New HT equipment questions?

B

Billjfish

Audiophyte
I am adding a HT room on my house, the dimensions are 26'L by 20'W. It's currently framed and I am getting ready to order eqpt.
Screen: Da Lite 93" $700
Projector: BNQ PE770 $2550
AV Receiver Yamaha RX V2500 or Denon AVR 3805 ~$900
Speakers Klipsch F-3(2), C-3, S-3(2), Sub 12 ~$2000
Universal CD ??? ~250
Total Budget =$7000 including furniture (Close to maxed out)
This will be primarily to watch HD movies from dish and DVD content. Some music listening.

Also, Sams has a dell 2300mp dlp projector 2300 ansi 2100:1 contrast at low cost. Any thoughts on this?

Any suggestions on value improvements? I've taken some of the recommendations off this site to put this together. Not much info on Klipsch speakers here. I have Klipsch KG 5.5's that I love, Im hopeful that the F-3 line sounds as good.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Bill

Last edited:
Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Billjfish said:
I am adding a HT room on my house, the dimensions are 26'L by 20'W. It's currently framed and I am getting ready to order eqpt.
Screen: Da Lite 93" $700
Projector: BNQ PE770 $2550
AV Receiver Yamaha RX V2500 or Denon AVR 3805 ~$900
Speakers Klipsch F-3(2), C-3, S-3(2), Sub 12 ~$2000
Universal CD ??? ~250
Total Budget =$7000 including furniture (Close to maxed out)
This will be primarily to watch HD movies from dish and DVD content. Some music listening.

Also, Sams has a dell 2300mp dlp projector 2300 ansi 2100:1 contrast at low cost. Any thoughts on this?

Any suggestions on value improvements? I've taken some of the recommendations off this site to put this together. Not much info on Klipsch speakers here. I have Klipsch KG 5.5's that I love, Im hopeful that the F-3 line sounds as good.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Bill

A couple things, if you aren't planning on using your receiver as a preamp later on, then you may consider the Pioneer 1015tx great value and can find it under $500 from authorized dealers. This will give you around $500 or so more to spend on some better speakers. The Klipsch Synergy series in my opinion are extremely over priced. You can step up the the Reference series for not too much more money. Have you listened to the new Klipsch speakers? I know I find them way too bright with the horn tweeter which could get annoying for long listening periods. If you take the 500 you could save on the Pioneer 1015tx and put it towards your speaker budget you could be in the range to get Paradigm, Energy, or Axiom caliber speakers that IMHO blow away the klipsch speakers. Oh and Don't forget if your room is 20 feet wide, you don't have to spend a grand a piece on home theater seating, get some leather recliners or leather sofas, shop around, could be a lot less expensive. Hope everything goes well for you

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Agree, that if you like Klipsch speakers, go to the reference line. The RF35's are OK but the RF5's have a much more refined tone for not much more money. Nix the Klipsch sub....there are better choices for less money such as HSU or SVS. Putting your biggest chunk of change into the best speakers will give you the greatest rewards. With the sensitivity of the RF series Klipsch speakers you could actually go down a notch on the AVR (ie 2805, etc) and still have plenty of horsepower to make you ears bleed.

Universal CD? No DVD player?

Mort

B

Billjfish

Audiophyte
Sub question

What does HSU and SVS stand for with regard to subs?

As far as better speakers go, The Klipsch that I currently have are the best I have heard. I've heard a lot about Paradigm and would like to investigate that option. Any thoughts on model numbers?

Thanks again for the help!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hsu and SVS are brands. Hsu is the name of the founder, Dr. Hsu, and SVS stands for Stimpson Vanderhall (spelling?) Subwoofers.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Billjfish said:
What does HSU and SVS stand for with regard to subs?

I've heard a lot about Paradigm and would like to investigate that option. Any thoughts on model numbers?

Thanks again for the help!
For your budget you'll probably be in the Monitor Series.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeries/MonitorSpecs.htm

Amazing speakers, very natural sounding. I love the Monitor 7's, the Monitor 9's will have a little more bass. For a whole system check out the Monitor 7's or 9's, CC-370 for the center, and ADP 370 for surrounds. And Check out SV Subwoofers www.svsubwoofers.com for the low end, that would give you a wonderful speaker package and should keep you under 3 grand all together, even less if you work in a deal with your seller.

El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
Definately jump up to the referance line in Klipsch. They kind of cheapened the Synergy line for the mass consumer market. However. I have found that the RF-10 through 35 set of speakers are comperable to the old school Synergy lineup. If you buy a Klipsch sub go for one of the RSW subs over the RW set.

B

Billjfish

Audiophyte
Speaker Delima

After reading the Axiom review, I am further confused but perhaps they are the way to go. I can offset the differnce by buying a Yamaha HTR 5890.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Check out this section of the Axiom Message Boards. It's a list of people all over who are willing to let you come into their home to audition their Axiom setups before you order them online. Remember, it's always good to listen as much as you can, as speakers are by far the most subjective part of any setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis