New room, new problems

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
So me and my GF bought a house a few months ago. The livingroom is about 6,9 meters long and 3,8m wide. I have the front speakers and tv on the narrower wall and the main seating positions out in the middle of the room.

The bass response feels very flat compared to my apartment setup where i hade the seating position against a backwall.

Also the bass is overwhelming in the sofa to the right for obvious reasons.

Should i place the sofa against the windows and the speakers om the right wall?

And yes, a second pc-4000 will be added in the future.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'd keep the speakers where they are, the windows will create more problems if the speakers are pointed right at them.

If you can take acoustic measurements, you can see what frequencies are peaking. The PC4000 should allow you to apply filters to those frequencies to lower their amplitude. Start there before adding a second sub.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup. Hard to offer any guidance without some measurements to show what's going on in the room. Like Warrior mentions, once you can see which frequencies are making it boomy you can cut those.

I will say the sofa isn't really in an optimal spot for listening. Getting your bass dialed in across a large area can be tricky and a second sub might help with that, but if you spend a lot of time on the couch I'd consider moving it.

*Edit: Nice Ultra towers you got there! I had those for quite a while and loved them!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also. The center of a room is usually good at sucking out bass.

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replies. The couch is the "grandma seat" aka my GF:s seat. She often complains that there is too much bass and now i can show her with measurements why ;).

I did a fresh YPAO setup and made som measurements with REW 0-20000hz, 60-100hz crossover. Sub on/off. YPAO on/off and also one measurement in the couch with 80hz crossover.

The sub is without any eq filter in the measurements btw. I did get it a bit flatter by lowering around 45-60hz in the SVS app.

Measurements: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1flAPjc7w0Uuw4G9Zu3TkaOSFbDno_6TK?usp=sharing

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
OK, I don't know what happened that made me ask about the left rear corner, must have had one o' my spells. I meant the left front corner- the big black thing.

Being at the rear wall is an area where the sound has a surface to reflect from and your ears were at a place where they could receive the energy from the speakers as well as from the wall- that's additive, but only if you're at the correct distance. If you move your seats forward and backward, you should notice changes in the sound- at some places, it will be strong, some will be weak and some will be OK, but neither strong nor weak. This corresponds to the note's wavelength and can be seen if you use a standing wave (room mode) calculator. The one dimension that was omitted is the room's height and it's important because sound is propagated in three dimensions, as are the reflections.

Please show the height.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis