M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
I have been thinking about replacing my VERY old speakers.. SM120's and 12" infinity powered sub.

I Like punchy, snappy bass (80's pop / rock)

Any recommendations in 600.00 per speaker range? (not including the sub)

I have been looking at the Energy CF70's and am going to setup a demo locally... how do they compare to other's in their price range and the Energy RC series?

Thanks!
DAN (SuperNewb)

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
yes 600 each plus the sub... 500?
Also has anyone seen any RC-70's left in stock ANYWHERE?

Last edited:
JaBear

JaBear

Junior Audioholic
you might want to take a look at the def tech 8040s they are a bit more but they have the subs built in them if it's still not enough base you can jump it up to the 8060s

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
Thanks guys keep them coming! I can do a bit more for the right speakers...
I'll generate a list tomorrow...

Last edited:
M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
you might want to take a look at the def tech 8040s they are a bit more but they have the subs built in them if it's still not enough base you can jump it up to the 8060s
Very interesting... they WILL be on the list.. I did a little research and will try to find them local to listen to..

I am a bit worried that I am introducing more electronics to repair when the amps go bad....:confused:

JaBear

JaBear

Junior Audioholic
Very interesting... they WILL be on the list.. I did a little research and will try to find them local to listen to..

I am a bit worried that I am introducing more electronics to repair when the amps go bad....:confused:
most speakers come with 5yr coverage, both the energy and def tech are on display at Magnolia, they are a store within a store at a Best Buy. If cost of repairs down the road are a worry they do sell extended...their warranty is a piggy back that give you coverage for 9 years... when I bought mine I only bought it on one speaker so if one goes that would be the one attached to it, figured what are the chances both will fail.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Call newegg and see if they have any Infinity P363s for around $150 each.

These tower speakers have a retail price of about $700/pr, and they sound much better than tower speakers that cost $1,000/pr.

You can check the Stereophile review of the Infinity P360s.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Call newegg and see if they have any Infinity P363s for around $150 each.

These tower speakers have a retail price of about $700/pr, and they sound much better than tower speakers that cost $1,000/pr.:rolleyes:
Now you know you're not supposed to smoke kryptonite.:p

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
So I finally got a chance to listen to two of the speakers on my list...
The Dev tech 8040 and the energy CF70's.
I also heard a set of B&W's as well (they sounded the best)

The 8040's sounded almost like my old speakers... kinda muddy... NICE bass response though...

The CF70's were brighter and sounded MUCH better with a sub running...

They were driven by a 4311CI (most likely to AVR I will end up using day to day)

The B&W'S sounded overall the best but are a tad out of my range and honestly they didn't blow me away to the point of thinking I need to spend more..
The CF's are on sale until 4/3 for 700 a pair... not bad...

I need to make time to run to a real speaker store though before I pull the trigger...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So I finally got a chance to listen to two of the speakers on my list...
The Dev tech 8040 and the energy CF70's.
I also heard a set of B&W's as well (they sounded the best)

The 8040's sounded almost like my old speakers... kinda muddy... NICE bass response though...

The CF70's were brighter and sounded MUCH better with a sub running...

They were driven by a 4311CI (most likely to AVR I will end up using day to day)

The B&W'S sounded overall the best but are a tad out of my range and honestly they didn't blow me away to the point of thinking I need to spend more..
The CF's are on sale until 4/3 for 700 a pair... not bad...

I need to make time to run to a real speaker store though before I pull the trigger...
Look at the PSB Image series of speakers. I think they may have teh sound you are looking for if you like the B&Ws

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Your speaker description sounds spot-on to me.

You would love MB Quart QLS 830 for 1k.

PM sent.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Look at the PSB Image series of speakers. I think they may have teh sound you are looking for if you like the B&Ws
I thought the PSB Imagine T sounded pretty good.

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
Your speaker description sounds spot-on to me.

You would love MB Quart QLS 830 for 1k.

PM sent.
The 684's..(small guys) They did sound good though.. kinda warm but not to much...crisp..

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis