New Speakers/Monitors

M

Malazan

Enthusiast
Hi, I would like some suggestions on Bookshelf Speakers. The room will be about 10x12, my budget is 600.00 or less

I'm pretty new at all of this, and a little confused about Monitors vs. Speakers:confused: I always thought they were the same.

I don't know if I need active or passive? They will mostly be used for playing Rocksmith 2014, but also my music, gaming and and possibly my guitar work if I get an effects processor.

Thank you

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Effectively, they are different words for the same thing.

Active means you just need the right connection types to plug into their inputs. Passive means you have a receiver/amp already to power them. Passive is more common and active, depending on what you're really looking for, will tend to be more expensive because they are amplified (but then you don't need a receiver/amp obviously). What do you have already?

M

Malazan

Enthusiast
If I go passive, I will want an amplifier. Would 600.00 dollars be enough for a decent pair of Active Monitors? Or should I get a cheaper pair of passives say 300.00 and an amp such as the Emotiva UPA-200?

M

Malazan

Enthusiast
I would run it out of my line out on my PC sound card to the UPA-200

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I own the passive versions of those Behringers, very good for the price. You can get the passive versions for $220 a pair at the moment, that is a terrific price for them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Back when I was in a super cool industrial band we used these for desktop mixing:

Amazon.com: Behringer TRUTH B2031A Active 2-Way Reference Studio Monitor Pair: Musical Instruments

They were very good for the price, IMO. They are active, and have some bass boundary compensation. XLR and 1/4" inputs as well.
Those are the same thing I already linked above :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
and possibly my guitar work if I get an effects processor.
If you are interested in any sort of pro or semi pro music stuff - you will be better off with budget pro audio speakers.
Monitors are subsidiary of these, specifically designed for recording and studio audio monitoring. Active have built-in amps, passive don't. Home speakers would not have correct balanced inputs which most likely would be needed for any pro audio devices - aka interfaces, mixers, processors etc...

I would highly recommend to stick above suggestions for active monitors

I would also like to add my own 2c:
I highly advice same ones as I own and love - JBL LSR2325p - you don't need to get the larger 8" version as 2325p with 5.25" drivers and ported design have plenty of bass already to fill small to mid sized room.

M

Malazan

Enthusiast
If you are interested in any sort of pro or semi pro music stuff - you will be better off with budget pro audio speakers.
Monitors are subsidiary of these, specifically designed for recording and studio audio monitoring. Active have built-in amps, passive don't. Home speakers would not have correct balanced inputs which most likely would be needed for any pro audio devices - aka interfaces, mixers, processors etc...

I would highly recommend to stick above suggestions for active monitors

I would also like to add my own 2c:
I highly advice same ones as I own and love - JBL LSR2325p - you don't need to get the larger 8" version as 2325p with 5.25" drivers and ported design have plenty of bass already to fill small to mid sized room.

Would the newer JBL lsr305 be comparible?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Would the newer JBL lsr305 be comparible?
The new series were introduced at much lower initial price. Your guess is as good as mine on what was charged to achieve that

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The new series were introduced at much lower initial price. Your guess is as good as mine on what was charged to achieve that
I've been looking at them both. From what I can tell, the most significant change is that they removed any unbalanced connection. Gotta save a few dollars in hardware for sure.

The trade off is flexibility, I would prefer the older model with the option of balanced or unbalanced.

However, it is purely a hunch, but I suspect that the new models are a bit more accurate and/or better dispersion due to more time and better software to design the tweeter waveguide.

Bottom line, I would prefer the older version, but think I would be satisfied either way.

P

puckhead

Audioholic Intern
Another vote for the Emotiva Airmotiv 6 - they're on sale now for $599 including shipping (I have no affiliation with Emotiva). They are a very nice sounding monitor with solid, tight bass and smooth and detailed mids/highs. I have a pair of the 4's in my garage that sound great playing lossless (ALAC/FLAC) files straight from an iPod/Sansa. Wtih a good soundcard and properly set-up audio player software you should be quite pleased with the results.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$160 (Pair of Infinity P163 from Amazon Warehouse)

$280 (Denon 2113 from Electronics Expo)

M

Malazan

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Does it matter what type of music I listen to? I listen to Heavy Metal, Hard Rock. Or is a good speaker a good speaker no matter the music?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Does it matter what type of music I listen to? I listen to Heavy Metal, Hard Rock. Or is a good speaker a good speaker no matter the music?
A good speaker is a good speaker, and won't play favorites with musical genres. Some genres are more challenging than others, like opera, massed vocals, full orchestra classical...Heavy Metal/hard rock are typically less demanding. The studio monitors will have kickin' dynamics that commercial speakers at similar prices will have a hard time matching. Probably better in other areas as well. I personally like the JBL lsr's, but the other studio monitors mentioned in the thread probably offer similar results.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis