New house speaker layout help!!!

A/VUSMCSGT

A/VUSMCSGT

Audioholic
Hello all. I'll be moving into a new house as soon as it's finished being built. In the attached picture, I have all channels except for the right side surround placed where I think they'll be best, and can fit. Please let me know of any suggestions as to where to put the other speaker. The ceilings are cathedral ceilings, about 13 ft. high at the peak and sloped to about 8 feet at the walls. Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't want to do stands because I have no crawl space or basement to route wires under the house, so all wires are going to be routed through the walls. The red arrows are the speakers, and the C is the center of the listening/watching area. Help me please!!!!

Attachments

2upFZ1

Enthusiast
Is the island open? I mean, is it just the countertop, and no upper cabinets?

If so, it is close to what I have. I ended up putting the rear surrounds in the kitchen on top of the cupboard, one on each end. Just dial in enough delay to compensate. As for the side surrounds, put the left one in the same place you were going to put the rear (left of door), and the right surround put on same corner as you have in drawing.

Check the floorplan I attached.

I wanted to keep the speakers near the seating area too, but when I am listening to music, wherever I am in either room, I get good sound.

Attachments

A/VUSMCSGT

A/VUSMCSGT

Audioholic
You're schematic looks good, I never thought of doing that. About the raised bar, it's about 35" high with nothing over it but the high ceiling. Are the rear surrounds audible that far away and that far up? It seems like it would work, and look better than my idea. I was originally thinking of putting the right side surround on the opposite wall of the left side one, but it would be much further away from the seating area than the left one. I'm just kind of scared of the rears being about twelve feet away, but then again, the fronts are about nine or ten also. How does yours sound? Thanks for the help.

Joe

Last edited:

2upFZ1

Enthusiast
My rears are about 12ft behind, and the fronts are 9ft, so we have similar distances. With the flat surfaces of your cabinets/floor/window/etc, there isn't much to dampen the sound and you should get good volume from the rears with them in the kitchen. Your Pioneer receiver can adjust the distance and level, so you will be fine. What speakers are you going to use in the rear?

A/VUSMCSGT

A/VUSMCSGT

Audioholic
Ya, I'm expecting it to sound good. I'm using the satellites from my Velodyne DECO package. I have the five satellites (center, left/right surround, left/right rear surround) and then DCM 3-way stacks in the front, and the velodyne sub. I'll make sure to use the MCACC calibration with the receiver, and then tweak from there if I have to. I like your music idea. When my wife and I clean all day on one of the days on the weekend, we always have music on pretty loud. Your setup will spread the music more, which is good for whole house cleaning. I'll make sure to post how it works out. The house should be done by the end of May so I won't be installing everything until sometime the week we move in. Thanks for all the help.

Joe

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis