New Receiver for New Speakers?

joshmv

joshmv

Audiophyte
Hey everybody, first post here but I've been a home theater enthusiast forever. Here's my deal, I just bought a whole new setup of Mission speakers (some of you may know them, high end speakers but are mostly in the UK) Anyways I've heard they need a pretty hefty receiver and I'm not sure if mine will do them justice. It's a Pioneer, probably about five years old, vsx-d409 to be exact. It's 5x100 and has all the digital connections I need at this time but it has a tendency to heat up very quickly while playing loud music. Now that I have some bigger speakers I'm afraid it might push it even harder and overheat easily not to mention more line noise which there is already a little bit of hiss when you have it turned up. I'm not sure if anyone will know exactly what I need but my question is what would be a good 5.1 receiver ( I don't need 6.1 or 7.1) for around $300 that might be better than what I have now and what would be the advantages. Thanks!

Josh

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
If you could spend a little more [50-$100 more] I would try to find a pioneer 1015tx supposed to be a heck of a receiver for the money.

I think Buckeyefan has one hopefully he'll chime in.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
joshmv said:
Hey everybody, first post here but I've been a home theater enthusiast forever. Here's my deal, I just bought a whole new setup of Mission speakers (some of you may know them, high end speakers but are mostly in the UK) Anyways I've heard they need a pretty hefty receiver and I'm not sure if mine will do them justice. It's a Pioneer, probably about five years old, vsx-d409 to be exact. It's 5x100 and has all the digital connections I need at this time but it has a tendency to heat up very quickly while playing loud music. Now that I have some bigger speakers I'm afraid it might push it even harder and overheat easily not to mention more line noise which there is already a little bit of hiss when you have it turned up. I'm not sure if anyone will know exactly what I need but my question is what would be a good 5.1 receiver ( I don't need 6.1 or 7.1) for around $300 that might be better than what I have now and what would be the advantages. Thanks!

Josh

Are you saying that with the old speaker the receiver was heating up? How did you check that? Hot to touch? Did it turn off and give a protection mode?

Just because you have bigger speakers, physically, doesn't necessarily mean you need a bigger amp. Maybe you can tell us the sensitivity and impedance of the old speaker and the new one. Maybe you don't really have a problem. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis