Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Let's look at two generic examples using the CEA-2010 industry standard measurement protocol.. Subwoofer *A* has a maximum output capability of 105dB at all measured frequencies----20,25,31,40,50,63hz. Subwoofer *B* has maximum output capabilities of 105dB at 20hz, 106dB at 25hz, 107dB at 31hz, and 110dB at 40hz, 50hz, and 63hz. Now, before we go further it is important to remember that at 105dB, subwoofer *B* will very likely maintain all of its inherent frequency response "linearity". So if the source material only requires 105dB of output....both subwoofers will sound very much alike. This assumes all other performance characteristics(group delay, impulse response, stored ringing, overall frequency response,etc) of the two example subwoofer are very similar too of course. For this example, let's assume these variables are all similar though so we can focus on one variable at a time.

Now, what if the source material requires the subwoofer to reproduce bass louder than 105dB at the seating position? What about 110dB? Well, subwoofer *A* will not provide ANY of this additional material that you are intended to hear and feel. All of the dyanmic headroom is "squashed" and the audio presentation will suffer accordingly. On the other hand, subwoofer *B* WILL provide all of this material in the 40hz and up range AND a good portion of it in the 25-40hz range. Will you experience all of the intended bass effects at the 110dB level from subwoofer B? No. But you will experience significantly more content that you are absolutely intended to hear/feel. The whole idea with audio reproduction is for the system to have the ability to reproduce AS MUCH of source material as possible.
Hey Tom,

I'll even go a little further than this. Between Sub A that has a 105dB of max output from 20Hz-63Hz, and Sub B that has more output from 32Hz on up, I'd posit that it's possible to even get more output from Sub B where the subwoofers are nominally equal, i.e. 20Hz and 25Hz.

The disconnect I see is looking at output with CEA bursts where we're only testing a single frequency at a time, versus the real world where a subwoofer is expected to play complex material. To align to this type of material, I think of the max output charts more as a matter of system resources. As an example, if Sub A is asked to deliver 100dB at 40Hz and 63Hz, that's going to require a greater fraction of system resources than it will for Sub B, leaving less for 20Hz content that's along for the ride.

Nachmanowicz

Nachmanowicz

Enthusiast
Setting aside all the rage back home, anybody got their hands on the S1500? Seriously considering buying one of them. It's light and it's crucial for me since I'd be checking it in on a plane.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
Hey Tom,

I'll even go a little further than this. Between Sub A that has a 105dB of max output from 20Hz-63Hz, and Sub B that has more output from 32Hz on up, I'd posit that it's possible to even get more output from Sub B where the subwoofers are nominally equal, i.e. 20Hz and 25Hz.

The disconnect I see is looking at output with CEA bursts where we're only testing a single frequency at a time, versus the real world where a subwoofer is expected to play complex material. To align to this type of material, I think of the max output charts more as a matter of system resources. As an example, if Sub A is asked to deliver 100dB at 40Hz and 63Hz, that's going to require a greater fraction of system resources than it will for Sub B, leaving less for 20Hz content that's along for the ride.
Hi Steve,

That is hard to argue with. I believe as more and more S3000i subs are shipped we'll see a lot more customer feedback too. For the 8(?) weeks we've been taking orders I believe we had "stock" for 5 days(ish). We're currently back ordered again.

Also, Josh Ricci just posted that he is only going to do output checks using the CEA-2010 method on future product reviews. That is interesting..;)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis