New Home Theater/Media Room Setup

D

DialItUp

Audiophyte
I was advised by a friend to come over to AudioHolics for some advice on my new media room, so here I am.

I am in the process of building a new home that will have a decent sized room that I have every intention of making a home theater/media room.

The room is 13' X 20'.6". I am having the builders build in a spot into the ceiling right in front of my window for the projection screen to come down. Half of the room (About 12 ft) will be used for watching movies/games from the projector. The other part of the room will be used for my computer setup/wall mounted TV for other gaming purposes. I wanted to include this just so everyone knows the entire 20 ft will not be used just for watching movies, etc. from the projector setup.

I am mostly wanting to get some advice on what size and what kind of Automatic Projection screen I should get?

I have a few things for the set up already:

-BenQ w1080ST Projector
-Klipsch HD Theater 600 + Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series Subwoofer (So 2 subs)
-Sony STR-DN840 7.2 Channel 1050-Watt A/V Receiver

I have about $400 left on the budget to get my screen. I could POSSIBLY go over that for the screen if anyone sees fit, but it would be awesome if I could stay under that.

My other 2 questions involve audio for the room. I am considering doing a 7.2 setup instead of a 5.2 setup. I was thinking I might put some in-wall speakers up front, behind the projection screen.

As of right now, my set up with the Klipsch speakers will involve them all being mounted up at the ceiling. (Going for a very minimal wire look and space requirements needed. Really trying to keep the room as open as possible)

So, I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth it/a good idea to add 2 in-wall speakers up front and then use the Klipsch Satellite speakers I already have as front highs?

My other question was about the Subwoofer placement. Since I have two, I figured the best place would be to put them in the front of the room? I mostly want to know because I am going to run the cables in the walls for the subs before drywall and insulation are done.

Sorry for this being so long, I just wanted to be as descriptive as possible.

I have included the design of the room and then also a picture of what the front of my room will look like once the house is built. Hopefully that helps some.

My photo gallery: http://dialitup.smugmug.com/

Last edited:
F

Fungui

Enthusiast
I was advised by a friend to come over to AudioHolics for some advice on my new media room, so here I am.

I am in the process of building a new home that will have a decent sized room that I have every intention of making a home theater/media room.

The room is 13' X 20'.6". I am having the builders build in a spot into the ceiling right in front of my window for the projection screen to come down. Half of the room (About 12 ft) will be used for watching movies/games from the projector. The other part of the room will be used for my computer setup/wall mounted TV for other gaming purposes. I wanted to include this just so everyone knows the entire 20 ft will not be used just for watching movies, etc. from the projector setup.

I am mostly wanting to get some advice on what size and what kind of Automatic Projection screen I should get?

I have a few things for the set up already:

-BenQ w1080ST Projector
-Klipsch HD Theater 600 + Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series Subwoofer (So 2 subs)
-Sony STR-DN840 7.2 Channel 1050-Watt A/V Receiver

I have about $400 left on the budget to get my screen. I could POSSIBLY go over that for the screen if anyone sees fit, but it would be awesome if I could stay under that.

My other 2 questions involve audio for the room. I am considering doing a 7.2 setup instead of a 5.2 setup. I was thinking I might put some in-wall speakers up front, behind the projection screen.

As of right now, my set up with the Klipsch speakers will involve them all being mounted up at the ceiling. (Going for a very minimal wire look and space requirements needed. Really trying to keep the room as open as possible)

So, I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth it/a good idea to add 2 in-wall speakers up front and then use the Klipsch Satellite speakers I already have as front highs?

My other question was about the Subwoofer placement. Since I have two, I figured the best place would be to put them in the front of the room? I mostly want to know because I am going to run the cables in the walls for the subs before drywall and insulation are done.

Sorry for this being so long, I just wanted to be as descriptive as possible.

I have included the design of the room and then also a picture of what the front of my room will look like once the house is built. Hopefully that helps some.

My photo gallery: DialItUp

bump for a friend

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
What is your total budget? Are you set on keeping the speakers you have? Are they a new purchase or existing? As for the in wall behind the screen, I'd rather have 2 good ones than the klipsch you have. Mounting your front 3 channels up at the ceiling isn't ideal. Since the room is being built I'd run multiple coax around the room for optimal sub placement. Speaking of subs, IIWM I'd get one really good sub than two budget subs. That's what will give you that tactile and visceral feel that's in the HT experience.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
For placement in the room I would suggest leaving the screen out from the wall a bit and getting an acoustically transparent projector screen. That way you can place speakers, at least the center, behind the screen.

In wall speakers do not sound as good generally speaking. You get much more bang for your buck with bookshelf speakers.

If you are looking to upgrade your speaker situation I would go with new front speakers.

For specific advice on screens take a look at the Projectors / Screens section of this forum. (I don't know much about them specifically)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis