New Material for speaker wire?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Less expensive than copper, just as conductive per article:
Scientists discover ‘magical’ material that’s stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum — and its potential is dizzying (msn.com)

Inductance?
How soon will it be available?
House wiring?
Where did you read that it would be less expensive than copper?

My opinion is that if and when it gets produced and marketed, it will cost more than copper or aluminum. At present, copper also is not rare and is still affordable. We even have it in our food because our bodies need it to produce red blood cells.

By the way, Kevlar is not electrically conductive but it as a a tensile strength 10X greater than steel on an equal weight basis.

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the heads up. Who wants to start a cable company with me? I’m tired of working for a living. Need to get rich quick and buy my Perlistens to start.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could definitely be interesting. Like to know more about manufacturing process and materials/energy needed in that respect....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If it proves to be any good, you can bet that Audiophools will have a list of faults with it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Where did you read that it would be less expensive than copper?

My opinion is that if and when it gets produced and marketed, it will cost more than copper or aluminum. At present, copper also is not rare and is still affordable. We even have it in our food because our bodies need it to produce red blood cells.

By the way, Kevlar is not electrically conductive but it as a a tensile strength 10X greater than steel on an equal weight basis.
Well, it did say this:
If it is not less expensive why would it be an alternative to it?
Galvorn can be an alternative to rare and expensive copper — a crucial metal in electronics,

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well, it did say this:
Galvorn can be an alternative to rare and expensive copper — a crucial metal in electronics,

That's a $64K question at this time. Galvorn could be an alternative but under which circumstances? At present, it's time for speculations. IMO, time will tell us if the scientists' opinion was right and realistic. At present oxygen free copper speaker wire is still affordable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it did say this:

That's the closest I got, why specifics of materials and processes would be interesting at this time....

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks for the heads up. Who wants to start a cable company with me? I’m tired of working for a living. Need to get rich quick and buy my Perlistens to start.
What makes you think that starting a company to manufacturer ANYTHING isn't work?

highfigh

highfigh

That's a $64K question at this time. Galvorn could be an alternative but under which circumstances? At present, it's time for speculations. IMO, time will tell us if the scientists' opinion was right and realistic. At present oxygen free copper speaker wire is still affordable.
All Copper wire is nearly Oxygen free. The worst contains about .02-.04% Oxygen. Let's see a comparison of the Copper used for common audio cable and what's used in aerospace- in Copper wire, Silver is considered an impurity.

It will be hard to find a good replacement for Copper that's cost-competitive- Copper can be recycled and I didn't see anything in the Galvorn link about that.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All Copper wire is nearly Oxygen free. The worst contains about .02-.04% Oxygen. Let's see a comparison of the Copper used for common audio cable and what's used in aerospace- in Copper wire, Silver is considered an impurity.

It will be hard to find a good replacement for Copper that's cost-competitive- Copper can be recycled and I didn't see anything in the Galvorn link about that.
Galvorn is almost certainly a manufactured material, not a naturally occurring one, given the claimed properties and cost of "development". Unless they found it on an asteroid, i would not expect them to go digging it up out of the ground.

highfigh

highfigh

One of the first things I read in that link is "Galvorn is conductive at 10 MS/m today, but its true power is the combination of historically valued properties- if that means it conducts at 10 meters/second, why are they using non-standard units? The spec for Copper's conductivity is shown as
If I price it right I only need to sell one cable and I’m set for life lol.
If you find a buyer for such an expensive cable, please send their contact info to me- I have some stuff they're gonna want and it's really, really good.

highfigh

highfigh

Galvorn is almost certainly a manufactured material, not a naturally occurring one, given the claimed properties and cost of "development". Unless they found it on an asteroid, i would not expect them to go digging it up out of the ground.
How many of the materials that are used on a regular basis were accidents that weren't expected? Lexan, Post-it glue, Super Glue, microwave ovens and others weren't intentional.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How many of the materials that are used on a regular basis were accidents that weren't expected? Lexan, Post-it glue, Super Glue, microwave ovens and others weren't intentional.

Since it says it was being developed by the military, I would absolutely expect this isn't what they were shooting for.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Since it says it was being developed by the military, I would absolutely expect this isn't what they were shooting for.
Of course not. Weight to strength ratio most likely but if conductivity is like copper and price is more than competitive, then it will sneak into electrical cable markets I would think.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis