New house, new projector needed.

A

amarygma

Audiophyte
Well, no new house yet. Our thought is to fix the Mitsubishi HC3000 we currently have and leave it with our current house as a feature and start afresh in the new house sometime this year (for real this time). My HC3000 has a buzzing- I thought a fan but likely the DLP color wheel.

I tend not to follow tech until I need to buy it (or have an idea it is forthcoming), because otherwise I end up shopping after I shop- and since new things come out and prices go down it's just a sad road of regret.

New house will be like current house in that we will have a dark basement to turn into theater space. Projector will have an attached computer and receiver with sound, so no worries there. It will be ceiling mounted at whatever throw distance is appropriate. The point is the room will be dark and I will buy a decent screen. Currently I keep our projector on economy mode (well I did until it screeched) and never felt it was dim (even with some ambient light on).

We use it for general TV watching, movies, and video gaming. I don't watch blu-rays because I'm cheap, so it's honestly mostly downloads and netflix with an occasional regular DVD. Granted, a next-gen console might have blu-ray, but I won't own a collection.

I liked my Mitsu HC3000. I looked into the 4000 as comparison/upgrade and it seems a steal at 800 (or 950 for the next model up), especially since I might end up dropping a third of that on the repair of the 3000. I don't know when 4K and all that fancy new jazz will come out (and be accessible), so I can't say this will be a projector to last ten years, although our current one is on year 6 or 7.

As a side note: I generally avoid 3D in theaters as I find it annoying visually (and am sadly distracted by every pandering cinemetography moment), so we can cross that feature off the list. If it comes with it I won't cry, but if it's not there- zero worries.

So- finally cutting to the chase- I have a few questions:

1) Are people still doing DLP for image quality? Should I look at other techs, like 3LCD or something? Last I remember the LCD was not as crisp colorwise. I have no problem with DLP rainbows. I can see gridlines on cheaper/lower rez projectors. I also have excellent night vision so I think I'm more rod than cone receptor-based vision.

2) Looking at reviews, it's hard to find a good, current market round-up that doesn't ONLY include the latest etc. I know Mitsu's not rolling out new models, but the specs I see still seem somewhat competitive. I'm not against other brands, but if I see a site reviewing only Epson and NEC, does that mean that they are just the newest, or a (paid) bias (a personal preference bias isn't as disconcerting)? Is Epson just garnering a lot of reviews everywhere because they're releasing a ton of models? I'm just not certain where to begin review-wise before I start hammering down individual model reviews.

3) Knowing I would probably be okay with something that is selling for under 1K, I would need education on why to spend over 2K. If you say amazingly better picture at 1500, game on, if I'm gaining additional lumens for bright rooms I won't have or 3D technology, no dice. I'd rather improve my theater experience with a nicer screen or really comfy seating. Or, if I get the house I currently have an offer on, there will be plenty of things to do to eat up money.

4) What contrast ratios are noticeable to mortals, and does it differ by manufacturer/technology?

5) I don't care what it looks or sounds like so long as it is smaller than your average wastebasket and quieter than the loudest sound I can make blowing out a candle. (voicelessly) I will want to mount it to the ceiling again, especially so visiting children can't touch it.

6) I don't care if the menus are insanely complicated and user un-friendly if I can still set it up once and pretty much only ever use the power button on the remote after that. It's not moving anywhere, and I won't tinker too frequently.

So I guess I'm looking for suggestions on review round-ups and models to look at, or at least some catch-up information. Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While there are some reviews here, Projector Central and Projector Reviews are both 'the' websites to go to for some serious review reading without the bias of some other sites.

At this time, BenQ has the W1070 and a few other models and Optoma has the HD25 and a few other models which are really strong performers. They have really made headlines for being very well build overall units.

Contrast ratios are meaningless from most manufacturers because... they lie. They aren't following any true standard to report their contrast numbers so it's just all meaningless junk. So, the reviews hold the key.

DLP has a big issue, IMO, because as you spend more, you get very little from DLP. They don't have a huge upgrade in image quality at $1,500 or $2,500, so for $1,000ish, you get the most quality from the entry level DLP units.

If you need lens shift, a long zoom lens, or other features (that you said you don't need), then DLP leaves you out in the cold for the most part at sub $3,000 prices. It's actually ridiculous! But, that's where LCD comes into play, and models like the Panasonic AE8000 and the Epson 5030 are well reviewed and offer a great deal of flexibility in placement while improving upon the black levels and contrast which the entry level DLP models have been putting out.

But, those models start at $2,000 and you are already happy with your DLP model.

The real winner in terms of quality, in my experience, comes from LCoS, specifically, the JVC RS46 projector (about $3,000). For the money, there is no projector with better 2D image quality, black level, or overall image 'pop'. It delivers all of it, and is ideally suited for a dedicated theater space. Dark room, dark paint, dark ceiling, dark carpet, 120" screen or less.

The cheaper DLPs are very good, but don't match up to the JVC, but for $1,000, they are pretty much impossible to beat.

I use the BenQ W1070 on a 161" screen and enjoy it, but when (if) I ever get around to finishing my basement and installing a true home theater, I will have my sights set on the JVC LCoS projectors at that time. I think the extra money is worth it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I like the LCDs myself they are way easier to setup IMO.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I like the LCDs myself they are way easier to setup IMO.
Are you referring to the lens shift included on certain models or some other aspect?

Lens shift and zoom range is really a function of the projector lens itself, not the technology. So, projectors like the RS46 (JVC) which uses LCoS technology, still has a lens with lens shift and a good zoom range.

Similarly, the BenQ W7000, soon to be upgraded to the W7500, has a pretty good lens zoom range and lens shift.

Still, Epson has really set the bar high with their 8350/8345 models and the 5030 model. These projectors have a ton of zoom range and a ton of lens shift in a well made projector. But, it does seem like LCD projectors suffer from some of the same issues that LCD displays do when it comes to motion handling. They also seem to have higher response times when it comes to video gaming, which is a huge complaint from serious gamers.

I still wish there were more DLP models with better lens assemblies with lens shift, zoom range, and flat out quality that Epson delivers in their lens on the 5030 and 8350 models. It would open up a lot more options for people with 'tough' setups.

M

mychaelp

Enthusiast
My 2 cents here:
I suggest going for an affordable solution while we wait out for the next 2 years (guess) for affordable 4K projectors to come on to the market. Reading the comparison here they show the BenQ W1070 (and I think it's on sale at Amazon price matching others this week) which includes a lens shift I believe in at least one direction making placement easier. Also it would last those 2 years or so until 4K is more affordable.
Contrast ratio is difficult to compare but as long as it's not an astronomical number by the manufacturer, they're still pretty accurate to give you a good idea of how blacks will look. Use lumens instead, which is what I do in comparing as I'm in the market since my HD65 is getting older and might need a new bulb soon.
Good luck and enjoy the new place!

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
In response to the question you did not ask: Do not neglect to include Blu-ray as a source in your new theater. None of the other sources you mention compare well in sound and picture quality to Blu-ray. The best DVDs have really good video, but their audio sounds canned and harsh compared with the lossless audio of Blu-ray. Whether you source it from a gaming console or an inexpensive player, it is the single biggest improvement you can make to your present and future setups.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis