New subwoofer recommendations?

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
Hi folks. I currently have a Polk RM6750 subwoofer which came with a home stereo set. The back says its 100 watts. Receiver is Yamaha RX-V465. I'm looking to get a better subwoofer but not sure what is good and what is not. Just look for higher wattage? Sometimes I hear the sub go past its limits and it kind of sounds bad so I want to improve this. Just looking to upgrade. Thanks

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Hi folks. I currently have a Polk RM6750 subwoofer which came with a home stereo set. The back says its 100 watts. Receiver is Yamaha RX-V465. I'm looking to get a better subwoofer but not sure what is good and what is not. Just look for higher wattage? Sometimes I hear the sub go past its limits and it kind of sounds bad so I want to improve this. Just looking to upgrade. Thanks
You need to specify price range.

The only way to KNOW FOR CERTAIN that performance is high, is to base purchase on a product that has had extensive 3rd party measurements performed, that include SPL vs. distortion at various SPL levels and other measurements. You can, to a degree, ascertain with reasonable confidence, the performance by also basing it on other products in brand families that are closely related to products that were actually analyzed as I specifed above.

The starting price for serious sound quality powered retail subwoofers is about $400-$600. Or you can spend a little more on a sort of 'kit', that involves you simply assembling pre-finished parts, and get even higher performance. I can recommend such things that will give you extreme high performance for less $$ than going to a retail product. $800-$900 in retail can get you a good subwoofer if you pick very carefully. $800-$900 doing it with parts suggested by an expert can give you a reference grade product that you can not really improve upon reasonably with any retail product.

-Chris

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
Sorry not really looking for all that right now. Cant' afford it or I would love to..

I'm looking to spend about 100-150 if possible. Color would be black. Uses would be mainly home theater. No size limitations for the sub itself really. Room size is about 15x17. Thanks

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Right now the best deal going for that price range is to get two of the Dayton 10" powered subs. They are known to be the best possible for low budgets such as this. At this time, they are on sale for almost half price. Getting two of them will give you better dynamics and get higher sound quality (less strain using two subs instead of one, and better integration with mains with one sub on each side of room, if crossing higher than about 50-60Hz).

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-633

-Chris

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
Now do I string them together somehow? I only have one sub out on my receiver.

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
In looking at it, it seems to have L/R ins and outs. I think you connect them this way right?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
In looking at it, it seems to have L/R ins and outs. I think you connect them this way right?
It's just a regular subwoofer. You can connect one mono RCA to each amp, or two (it just mixes the two as L and R to mono internally in that case).

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
So i could do in one and out to the other?
You could, but it would not make much sense. If you have one on each side of the room, this means you will have to have one shorter cable to connect from the receiver to one, than a very very long cable to go from the subwoofer on one side of the room to the next. The Y splitter lets you use two relatively short cables.

-Chris

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
Doesn't that decrease output somehow? Sorry i'm new to most of this and just want to understand.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
You could put a decent DIY (sort of) sub together with a total cost of $180. I've done it and the results are very good. Start with an enclosure - you'll need a driver - get the one Deep Surplus recommends - and an amp. How about a 110w $35 amp? Crazy? No - here it is. Make sure to follow all directions on that NHT page.

It looks great - sounds great - and best of all only cost me $179 shipped. I use it in my bedroom - its not the loudest sub you'll ever hear - but at less than $200 none of them will blast you out of your chair. It keeps up with any sub I've heard in that price range.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
Went with the Acoustic Audio HD-SUB10 10".
I hope your experience with that brand is better than mine was.

They give you 10 days to register that sub. If you don't and something goes wrong you are out the money. Repeated claims by me to paypal were ignored - seems paypal doesn't give a rats ***.

Ask me - I know.

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
I hope your experience with that brand is better than mine was.

They give you 10 days to register that sub. If you don't and something goes wrong you are out the money. Repeated claims by me to paypal were ignored - seems paypal doesn't give a rats ***.

Ask me - I know.
It's gotta be better than what I have and from talking to people it sounds acceptable. Can't afford what i really want to spend right now so hopefully it will be okay. I got mixed reviews from everyone for anything so just time to go for it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis