference also?

Also I heard that dig. coaxial and dig optical are equal in performance is this true??
No to Monster on both counts. The quality of their products doesn't justify the price. Go to RadioShack and pick up a decent S-video cable. Dig. coaxial and dig optical are equal in performace, but in my experience inexpensive optical cables often give a flimsy connection that can come loose=no sound. I'd go for dig. coaxial from RadioShack. While you're there, pick up their analog sound level meter (SPL meter). It's only about 30 bucks and will make the important task of setting relative volume levels on your speakers much easier. Final piece of advice: get a copy of the Avia or Digital Video Essentials setup DVDs. They'll take you step by step through the process of optimizing both your new TV and audio components.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For the price, I think the 780 is tough to beat. The speakers aren't spectacular (to be expected for the price), but the receiver is very decent and you can always buy new speakers down the road.

For a system of this level, I wouldn't spend top dollar on a power conditioner. Just go down to Home Depot and get a decent surge suppressor that includes a CATV/SAT connection to protect all paths into your system. Should only be around $30.

For inexpensive digital connections, I say coax because it's usually less expensive and has a more sturdy connection. You can use a composite video cable for digital coaxial also.

S

swetzel

Audiophyte
receiver

Thanks for all the advice.

Everything is up and running, however my receiver gets very hot!!!

I had a Kenwood receiver before this one and it never got hot, even if I left it on overnight by accident.

I called Onkyo and they said it should be hot but use it in an open cabinet.
This causes a problem because I have a closed cabinet in the rear and glass doors in front. Do I have reason to be concerned or should it be hot because it is a High current amp? Should I leave the glass door open, cut out the back or install some type of fan. I could probably fry an egg on it! I can touch it, but it is hot!

Just concerned, hot=short term life ?????????
Swetzel

K

kellyk75

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I am new to this forum and am considering buying the same system. I have also heard about this receiver getting too hot. I think what Onkyo did was take their TX-SR503 receiver (75 W/ch) and upped the internal amps to (110 W/Ch). THey didn't install an internal fan, but is this going to cause solder joints to fail & such if it runs too hot?

Also, I don't want to hijack the thread, but does anyone have an opinion on the sound quality of this package? It seems to me that the high frequencies suffer a bit in some movies. I tested Star wars III & Batman Begins in the store and the speach & lightsabers seemed to be missing a lot of treble. When you hear stuff like glass breaking and sparks, the treble was ample, but not in regular sounds. Could this have been due to a filter or something in the setup or has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis