New receiver / New surround sound question

tomconno

tomconno

Audiophyte
Hello everyone I have a question that might already be answered but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I bought a Denon 1912 and Energy take classic 5.1 and I have them all installed and setup. My question is there a way for me to control my sub completely from my Denon because I noticed I can still change the way the sub performs from the knobs on the back of it.

So right now I am pretty sure my sub is set all wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to get my sub set correctly.

Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
From what can read about your system, you'll always be able to control the subwoofer by it's internal controls. I cannot see a way to bypass them completely.

Buy, you might be able to work around them. First, turn the crossover frequenct all the way up. Odds are the crossover in your receiver will cut it off well below that.

Noa, for the volume: I'm temped to say to simpky turn the volume all teh way up and let the receiver control the level but that might prove difficult, I'd just set it "by ear" and play with the best combination between the receiver and subwoofer controls. Perhaps keeping the sub level towards the middle end of the range might help.

tomconno

tomconno

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick reply I will try what you said and let you know the results. Also what should I do about phase?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
The phase switch allows you to make sure your subwoofer is in phase with the rest of your system. Listen to the system, flick the switch listen again. The one that sounds better is where you keep it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Grador is right on with the phase switch, however I wouldn't necessarily just crank the sub level all the way up. IMO, controlling the sub through your denon will get you only so far. I like being able to make more precise adjustments using the subwoofers knobs. I usually set the sub to about halfway, calibrate using the receivers onboard system (audessy or something else) and then go through and then tweak the settings to taste. For certain content using the knob on the back of the sub provides me with more useful fine adjustments as I change content.

You didn't say, but I just want to make sure you have all your speakers set to small and the crossover set as high as it'll go (120 hz I think). Your satellites and center are both rated something like 115hz and 110hz on the low end, so you need to make sure your crossover setting is set correctly.

Other than that it's all placement. Finding the best place for the subwoofer can be a pain in the butt. The crudest method involves a lot of crawling, but can give you amazing results, depending on how far off you were in the first place. If your main use is HT I would seriously consider a second subwoofer as well since getting even coverage with only one is nearly impossible without something huge and expensive.

H

honeymonster

Enthusiast
I agree, set the level controls to half way on your sub and then adjust the final setting to your own taste.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis